This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday, May 5th, 2018

Everything is going very well this week and workouts have been incredible. Obviously, I was quite full after a 3-day food fest so as much as I have been cleaning up the mess, the workouts have been some of the best I have had all prep. VERY strong and all 4 workouts of the 1st training rotation were great - including legs - which was a concern of mine as double cardio tends to beat the shit out of them.

I planned to add carbs pre/intra/post but have not done this yet because it seemed illogical coming off of the 3 days of high calories and carbs. I was right in that all workouts were great with PR numbers all 4 days while still running the same modified keto diet that I have been doing for many weeks now.

The plan is to add in the carbs during the 2nd training rotation as needed. I anticipate that I will add them for all 4 workouts BUT ... if I get to the 1st and 2nd workouts and feel I don't need them, I will hold off and not add them until I hit legs again on the 4th day of the 2nd training rotation. I do feel I will need them, though, but I will evaluate daily. I feel the longer I can keep carbs low, the better I will burn through body fat but I do not want to get to the point where workouts suffer, either.

I am tentatively scheduling a Skipload after this 2nd training rotation. I say "tentatively" because even though I anticipate this is what will happen, if I get into this 2nd training rotation and am benefiting well from the added carbs, I will likely then push a 3rd training rotation (with carbs for sure) and then Skipload.

It would be nice to be able to Skipload and then run the modified keto for at least the first training rotation and then add in carbs as needed either in the 2nd training rotation or the 3rd training rotation is I feel I can get it done without sacrificing workouts.

My weight is down below what it was before the 3 days off of the diet but not back down to my lowest weight, yet, which I didn't anticipate happening, anyway. It has only been 4 full days so being at 211.4 right now and still holding water and relatively full, I don't think I will get back to that baseline of 203 until next week at some point. However, I am still holding a good amount of water so it could drop off sharply any day now, too.

I am also considering not doing double cardio on my non-training days (the day after legs) because going back through my notes for this prep, I noticed that my workouts started really dragging when I added the double cardio. I am contemplating doing double cardio the first 3 days (of 4) for each rotation and then not doing cardio on leg day and not doing any cardio on my rest day that follows the leg day, as well. I feel this might allow my leg training sessions to be more productive vs. bombing legs and then not having any days off from double cardio. If I do this, it should also keep my metabolism off balance and my body not be able to "predict" that it is getting cardio every freakin day (or a leg session) and this should benefit my leg training considerably. Keep in mind that I was progressing very well for weeks on end without doing any cardio and then still progressing well when I added single session cardio but I have not progressed terribly well doing double cardio sessions. Yes, I have had both a 2-day Skipload almost 2 weeks ago and then I took 3 days off this last week from dieting so this obviously plays a part in the lack of progress but at the same time, my leg training took a serious hit when I started the double cardio.

I will also go another full week before starting clen again so that I can get my condition back and THEN start the clen cycle.

I anticipate great progress over this next week and I am going to do everything I can to keep my workouts as productive as possible. I think with the above changes and adjustments, progress moving forward should be pretty good.

Skip
    www.TEAMSKIP.com

Twitter: @IntenseMuscle
    Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: IntenseMuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP

For Training Inquiries: TEAMSKIP1@gmail.com

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

• Monday, May 7th, 2018

Weight on Sunday morning was down to 208.8 so still dropping and the added carbs are holding some fullness and fueling the workouts like I anticipated they would. I did not add the carbs to the 1st training rotation, instead opting to stay with the modified keto due to being so full from the long load last weekend. I was a bit anxious about adding the carbs to the 2nd rotation but I knew I needed to and after adding them to only the first day of the rotation, my weight dropped 2 pounds and my condition improved, as well.

I am quickly taking on a different look after only a couple of days on the carbs now but it is still too early to tell how I am going to respond. I am fuller and look tighter but still not as tight as I was before the long load weekend. Though this makes sense and I am good with my decision to take that time off, it is unnerving to have to make up ground and time. It is what it is, though.

I am still tentatively planning to load on Wednesday but if I feel good with the added carbs and feel I can get another training rotation now that the carbs are in there, I will push the load to the following Monday. I am going to leave this up in the air until probably Tuesday night when I see how my leg session goes.

I did decide to drop the double cardio on my non-training days and it has made a huge difference in energy levels (along with the added carbs), fullness and my training is much more productive. I have to wonder if adding the carbs AND dropping the cardio on non-training days will allow me to now get that 3rd rotation without much problem. I just have to let it play out and see how I feel.

The start of my clen cycle is up in the air because if I load on Wednesday, I will start the clen cycle the following day so that I can get a solid 9-10 days on clen before I load again. If I push the load to the following Monday, I will hold off on starting the clen until the load day. The main reason for doing this is I don't want to load and then not start the clen cycle for a few days and then after only being into the clen cycle for less than a week, have to load again. Plus, I feel that my condition is going to improve substantially when I start the clen because I hold so much water in between clen cycles vs. being on the clen cycle. I anticipate my weight dropping dramatically after a week back on the clen so I just need to figure out whether I will load Wednesday or the following Monday.

Strength is up along with pumps and energy more than usual as I am half way through the 2nd rotation. I don't know if it is from the added carbs or the holdover from the long load weekend. It could just be a little of both. Overall, though, I feel much better in the gym and workouts are far more productive than they were prior to the change in carbs and the long load weekend. So, I think in the end, everything will not just workout but that the changes on top of the long load will actually be beneficial.

The only other thing I will need to figure out is whether I will cut the cardio back to single sessions when I start the clen cycle (keeping the fasted session in but dropping the postworkout cardio) or if I will just keep the cardio as it is now.

Skip
      www.TEAMSKIP.com

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

• Hell yea just got caught up! Although you kept us(listeners of BSG) pretty updated via the podcast. Cool to see all the details though! Sounds like things are almost evened out after your surprise weekend. Keep after it! Getting me all pumped up to do another show haha

Comment

• Originally posted by BeastGunz View Post
          Hell yea just got caught up! Although you kept us(listeners of BSG) pretty updated via the podcast. Cool to see all the details though! Sounds like things are almost evened out after your surprise weekend. Keep after it! Getting me all pumped up to do another show haha
          We need a pic of the new car mentioned on the podcast....

Comment

• Hey skip, also been following along on your journals, elitefts and podcasts.

As far as adding carbs. Do you think it may be more beneficial to keeping the same amount of carbs or slightly higher but splitting them up pre/intra/post instead?

For instance. If you were normally consuming 60g carbs pwo. Doing 20/20/20 instead or 39/30 (intra/post)? I noticed that my workouts improved when I did this during my dieting phase. The workouts haven't dragged ass since
            SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

• Yes, I do think this is optimal (splitting them up).

I may have said no a few years ago but I do now believe that this is best.

Skip
              Originally posted by LG1 View Post
              Hey skip, also been following along on your journals, elitefts and podcasts.

As far as adding carbs. Do you think it may be more beneficial to keeping the same amount of carbs or slightly higher but splitting them up pre/intra/post instead?

For instance. If you were normally consuming 60g carbs pwo. Doing 20/20/20 instead or 39/30 (intra/post)? I noticed that my workouts improved when I did this during my dieting phase. The workouts haven't dragged ass since
              www.TEAMSKIP.com

Comment

• Thank you and great to see you posting here again!

Skip
                Originally posted by BeastGunz View Post
                Hell yea just got caught up! Although you kept us(listeners of BSG) pretty updated via the podcast. Cool to see all the details though! Sounds like things are almost evened out after your surprise weekend. Keep after it! Getting me all pumped up to do another show haha
                www.TEAMSKIP.com

Comment

• Absolutely!

2016 M5 and I just had a DINAN exhaust put on it today.

568hp and showroom clean. It has a red Merrino interior that unfortunately I have no pictures of, yet.

M-Double clutch, as well. It is loaded to the point where I am still figuring out shit on this car.

This is my baby.

Skip
                  Originally posted by doug1 View Post
                  We need a pic of the new car mentioned on the podcast....
                  Attached Files
                  www.TEAMSKIP.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                    Absolutely!

2016 M5 and I just had a DINAN exhaust put on it today.

568hp and showroom clean. It has a red Merrino interior that unfortunately I have no pictures of, yet.

M-Double clutch, as well. It is loaded to the point where I am still figuring out shit on this car.

This is my baby.

Skip
                    Very badass! That car is sexiness

Comment

• Thank you!

Skip
                      www.TEAMSKIP.com

Comment

• Awesome ride! 568hp!!!? WOW!

Comment

• My latest coach log on EliteFTS.com about cramping and issues I was having the last week or so:

https://www.elitefts.com/coaching-lo...lems-as-usual/

Skip
                          www.TEAMSKIP.com

Comment

• As you know, with keto diet, your body is gonna flush out more water than normal, which is gonna take electrolytes with it. Couple that with all the sweating from training, also summer is approaching, lol. I think you're just low in some electrolytes, as you suspect as well. I think it was Stan Efferding that said if you are peeing clear that is NOT a good thing, as we have been told for soooo long.
                            Don't forget about calcium as well.

Please keep us posted. Hope all is well on the home front.

Comment

• I don't supplement calcium because I still have a good amount of cheese as a fat source.

When I say "clear" pee, I am more or less saying it isn't dark - healthy color. I do suppose it isn't completely "clear".

My ankles are now dry after upping the water intake the last couple of days so the problems seems that I was slowly getting dehydrated and just didn't know it.

Skip
                              www.TEAMSKIP.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                                Yes, I do think this is optimal (splitting them up).

I may have said no a few years ago but I do now believe that this is best.

Skip
                                Interesting. I don't keep up quite as closely with the latest nutrition trends, as I used to, so this is interesting to hear your opinion on.

Sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread, I have been keeping up sporadically, but do you use the same carb source for pre/intra, as you use for PWO?

I use dextrose/malto 50/50 mix post workout (80 g of total carbs PWO). Wondering if I start using some intra workout, if I should use the same carb source or somethign different? If I do add intra carbs, I will reduce PWO carbs accordingly. I am intentionally shedding a few lbs....doing it on around 300g of carbs daily too, which is nice.

By the way...glad to hear the cramping issue seems to be clearing up...that sounded terrible...

Use the discount code "SPD365" for 5% off your orders at www.trueprotein.com; Order 16lbs or more, and you get 10% off!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X