X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TEAM SKIP HIIT and MISS Cardio System

TEAM SKIP
    HITT and MISS Cardio System

This system is set up to allow for a way to increase or progress with your cardio program over time, or to cut back on your cardio frequency and intensity, if need be. Some of these levels will be unattainable for certain individuals while others will be easy. This is exactly why I am putting this system in place and why every client I have will have a protocol that will be specific to their goals and needs.

At the beginning of each week you will get a plan for your cardio which will usually include a combination of the 2 types of cardio I use for my clients: HIIT and MISS.

HIIT cardio (high intensity interval cardio) will be offset by MISS cardio (moderate intensity steady state cardio).

HIIT is basically intervals of high-effort bursts for shorter durations followed by active-recovery periods of longer durations. An example might be a 15 second all out effort at a high resistance followed by a lower resistance and a slower pace for 45 seconds – though still moving enough to be getting work done and keeping the HR elevated. It is certainly not complete rest.

MISS is a session of cardio where you get to a target HR of 130 or slightly higher and you maintain that HR for a specific period of time. Minutes for your cardio session do not count until you get to that target HR of 130 so you will want to get their as quickly as you can so that you don’t waste time. 3 minutes is a good warm-up period.

MISS cardio will not have levels, it will only be gauged by length of the session. Example: 30 minute session of MISS would mean after you start the session and get to an HR of 130 you would then do 30 minutes at that HR and then cool down for 3 minutes and the session would be finished.

HIIT cardio starts with a 3 minute warm up at a resistance and speed that you will be using for your active-recovery period of your intervals. Example: If you are using an ARC trainer and your recovery period is at resistance 40 and you burst to resistance 90, you would start your session with 3 minutes at resistance 40 and then after finishing your allotted amount of intervals or cycles for that session, you would do a 3 minute cool down at that same resistance of 40. Finding the right resistance for cycles will take you a session or two, of course, as it will be individual and based on the myriad of cardio options out there that you can choose from.

This system is not set up to rely on HIIT cardio to reach your goals but to have HIIT be an adjunct to add variety to your cardio protocol. How well each person responds will dictate how much cardio falls along the lines of HIIT sessions vs. MISS sessions.

You will be given a total number of cycles to perform for each HIIT session. This will usually be anywhere from 3 to 10 though there are always exceptions.
    You may also have different levels on different days or you could have the same level for the entire week. It will simply depend on how well you are responding.

HIIT LEVEL SYSTEM:

Level 1:
    15 second blast/60 second recovery

Level 2:
    15 second blast/45 second recovery

Level 3:
    15 second blast/30 second recovery

Level 4:
    30 second blast/60 second recovery

Level 5:
    30 second blast/30 second recovery

Level 6:
    45 second blast/90 second recovery

Level 7:
    45 second blast/60 second recovery

Level 8:
    45 second blast/30 second recovery

Level 9:
    60 second blast/90 second recovery

Level 10:
    60 second blast/60 second recovery

Level 11:
    60 second blast/30 second recovery

Level 12:
    60 second blast/15 second recovery

The type of cardio you actually do, I couldn’t care less about. I only care that you do the work and have your HR where it is supposed to be for the prescribed length of time, or that you achieve the amount of HIIT cycles prescribed for that session. This allows you to pick your poison as to which type of cardio you prefer. It does not have to be a machine, either. You can run sprints in the water, if you like, or you can swim, use a prowler, sprint on land or on hills, etc.. You can have power sex if you want to but, from experience, it is not easy to get your partner to consider sex as cardio. Just Sayin’.
    www.TEAMSKIP.com

Twitter: @IntenseMuscle
    Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: IntenseMuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Love it and perfect timing

Comment

MISS for me LOL .... I just haven't got the motivation to do HIIT especially early in the morning or after weight session !
      Sean

Facebook: Sean JT
      Instagram: Sean JT
      Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Comment

I choose power sex...however, I may not be able to progress past level 1

Comment

I enjoy doing HIIT post workout, even after legs eventhough its even more difficult as you can imagine!

I do HIIT on the Bike with 60 sec rest and 25 sec all out burst and repeat this for 12 minutes.

On my rest days I do MISS.

Comment

Skip, are you planning on implementing this for current clients? Also, what are your thoughts on HIIT the closer a competitor gets to contest day?

From past preps (the ones I didn't work with you ) I found doing HIIT closer to a show caused me to not feel completely "recovered" BUT I also never utilized Skiploads and my calories were extremely low, so I suppose it has a lot to do with the individual's nutritional breakdown and current training schedule.
            2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Figure & Overall
            2013 NPC Rhode Island - 1st Figure
            2012 NPC Emerald Cup - 2nd Figure
            2010 NPC Northwest Championships - 4th Figure

Comment

Also interested in knowing. I have never done HIIT. I have stuck to MISS for all my cardio. A few people I know that have done both have suggested that HIIT is "better" for those already lean/in shape who wish to maintain their condition versus using MISS who want to drop body fat.
              SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

As with any cardio, it is always better to taper down the cardio as the show gets closer - usually the last few weeks. I still don't have a ton of experience with HIIT so I am feeling it out and paying close attention to see how I respond and how some clients respond. It seems logical to me that HIIT would be a bitch the closer the show gets and potentially create recovery issues if the sessions were too frequent, calories were too low, etc.. Example: The first 2 weeks that I implemented HIIT my leg sessions were completely different because my legs felt beat up while training them - tired and a little weaker and not contracting as hard. By the 3rd week I noticed nothing when it came to training legs so there was a brief period of adaptation that needed to happen.

I am going to implement this with more and more clients, yes. I list all of the levels but the goal isn't to work through all levels but to give different options for variety and to shock the body if there seems to be a plateau for a week or two in progress.

Skip

Originally posted by Rco View Post
                Skip, are you planning on implementing this for current clients? Also, what are your thoughts on HIIT the closer a competitor gets to contest day?

From past preps (the ones I didn't work with you ) I found doing HIIT closer to a show caused me to not feel completely "recovered" BUT I also never utilized Skiploads and my calories were extremely low, so I suppose it has a lot to do with the individual's nutritional breakdown and current training schedule.
                www.TEAMSKIP.com

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro View Post
                  I choose power sex...however, I may not be able to progress past level 1
                  Noted.

lol

Skip
                  www.TEAMSKIP.com

Comment

Power sex would be my go to but I'll need something in writing for the wife. I'll make her understand how much money I'm wasting on a program if I don't follow it to the letter. That probably won't work either... Cardio equipment, is that cheating? Sigh...
                    2014 KC All Star Championships 5th novice mw
                    2015 KC All Star Championships 3rd open mw, 3rd masters 40+
                    2016 Branch Warren 1st masters 40+, 3rd open mw

Comment

my girl is good for power sex, so far 7 minutes is all I got so may have to go 30/30 lol. I'm implementing this going forward

Comment

how would you suggest the regime be implemented for someone who is bulking?

Comment

You mean you wrote the new cardio program for team whatchamacallit out in bumfuck missouri?
                          Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
                          FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
                          www.316fit.com
                          Email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by wannagetbig View Post
                            how would you suggest the regime be implemented for someone who is bulking?
                            Infrequently. A couple times a week would likely be best without knowing all of the variables of your particular situation.

Skip
                            www.TEAMSKIP.com

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
                              You mean you wrote the new cardio program for team whatchamacallit out in bumfuck missouri?
                              Is he still around? lol

Skip
                              www.TEAMSKIP.com

Comment

Working...
                              X