Diary Of An Old Man - 2020 Training Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuesday, April 21st, 2020

Dropped below baseline of 215 (hit 214.5) this morning after a one meal Skipload and then the rest of the day was a high-carb day last Friday. That's a pretty quick drop but I also started clen on Sunday so it isn't shocking, either.

If this continues this week, I may be able to do another high-carb day on Friday which would be great because I would still have one more 5-day training cycle after Friday being a non-training day. This is likely to happen but I would want to be about 213 by Friday morning or I will wait for the second training cycle to be done (next Thursday) and then either Skipload and/or high-carb again. The next couple of days will tell the tale.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Tuesday, May 5th

After getting as low as 211 about 10 days or so ago, I have rebounded a little bit as my supplementation has changed/increased. At the same time, my condition has continued to progress though not as much as I anticipated over the last week. For that reason, I made another diet change today and this is the first diet change made in about 6 weeks, I believe. I am holding at roughly 214 right now.

It is a subtle change -- nothing drastic. I dropped 250 calories from training days and 330 from non-training days. If this change produces results (I am still getting leaner but I don't feel it is at the pace that I am looking for), I will stick with it. If not, I will make another change next week which will be dropping chicken breast 3 times per day to using scallops. Anyone who has followed my cut phases or preps in the past knows that I end up with white fish or scallops as my protein source later in cutting phases. I do this because the fat is very low and because I have an issue with food getting caught in my throat before it enters my stomach, on occasion. Chicken is the worst for this and I have never once had an issue with scallops. Plus, they taste amazing.

I am not making the change to scallops just yet but it will be the next diet change whether that is in a week or another month. I will ride out this current diet change and see how I respond. I am still at roughly 2200-2300 calories per day and this is significantly higher than I have ever been at this weight and this condition.

I also have not Skiploaded or had a high-carb day in roughly 11 days but plan to do either a high-carb day or a 1-meal Skipload followed by a high-carb day on Friday after I finished this second training cycle.

My training right now is going incredibly well and my strength is through the roof -- higher than it was when I weighed 236 when I began cutting roughly 14 weeks ago.

I have also not missed even one session of training during this COVID mess. I have been very fortunate to have resources that allow me to continue to train in a very well-equipped gym down here in South Florida.

I am very happy with how things are going but I just feel that this last week's progress could have been a little bit better than it was. I know as I break below the 210 mark I am going to start to have incredible detail that I usually don't see for another 10 pounds of scale weight.

So far, this cut phase has been very easy, relatively speaking. I am not starving, ever. I am still strong as hell, injury free and I have yet to do even one session of cardio. However, I am doing 1-hour walks at night with my wife and daughter o increase NEAT. I think the lack of cardio has helped my leg training to remain high in intensity and it is also allowing me to stay strong while training legs.

Skip

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Wow this is Awesome man! I'm not gonna lie, I'm a Tad peanut butter, and jealous

Comment

Wednesday, May 20th, 2020

My scale weight has been falling the last couple of weeks. I dropped down to 210.5 over a week ago and then dropped to 208.5 last weekend prior to Skiploading.

Though I much prefer high-carb days to Skiploading days right now, I Skiploaded for 2 days straight when I dropped to 210.5 and within a week I was down to 208.5 so I Skiploaded again for 2 days. I am going to break 208.5 by the weekend.

Skiploading for 1 day is hard enough but 2 days is rough. I don't like the distention and I don't like the water gain, BUT... the trade off is that I am strong as fuck when I come back into the gym and the water weight falls off and I drop below baseline in less than a week's time. I almost hate that it works so well because I feel better (physically) when I high-carb. High-carbs work but comparing the impact on my metabolism from high-carb days to Skipload days is like comparing apples and oranges. Nothing amps my metabolism like Skipload days where I push food HARD.

I am still 9 weeks out from what is supposed to be my first show this year (if it doesn't get cancelled or pushed) and then 16 weeks out from another show. I set my sights on these two shows but there are other options in there where I could do as many as 4 shows total. I did this because I don't know what shows might get pushed, so I wanted plenty of options. Plus, my major focus this year is standing on stage in the best over-50 masters class that I can find. That isn't going to happen at smaller shows where only 1 or 2 REALLY good masters guys show up.

Outside of loading for 2 straight days 2 weeks in a row, I have changed nothing with my diet or my cardio (no cardio, just nightly walks).

I have, however, cut my training volume back this week to allow for better recovery. I don't feel overtrained but I did want to cut the volume to be sure that I can sustain this level of training and strength moving forward. Instead of training a cruise week during this prep that started the beginning of February, I just add a day of rest here or there. I have on two different occasions taken 3 days in a row for rest days, too, with great results. I am confident that I am recovering well but I want to keep it that way, and when you drop calories and are pounding in the gym, recovery can get compromised quickly.

About the only "negative' thing that I have seen during this prep phase is this last week I have noticed that my legs aren't not as big as I wanted them to be at this point. This is, of course, not any fault of mine, though. I have battled back from horrible back injuries over the last 3 years of being injury free, but 4 years of not training legs heavy, at all, has taken its toll. As I have gotten much leaner, this is becoming more obvious. My legs aren't shit, but they aren't anywhere near what they were in my prime and it's tough on my brain. My saving grace is that I have great shape and lines in my legs and I am going to have to rely on that instead of size. Thank God that I am not having to do cardio because that likely would be eating into my leg size, as well.

I am playing the hand I have been dealt the very best that I can. That's all I can really do.

Skip

Comment

My most recent EliteFTS Coach Log:

https://www.elitefts.com/coaching-lo...ore-this-week/

Skip

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
              Wednesday, May 20th, 2020

My scale weight has been falling the last couple of weeks. I dropped down to 210.5 over a week ago and then dropped to 208.5 last weekend prior to Skiploading.

Though I much prefer high-carb days to Skiploading days right now, I Skiploaded for 2 days straight when I dropped to 210.5 and within a week I was down to 208.5 so I Skiploaded again for 2 days. I am going to break 208.5 by the weekend.

Skiploading for 1 day is hard enough but 2 days is rough. I don't like the distention and I don't like the water gain, BUT... the trade off is that I am strong as fuck when I come back into the gym and the water weight falls off and I drop below baseline in less than a week's time. I almost hate that it works so well because I feel better (physically) when I high-carb. High-carbs work but comparing the impact on my metabolism from high-carb days to Skipload days is like comparing apples and oranges. Nothing amps my metabolism like Skipload days where I push food HARD.

I am still 9 weeks out from what is supposed to be my first show this year (if it doesn't get cancelled or pushed) and then 16 weeks out from another show. I set my sights on these two shows but there are other options in there where I could do as many as 4 shows total. I did this because I don't know what shows might get pushed, so I wanted plenty of options. Plus, my major focus this year is standing on stage in the best over-50 masters class that I can find. That isn't going to happen at smaller shows where only 1 or 2 REALLY good masters guys show up.

Outside of loading for 2 straight days 2 weeks in a row, I have changed nothing with my diet or my cardio (no cardio, just nightly walks).

I have, however, cut my training volume back this week to allow for better recovery. I don't feel overtrained but I did want to cut the volume to be sure that I can sustain this level of training and strength moving forward. Instead of training a cruise week during this prep that started the beginning of February, I just add a day of rest here or there. I have on two different occasions taken 3 days in a row for rest days, too, with great results. I am confident that I am recovering well but I want to keep it that way, and when you drop calories and are pounding in the gym, recovery can get compromised quickly.

About the only "negative' thing that I have seen during this prep phase is this last week I have noticed that my legs aren't not as big as I wanted them to be at this point. This is, of course, not any fault of mine, though. I have battled back from horrible back injuries over the last 3 years of being injury free, but 4 years of not training legs heavy, at all, has taken its toll. As I have gotten much leaner, this is becoming more obvious. My legs aren't shit, but they aren't anywhere near what they were in my prime and it's tough on my brain. My saving grace is that I have great shape and lines in my legs and I am going to have to rely on that instead of size. Thank God that I am not having to do cardio because that likely would be eating into my leg size, as well.

I am playing the hand I have been dealt the very best that I can. That's all I can really do.

Skip
              This is incredible SKIP, you have not done a show since 2012, and you are doing zero cardio and that latest IG video you already have "Eyelid Skin"
              Last edited by Infidel619; 05-29-2020, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                My most recent EliteFTS Coach Log:

https://www.elitefts.com/coaching-lo...ore-this-week/

Skip
                Hope all is well with the Fam.

Comment

Originally posted by justaguy View Post

Thank you.

Skip

Comment

Originally posted by Infidel619 View Post

This is incredible SKIP, you have not done a show since 2012, and you are doing zero cardio and that latest IG video you already have "Eyelid Skin"
                    I appreciate the kid words.

Skip

Comment

Originally posted by justaguy View Post

x2

Comment

Working...
                      X