Diabetes in family......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diabetes in family......

My dad and uncles have diabetes.....showed up in their 50's. I will be 50 in August. Have downloaded and watched the DVD but as you might expect I am a bit gun shy when it comes to processed carbs. I tend to keep carbs low and peri-workout only and almost never eat processed stuff. Problem is, my metabolism is really flat-lining and after watching the DVD's really would like to try Skiploading. Can it be done effectively with "clean" carbs?

I haven't done it with clean carbs because I am looking for the fast delivery and the insulin response. Still, try it. That is the easiest way to find out of it works or not.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

an active lifestyle, generally good diet and muscle mass are your best allies against diabetes...lots of diabetics in my family to...type 2 that is...I actually call bullshit on this being a hereditary thing, it's lifestyle related

Comment

Originally posted by bigoso View Post
        I actually call bullshit on this being a hereditary thing, it's lifestyle related
        I couldn't agree more!

Comment

Originally posted by odiE View Post
          I couldn't agree more!
          I also agree, based on observing my relatives, heredity might predispose one to diabetes, but lifestyle pulls the trigger.

Comment

an active lifestyle, generally good diet and muscle mass are your best allies against diabetes...lots of diabetics in my family to...type 2 that is...I actually call bullshit on this being a hereditary thing, it's lifestyle related
            Some things are true regardless of who believes them.
            Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
            kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
              Some things are true regardless of who believes them.
              So you actually believe type 2?diabetes is genetic? Find me one type 2 diabetic that has an active lifestyle and isn't a fatass

Comment

I completely agree with you.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                Instagram: @intensemuscle
                YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

I've always called bullshit on hereditary diabetes. Been hammered for my 'ignorance' and 'single-mindedness'. Biggest sigh of relief EVER seeing that others agree.

Sammich, could you please elaborate on your comment?
                  Last edited by MusclesAreSexy; 09-28-2011, 01:11 AM.
                  TEAM :tea: SKIP

2012 IFBB Australian Grand Prix Novice 4th Place.
                  2013 Nabba Victorian Championships Novice 3rd Place.

Comment

I sure hope it's not fucking hereditary. But, I'm busting my ass to get healthy and drop the weight so I don't end up with congestive heart failure + diabetes like my mother did. She was heavily overweight when she passed away in March. Now my older brother is pushing 50 and has a bad lifestyle, was doing better until our other brother passed away in August, now he's off track and back to eating shit and drinking full flavor sodas every day. He's over 400 pounds, has bad knees, shoulders, and has venistacious wounds already on his legs. If you've never seen them, they're horribly disgusting and painful, my mother had them on both legs. Seeing all of this has inspired me to push harder and get out of that danger zone. Zestok, what kind of lifestyle does your uncle and Dad maintain?
                    …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

So you actually believe type 2?diabetes is genetic? Find me one type 2 diabetic that has an active lifestyle and isn't a fatass
                      I do.

My mom died at 54 from diabetes. Her mother had it. Her mother's brothers had it. Grandmother had it too.

My dad is a severe diabetic. His dad died from diabetes.

My latest A1C was high. I am very active, not fat and train just as hard as most here do. I am sure I would technically be considered diabetic if I didn't eat and train the way I do. There is a good chance that one day diet and exercise will not be enough for me.

I am just one example. I know a few insulin dependent type II diabetics that are not fat and eat very good diets.
                      Save 5% off your entire order at TrueProtein.com by using discount code LYP800; 10% if you order 16 lbs or more!

For a protein that can be used anytime, try TeamSkip Blend

You will need a scoop if you don’t have one: Measuring Scoops

Comment

an active lifestyle, generally good diet and muscle mass are your best allies against diabetes.
                        I agree. However, it's not always enough.
                        Save 5% off your entire order at TrueProtein.com by using discount code LYP800; 10% if you order 16 lbs or more!

For a protein that can be used anytime, try TeamSkip Blend

You will need a scoop if you don’t have one: Measuring Scoops

Comment

No shit. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Thats really horrible. Maybe a re-consideration of theory is in order:
                          Lets say most type II diabetics use the hereditary theory as a cop out to help justify their slackness in both lifestyle and diet. But in the less common and unfortunate case as yourself, this is not the case.

Good luck man.
                          TEAM :tea: SKIP

2012 IFBB Australian Grand Prix Novice 4th Place.
                          2013 Nabba Victorian Championships Novice 3rd Place.

Comment

just did a long response and accidentally closed the window.

In short, there is such thing as being genetically predispositioned for type 2 diabetes. You guys shouldn't be so quick to write people off as just being lazy slobs so they got diabetes.

OP, I wouldn't recommend putting your body through that if your family has a lot of diabetes at your current age range. Doesn't seem worth the risk, even if you dont immediately see symptoms.
                            Wanna save 5% on your trueprotein orders? Use my code! CTN001

Comment

Originally posted by BigLar View Post
                              I do.

My mom died at 54 from diabetes. Her mother had it. Her mother's brothers had it. Grandmother had it too.

My dad is a severe diabetic. His dad died from diabetes.

My latest A1C was high. I am very active, not fat and train just as hard as most here do. I am sure I would technically be considered diabetic if I didn't eat and train the way I do. There is a good chance that one day diet and exercise will not be enough for me.

I am just one example. I know a few insulin dependent type II diabetics that are not fat and eat very good diets.
                              Wow.....that's something else...I learned something today then because I honestly have never seen that. If you don't mind me asking ( I understand if this question is too intrusive) when you say "died from diabetes" what do you mean? Also I think just a "good diet" for people predisposed to type 2 or prediabetic may not be the answer...but a keto diet....which the medical community is scared to death of. Now I realize this is anecdotal...but damn near everyone in my family is diabetic..uncles, aunts, grandparents. At one point my mother's weight had gotten very high...around 300...and her fasting glucose was falling in the prediabetic range. She started exercising, keto diet...high fat, high protein, almost no carbs...lost about 140 in less than a year, and her HA1c and fasting glucose came down to a great range. She recently has put some wieght back on...not all, but some...and her Ha1c and fasting glucose are creeping up again

Comment

Working...
                              X