• Build Bigger Forearms Without Training Them

http://www.musclemag.com/muscle-buil.../#.ULaYD4fAfXQ

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Couldn't agree more. My forearm development has improved incredibly since I stopped using straps on Deadlifts and DB rows. When I first ditched the straps I could barely hang on to 400lbs - now, as long as I chalk up, I can pull 600+.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
    2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
    2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
    2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
    2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

When I was reading this, I kept thinking, Hmmm....I don't know how I feel about this one..." then I read this paragraph:

"Straps should be used for your top, heavy sets or when your grip starts to give out before your back does. You aren’t supposed to use them for every set. Straps do nothing more than provide you with the ability to move more weight than your grip can hold. That might be good for back development but it is terrible for grip strength and forearm development."

This is how I feel about using straps. For example, look at the DC 3-way split, you train forearms directly right before back. With DC you aren't using a shit-ton of volume so after your warm-ups you are getting down to business and that means optimizing the movement to build your back! If your forearms give out when doing Bent BB Rows a rep or two shy of when your back would reach failure, then they are a limiting factor in the movement and you have to eliminate that in order to optimize the exercise.

As always, good stuff Skip!
      Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
      2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
      2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I'm intrigued by the "sponge" comment... never used a sponge for a grip or seen anyone do that... might have to find a couple of sponges and see what that's like.
        I've won on so many levels already I don't even care how I do at the show. I just wanna look damn good!!

--Steel

Muscles don't know how old they are.

Treat them like they are old and eat soup... and they will be.

Train 'em hard and feed them like a stud... and they will be.

So will you.

Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Dean3238 View Post
          I'm intrigued by the "sponge" comment... never used a sponge for a grip or seen anyone do that... might have to find a couple of sponges and see what that's like.
          It's amazing.

Srs, I just don't do it because it looks silly
          "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Of the most recent guys, Roelly Winklaar is a big proponent of sponges...

What you guys think of hook grip as far as building your forearms?

The thing is, with hook grip, I'm not sure you're getting much work from the thumb; the 3 fingers are doing most of the work. Would I still get good development with this grip?

I would do over under on deads but the right arm (the arm that hooks under) tends to pull/strain my right bicep and seeing vids of bicep tears on deads makes me very wary.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjq82nYPUeo[/YOUTUBE]
            Max Muscle
            5020 Katella Ave.
            Los Alamitos, CA 90720
            www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dean3238 View Post
              Theres a real thin guy at my gym that does that. Uses the sponges for holding all the DBs and BBs. Though he looks like a cancer survivor so I've always assumed that it was geared more towards protection for him against getting a cut and infection. Had no idea that it could be used for gripping strength.

Comment

I may try the sponge idea.......i really over use my straps, and you can tell from looking at my forearms......

Comment

I noticed a difference when I started doing my warm up sets without hooks/strap. I've sawa difference in the density of my forearms in the first few weeks.
                  Use Discount code "JGR646" for 5% off your order at www.truenutrition.com !!

Comment

Totally agree, skip. That has constituted the majority of my forearm training - doing it without wrist wraps. There's something to be said about wrist wraps or hooks for people in the strength field when they want to overload a muscle or pick up a car, but for many they'll probably be more of a crutch than anything else.

Lastly, I don't think that "well I can't deadlift XXX for the full 8 reps" is a good excuse for using wraps. If you're doing something bad for your goals, stop, reasses and correct the problem. If not for forearm growth, at least know that grip failure is normally a very great indicator for when you should stop an exercise (because once that goes, your lower back is probably next in line to fatigue).
                    Last edited by Big R; 11-29-2012, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jgrasham View Post
                      I noticed a difference when I started doing my warm up sets without hooks/strap. I've sawa difference in the density of my forearms in the first few weeks.
                      Do you use a double-overhand grip for deadlifts on those sets?

Comment

You guys ever use hook grip on things other than deads? Namely dumbbell rows, shrugs, pulldowns?
                        Max Muscle
                        5020 Katella Ave.
                        Los Alamitos, CA 90720

Comment

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
                          You guys ever use hook grip on things other than deads? Namely dumbbell rows, shrugs, pulldowns?
                          I don't start with a hook grip on DB rows, but it evolves into one about half way into the set as my grip goes.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
                          2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
                          2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
                          2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
                          2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

Originally posted by moco View Post
                            I don't start with a hook grip on DB rows, but it evolves into one about half way into the set as my grip goes.
                            Understandable appreciate the reply...

What are your thoughts on wear and tear on the thumb? Negligible? Before you guys start thinking "well if you want safe we wouldn't be putting 600 on our backs!"...the thumb is an itty-bitty appendage...with hook grip all 500-700 lbs are on those pair of thumbs.
                            Max Muscle
                            5020 Katella Ave.
                            Los Alamitos, CA 90720

Comment

Implementing this tip starting now. Your tricep advice (namely, do mostly overhead work) has spurred some new growth for me so I'm going to keep on listening and try this out... Straps only when ABSOLUTELY necessary.

Always loved big forearms and nothing ever really seems to work to get them bigger, so now I'm gonna give this a go.

Thanks Skip.

Comment

Working...
                              X