• 4 Sure-Fire Ways to Harvest Calf Meat - EliteFTS

http://www.elitefts.com/education/tr...est-calf-meat/

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Any tricks of the trade for training traps, Skip? Besides the obvious "full ROM, don't go too heavy and cheat", or "just deadlift heavy" type advice? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Skinnyrunt View Post
      Any tricks of the trade for training traps, Skip? Besides the obvious "full ROM, don't go too heavy and cheat", or "just deadlift heavy" type advice? Thanks
      Traps are meant to hold some heavy ass weight. Mostly in an isometric way. Row heavy, deadlift heavy, press heavy etc....

I haven't seen too many guys build big ass traps but just shrugging.

Johnnie Jackson is a perfect example. Those traps are massive. Very unproportionate to everything else. Biggest in the ifbb probably. He lifts heavy as hell and competed or competes in powerlifting.

Think about then just bearing weight and not moving weight on their own. Can you build respectable traps by shrugging? Yes, but holding heavy weight in rows and deads is better.

Skip, we have heard of guys training calves everyday. Thoughts? If you like the idea because they recover so well, do you recommend progressively increasing frequency of calf training?

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
      *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
      •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
      *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Collabera View Post
        Traps are meant to hold some heavy ass weight. Mostly in an isometric way. Row heavy, deadlift heavy, press heavy etc....

I haven't seen too many guys build big ass traps but just shrugging.

Johnnie Jackson is a perfect example. Those traps are massive. Very unproportionate to everything else. Biggest in the ifbb probably. He lifts heavy as hell and competed or competes in powerlifting.

Think about then just bearing weight and not moving weight on their own. Can you build respectable traps by shrugging? Yes, but holding heavy weight in rows and deads is better.

Skip, we have heard of guys training calves everyday. Thoughts? If you like the idea because they recover so well, do you recommend progressively increasing frequency of calf training?
        That was exactly the answer I didn't want to hear because I already do all those things lol! As well as shrug too!

Comment

That was exactly the answer I didn't want to hear because I already do all those things lol! As well as shrug too!
          Not much else you can really do haha

One other thing you can start doing is maybe hanging cleans.

*2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
          *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

True. You know, it's not even that my traps are THAT bad, it's just that the world would be a much better place if they were bigger lol.....

Comment

I honestly don't believe that shrugs are all that great for full, thick trap development. I think deads and heavy bent rowing and tbars are better over the long term. I dropped shrugs about 5 years ago and have only seen a slight change, if that, since.

Skip

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Great article Skip. One question that I hope you can clarify for me. Lets use the standing calf raise machine for this example. Should I be pushing up on the repetition with my toes or the balls of my feet? Or a different area? Same with the stretch part of the repetition. Toes or balls of the feet? Some times one feels better than the other and sometimes doing both feels great too.

Comment

Originally posted by carranoj25 View Post
                  Great article Skip. One question that I hope you can clarify for me. Lets use the standing calf raise machine for this example. Should I be pushing up on the repetition with my toes or the balls of my feet? Or a different area? Same with the stretch part of the repetition. Toes or balls of the feet? Some times one feels better than the other and sometimes doing both feels great too.
                  Idk about you but when I unintentionally use my toes and curl my foot a little as I press I end up feeling exhaustion on the bottom of my feet well before I feel anything in my calves.

Comment

Skip?

Comment

Originally posted by carranoj25 View Post
                      Balls of your feet.

Skip

Comment

Skip?
                        Train them as frequently as you can recover if you are trying to bring them up, yes.

Skip

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                          I honestly don't believe that shrugs are all that great for full, thick trap development. I think deads and heavy bent rowing and tbars are better over the long term. I dropped shrugs about 5 years ago and have only seen a slight change, if that, since.

Skip
                          Yep, that settles it then. Thanks for the response Skip, and good article as always.

Comment

Yep, that settles it then. Thanks for the response Skip, and good article as always.
                            Thank you. EliteFTS likes the balance I have lately between "fun" stories/rants and informational type articles so I will continue to keep that balance in 2016 of both pissing off AND informing.

Skip

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                              Thank you. EliteFTS likes the balance I have lately between "fun" stories/rants and informational type articles so I will continue to keep that balance in 2016 of both pissing off AND informing.

Skip
                              I like that you always sound so NORMAL in the way you write, you know like your normal everyday guy who likes training as a hobby, but who actually has a life too.

In the real life you might be wierd as hell, but the way you write sounds good humoured and normal anyway.....

Comment

Working...
                              X