• My latest MuscleMag.com article: How to keep your back healthy

http://www.musclemag.com/muscle-buil.../#.UXAuIbWG2Tk

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
    I may have missed it but I read your cardio article and thought that was worth the weight in gold too. Dante posted it on FB

Comment

Originally posted by RobbHensel View Post
      I may have missed it but I read your cardio article and thought that was worth the weight in gold too. Dante posted it on FB
      Thank you. I just saw that a couple weeks ago. I didn't know it was even in the mag yet.

Skip

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Excellent article!

Comment

Great article Skip.
          "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

another one?!?!?!

http://www.musclemag.com/blog/times-...-bodybuilders/
            SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

I strongly disagree with wearing a belt all the time. Specifically for those with back issues, it's extremely important to have strong abdominal musculature to support the back. Not just abs, but all other "core" muscles: transverse abdominus, spinal erectors, etc. Wearing a belt constantly weakens those muscles through disuse. I found strengthening all these muscles has helped my back immensely.

I think wearing a belt on "heavy" sets is wise, but certainly not all the time.
              Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
              kind of a douche

Comment

Great advice.
                1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
                2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
                2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
                2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
                2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
                2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
                Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by sammich View Post
                  i strongly disagree with wearing a belt all the time. Specifically for those with back issues, it's extremely important to have strong abdominal musculature to support the back. Not just abs, but all other "core" muscles: Transverse abdominus, spinal erectors, etc. Wearing a belt constantly weakens those muscles through disuse. I found strengthening all these muscles has helped my back immensely.

x2....read Stuart McGill's book.....your abs are a natural belt when activated.

Comment

sammich, any chance you could share the exercises you feel strengthen the abs and lower back?

cheers dude

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                      I strongly disagree with wearing a belt all the time. Specifically for those with back issues, it's extremely important to have strong abdominal musculature to support the back. Not just abs, but all other "core" muscles: transverse abdominus, spinal erectors, etc. Wearing a belt constantly weakens those muscles through disuse. I found strengthening all these muscles has helped my back immensely.

And your opinion is noted.

What back issues have you had as far as injuries over time, working through them, etc?

Wearing a belt in the gym doesn't allow or the core muscles to not be worked or not get stronger. You still train those muscles, as well, for strength and stability, too. You make it sound as if the muscles atrophy when you wear a belt.

Again, if there are no back issues then a belt isn't a great idea and I think your advice is correct. Otherwise, my experience tells me you are very wrong.

Skip

Comment

Originally posted by 5spotbullseye View Post
                        x2....read Stuart McGill's book.....your abs are a natural belt when activated.
                        Guys, don't miss the most important point here: I advise to use a belt when you have injured yourself so that it doesn't happen again. This is not advice for a healthy back and we aren't talking about a tweak here or there. I am talking about full-on disc injuries.

Skip

For Training Inquiries: TE[email protected]

Comment

so skip would you say that you agree with the bit where sammich says the best thing to do (for those without back issues) is to work to "strengthen their core" in order to minimise any possibility of injury?

Comment

Originally posted by fatty View Post
                            so skip would you say that you agree with the bit where sammich says the best thing to do (for those without back issues) is to work to "strengthen their core" in order to minimise any possibility of injury?
                            Absolutely. I stated in the article (and have stated consistently in talking about my back issues) that you should always rely on strengthening the core instead of using a belt.

AFTER a bad injury it is a completely different story, especially when the injury is recurring.

Skip

Comment

I will write a longer response after I get to the office but for now I AM RIGHT AND YOU ARE WRONG
                              Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                              kind of a douche

Comment

Working...
                              X