My latest EliteFTS rant:

http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...they-thinking/

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

"Now, clearly there are exceptions, and I get that. I personally know some CrossFitters who compete, and some of them are in incredible shape. You would clearly know that they workout. These are the ones, though, that used to be bodybuilders and have crossed over to CrossFit."

There is so much truth in that little statement right there. I also would agree that some (very few) may have made some damn nice accomplishments by doing nothing other than CrossFit, ever. That is the furthest thing from the norm though. The problem that I have is MOST of the CrossFit boxes are run by effing idiots. Some dick with a cert that thinks he can open a gym and attract people to come in and do CrossFit!! Mind you this guy may know the technical aspects of highly complex Oly movements but couldn't teach them to save his/her life. So they just go with it, watching their clients come one nano fiber from snapping their back in half. And those clients are non the wiser but hey, they feel great about themselves for just completing the WOD for a new PR.

Then you have the exact opposite. A box that is run by someone and his/her staff that actually know what they are doing. People that don't give a shit about the weight or the time and focus on teaching the technique first. These boxes are great. They also have people running them that know a thing or 2 about nutrition. Coincidentally (or maybe not) these boxes seem to have those very people that LOOK like they are actually accomplishing something from a physique standpoint while pushing their conditioning through the roof. Anyway, thats just my $.02. Nice article Skip.
    Save yourself 5% on all your TRUENUTRITION orders by using discount code MTM281

My Training Log Here at IM

"Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals." -Jim Rohn

Comment

I think you hit the nail on the head with ". I think most people want a look that is in shape but that doesn’t stand out too much or that doesn’t take too much effort to maintain." Also, people see Rich Froning and TV and want his physique. I totally get that, too.

Comment

Watch any docco on the top guys and you will see that they don't do the WOD's....let me repeat that they don't do the workouts that every other crossfitter seems to be doing and told to do.

I won't go into it too much cause it will start a fire but some of them basically do Oly lifts, HIT bodybuilding and cardio as well as strongman and freaky stuff seen in the games.

They realize that the WOD's don't translate to optimum training. You wouldn't just play football as training for football. You do sprints, skills and weights. The top crossfitters are the same and split up their training into specific parts in prep for game day. Basic crosfitters just keep playing more versions of the game itself.

They get a little better at the game but not that good.
        "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
        Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
        'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
        ~William Bernbach

Comment

I am getting this answer from some of the guys I know that compete in Crossfit. This is confusing to me, though, because this means that there are 2 camps: 1. how you train if you want to be competitive and 2. how you train if you are an average Joe.

Honestly, that is stupid and shows how unorganized and misunderstood Crossfit is.

I wrote the article to ask the questions that I did so I am honestly looking for an answer and have gotten some good ones so far. Believe it or not, I didn't write the article to start a shitstorm. I just have a knack for that.

Skip
          Originally posted by SAHD View Post
          Watch any docco on the top guys and you will see that they don't do the WOD's....let me repeat that they don't do the workouts that every other crossfitter seems to be doing and told to do.

I won't go into it too much cause it will start a fire but some of them basically do Oly lifts, HIT bodybuilding and cardio as well as strongman and freaky stuff seen in the games.

They realize that the WOD's don't translate to optimum training. You wouldn't just play football as training for football. You do sprints, skills and weights. The top crossfitters are the same and split up their training into specific parts in prep for game day. Basic crosfitters just keep playing more versions of the game itself.

They get a little better at the game but not that good.

Facebook: Skip Hill
          Instagram: @intensemuscle
          YouTube: TEAMSKIP
          TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

A knack for starting shit storms.... My friend you have a gift, given to you by Christ himself.

(This will sound negative but I don't actually mind anything that gets people to do some exercise and you could do a lot worse than crossfit.)

And yes there are 2 camps, crossfit is disorganized (except at taking money). They sell the same dream some supplement companies and some personal trainers do. It is in their interest for you to see some results but not to much. If you actually achieved you might move on to something else.

Crossfit is no different from the average gym and the average crossfitter is no more or less delusional than the kid on T-Nation. The only difference is Crossfit gym memberships are like $40-$60 a week here where as standard gym is $10 and as you pointed out people don't expect to look different so they have a massive advantage there also. I remember when Gym's here were $20.00 and elite. Now gyms are the norm. Where I live there is about 15 within 10 mins drive. 6 of these are 24 hrs.

There are only 2 crossfit gyms and all the people who go walk around wearing their singlet's and T's to let you know they workout (cause you can't tell) but not where you would go. Short classes equals more sessions a day, circuit training so minimal gear to purchase, early morning and late evening sessions so trainers can still have a day job, I could go on....and on......and on......
            SAHD
            Light-heavyweight Member
            Last edited by SAHD; 07-15-2014, 10:22 PM.
            "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
            Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
            'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
            ~William Bernbach

Comment

Working...
            X