• Do Experts REALLY Exist? My latest EliteFTS Just Sayin Column

http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...ts-dont-exist/

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Solid article Skip. My question is why do so many of what seems to be the younger generation think they are an expert these days? Granted I am not quite mature enough to call myself an old man yet, but at 34, I am quickly approaching crypt kreeper status.

I think your article expands to a lot of different areas outside of the gym as well. I know I don't know everything, but I have made it a point to sponge up as much information as I can over my years in as many fields as I can be it body building, the classroom, etc. I recently had a debate with a kid that works in my lab who clearly had recently got his first cross fit membership and picked up a flex magazine presumably. He was on both knees sucking the supplement God's dick over a new product that he feels revolutionizes as he calls it "Gainz". It was a product called Bio-gro by a company named iSatori. My experience in the lab has taught me that the oral ingestion of a peptide in adults would be nearly worthless as we lack the leaky bowels that infants have, therefore the advantages of consuming a peptide orally would have very, very, very low bioavailability. So, I allowed myself to reject my experience and investigated the knowledge base that was available. Curiously I investigated it, being very impressionable and wanting it to be the greatest thing since skip loads (however in the back of my head I was rereading an old satirical article by Homon regarding the "worlds best supplement").

Fortunately, I am doing a post-doc so my institute has access to Web of Science, Scopus, PubMed, etc. so I can actually download journals (That said anyone in here that has trouble gaining access to scientific journals, feel free to hit me up, because I loath the fact that most scientific information these days requires ridiculous fees to gain information). It appeared most of the research was difficult to accept because it was in fact funded by investors in iSatori themselves, biased city if you ask me, clearly there is a conflict of interest, but that's another rant for another time. But you could clearly find supports for the claims made by the kid and the company.

I talked with him about it the next day and he vehemently disagreed with my experiences in drug delivery, and when asked to prove me wrong he cited website ABC and BS.com. The conversation ended in typical because I say so fashion with little to no evidence on credibility.

That being said, in my opinion, I think that the internet plays a large role in this, while being a wonderful tool for information it is simultaneously an Achilles heel for these kids, stripping this generations ability to think for themselves, I mean why would you want someones experience, when you can simply search for the answer that you want and find something that supports it. I love a good 'ol debate and I would have loved for this kid to convince me or at least entice me enough to try it for myself.

Comment

Well said. Basically, the internet has helped to create the know-it-all. So much information at everyone's fingertips that they can't figure out what is quality information and what is not.

Skip

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

In all areas? Hell, no. But I think one of the most valuable things to be able to do in strength-related sports (PLing, strongman, BBing, etc.) is to be able to find people who actually know something, and to be able to LISTEN. I don't use the term "expert", but "guru" is appropriate. People like Dante, Skip, Justin Harris, etc.
        Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
        kind of a douche

Comment

Very well-written. You are a (relatively) few years my senior (I'm 28), but I can still relate to an extent.

I have 14 years of training under my belt, I worked at a gym as a personal trainer for 5 of those years, I have an associates degree in science, and working on my B.S. in Biology. By the time I got to college, I had learned enough from reading that I could have taught most of the Bio classes I was taking. I learned ALL of this from listening to people that were older and more experienced than me, implementing their advice, learning from their mistakes, reading things that they wrote, etc. Without them, I wouldn't know half of what I know now. Though I know a lot, I certainly wouldn't call myself any kind of "expert".

It WAS fun working at the gym I was at. I was the most well-educated, and well-versed in strength training (all of the trainers there seemed to have some kind of "specialty", strength training was mine). Someone would ask me a question, I would answer it. They would be dissatisfied with my answer, and ask another trainer who would reply "that's a (MyTMouse) question, he knows that kind of stuff". Then they would ask another trainer, who would give the same answer... then they ask a gym member who says "have you talked to (MyTMouse), he's a good guy to ask about that stuff".

I'm not saying this to pat myself on the back, just to say: I UNDERSTAND.

I look forward to learning more and more from all you guys here.
          My intro thread: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=49855

Comment

Originally posted by MyTMouse View Post
            Very well-written. You are a (relatively) few years my senior (I'm 28), but I can still relate to an extent.
            Relatively your senior? Shit, Skip put your DOB at the top of his god damn drivers test!
            2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Originally posted by Macho Man View Post
              Relatively your senior? Shit, Skip put your DOB at the top of his god damn drivers test!
              lmao. I wrote that to mean "relatively few years". I was trying to find a way to say "you're older and more experienced than me" without sounding like a young jackass saying "hey old man, check this out".

By using only text, it's tough to express respect for someone's experience, while also not sounding like you're calling them old (and 44 isn't old). It's hard for me to do.
              Last edited by MyTMouse; 08-14-2014, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Macho Man View Post
                LOL

Skip

Comment

I get you. I'm old. LO *cough* *fart* L.

Skip

Skip
                  Originally posted by MyTMouse View Post
                  lmao. I wrote that to mean "relatively few years". I was trying to find a way to say "you're older and more experienced than me" without sounding like a young jackass saying "hey old man, check this out".

By using only text, it's tough to express respect for someone's experience, while also not sounding like you're calling them old (and 44 isn't old). It's hard for me to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                    I get you. I'm old. LO *cough* *fart* L.

Skip

Skip
                    :yo: hahaha

Comment

I find many people ask a question, not because they are interested in learning, but because they are looking for reinforcement in what they already believe.

I hate Priuses.

Comment

Originally posted by 46er View Post
                        I find many people ask a question, not because they are interested in learning, but because they are looking for reinforcement in what they already believe.

I hate Priuses.
                        I concur.... with both statements.

Skip

Comment

My favorite answer is a polite "I don't know anything about .....(given topic)......"

Sometimes I clearly do but then you find out who really wants an answer from you.
                          "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
                          Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
                          'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
                          ~William Bernbach

Comment

Working...
                          X