Building a Bigger Bantam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a Bigger Bantam

So I've been doing some experimenting over the last couple of months, both with diet and training. Some things worked better than others and it has definitely been a learning experience. I really took the time to learn about my body, how I respond to different things and had the chance to see the results first hand. I've used high volume approaches, variations of HIT, higher and lower frequencies, different rep schemes...etc. My goal with all of this was to find style of training that i could take into 2014 that will make me the best bantamweight possible... So, going into 2014, this is what I am working with...

Please critique and let me know what needs to be improved on.

EDIT: I'm 5'2" and about 143lbs in these pics. I still need more size but I feel my conditioning is what will set me apart.

mentalflex
    ISOM Winner February 2012
    Last edited by mentalflex; 11-26-2013, 10:40 PM.
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

You look superb mental. You should put your height and weight so people unfamiliar get some context on how big you really are. Its a hard one to judge.

In front lat spread your legs look outstanding, then in the side pose your vastus lateralis looks like it could use some more mass, more so in your tensor facia lat' and abductor..possibly glutes.

Hammies hang nicely, lot of meat there atleast from the pics im looking at.

Back thickness. You have good thickness there. But more wouldnt be any harm.

As always upper chest (like ny on every bodybuilder)

Great points are your vastus medialis, arms and shoulders in good proportion, shoulders look great, calves are great, pec major is good and your conditioning is superb.

Dont takw any of that personally just my thoughts. Please understand that my first reaction was that you look tremendous.

Comment

I'm sorry, I don't think I can give appropriate feedback regarding physiques, but I just wanted to say: DAMN SON.
      Save 5% at TRUEPROTEIN with discount code "MPP883"

Comment

Originally posted by martin_h View Post
        You look superb mental. You should put your height and weight so people unfamiliar get some context on how big you really are. Its a hard one to judge.

In front lat spread your legs look outstanding, then in the side pose your vastus lateralis looks like it could use some more mass, more so in your tensor facia lat' and abductor..possibly glutes.

Hammies hang nicely, lot of meat there atleast from the pics im looking at.

Back thickness. You have good thickness there. But more wouldnt be any harm.

As always upper chest (like ny on every bodybuilder)

Great points are your vastus medialis, arms and shoulders in good proportion, shoulders look great, calves are great, pec major is good and your conditioning is superb.

Dont takw any of that personally just my thoughts. Please understand that my first reaction was that you look tremendous.
        Great critique! Thanks Martin. I do agree about my legs and back has always been lean but lacked mass.

I have always had a flat ass. I squat and squat and squat and it gets strong but I can't get that ghetto bounce.

I think I'll begin incorporating more rowing variations and additional leg work.

Thanks again.

-mental
        Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Trust me you dont want a big kaboose like I have (thanks mum and dad) when you have women commenting that you have a nicer arse than them...its crushing to say the least..maybe i should take up physique or figure

Comment

I think that you have to work back thikness, so deadlifts and rows, but for that you have tot gain mass, otherwise you will no progress because you need to get stronger.
            Work on arm mass, triceps and biceps, again big compounds variating with 1 exercice isolation movement pumping tot faillure.
            Inner front legs, the teardrops, due leg extentions feets pointing outwards.
            Personly I wood take 1 year of to gain overall mass.
            Its not how good you are, but how good you want to be!
            Practise What You Preach!

Comment

Originally posted by marlon View Post
              I'm sorry, I don't think I can give appropriate feedback regarding physiques, but I just wanted to say: DAMN SON.
              LOL... I am far from deserving a "damn son" but thanks haha

Originally posted by martin_h View Post
              Trust me you dont want a big kaboose like I have (thanks mum and dad) when you have women commenting that you have a nicer arse than them...its crushing to say the least..maybe i should take up physique or figure
              I used to be a fat ass going into high school. When i lost the ass it never wanted to come back

Originally posted by theVirus View Post
              I think that you have to work back thikness, so deadlifts and rows, but for that you have tot gain mass, otherwise you will no progress because you need to get stronger.
              Work on arm mass, triceps and biceps, again big compounds variating with 1 exercice isolation movement pumping tot faillure.
              Inner front legs, the teardrops, due leg extentions feets pointing outwards.
              Personly I wood take 1 year of to gain overall mass.
              Well i took this year off for two reasons: 1) to get healthy after losing tons of weight and dealing with GI issue and after GI issue and 2) to to finish grad school.

I know more size can't hurt, but right now, if I am healthy, taking a year off isn't in the cards. It seems my back is the big issue, so time to get rowing and growing.

Thanks for the comments

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

out of title curiosity, i googled

ban·tam
                A chicken of a small breed, of which the cock is noted for its aggressiveness
                :sammich:

Comment

Originally posted by drcrappants View Post
                  out of title curiosity, i googled

ban·tam
                  A chicken of a small breed, of which the cock is noted for its aggressiveness
                  :sammich:
                  So I'm an aggressive cock... makes sense

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                    So I'm an aggressive cock... makes sense
                    read in a different way, could mean your pecker is aggressive... :eyebrows:

Comment

Just curious as to why you can't take a year just to grow. I am not saying you need to but was curious whether it is due to school or commitments you have next year, etc..

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                      Instagram: @intensemuscle
                      YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                      TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: TEAMSK[email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                        Just curious as to why you can't take a year just to grow. I am not saying you need to but was curious whether it is due to school or commitments you have next year, etc..

Skip
                        I can. But to compete is satisfying a mental itch that that I've been wanting to scratch for over year. It seemed like every time something was going my way I had some kind of setback. (knock on wood) After getting healthy and finishing grad school, I can finally put the effort and time into it again.

Another thought was that if I stay a bantam, I still have time to add a few pounds and diet down and come in on the heavier side of the class. I really want that stage experience and to develop a level of comfort out there.

So it isn't that I can't it is just that competing would satisfy a psychological urge I've had for a while.

Skip, if you have time, I'd be interested in your critique and how you would move forward from a bodybuilding coach's perspective. If you are able to and want to PM me instead of putting it out here, that's cool. Really appreciate it.

Thanks

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

The two areas that pop out at me that I think I'd focus on are lats and rear delts.

And on those side poses it looks like you have some space between your legs. Press that front leg into the other leg - and I've found if you push down through your toes on that front leg it brings out more definition in the side of the thigh. And maybe try spiking that toe back toward your heel more.

Also, how does that FDB look when you expand your ribcage and do more of a vacuum instead of flexing down on your abs like that?

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
                          2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
                          2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
                          2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
                          2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

Arms, lats and calves look fine.. Hamstrings look good as well.

I'd say work on back/trap thickness, bring out your quad sweep to match rest of legs more and pound out that chest..

I'm no expert I've only been lifting for 2.5 years but I'd also say a lot can be changed with posing to bring out those lats more on your FDB. Like arching lower back and pushing glutes out behind you and losing the crunch down on abs and go for more of a vacuum pose imo! Also maybe try widening out your rear and front poses down low to get that X shape like in my avatar, it almost seems like your other leg that is straight down seems in actually making your waste look wider.

Also that angle of the camera does not do any justice either.
                            13B-T
                            Intense Muscle Competitor
                            Last edited by 13B-T; 11-27-2013, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by moco View Post
                              The two areas that pop out at me that I think I'd focus on are lats and rear delts.

And on those side poses it looks like you have some space between your legs. Press that front leg into the other leg - and I've found if you push down through your toes on that front leg it brings out more definition in the side of the thigh. And maybe try spiking that toe back toward your heel more.

Also, how does that FDB look when you expand your ribcage and do more of a vacuum instead of flexing down on your abs like that?
                              Excellent. Thanks moco. Lats are a definitely weak point and I've always wanted larger shoulders. I'm thinking more Turing would yield more rear delt activation.

And thanks for the posing pointers. I'll see what the vacuum pose looks like on the FDB

Originally posted by 13B-T View Post
                              Arms, lats and calves look fine.. Hamstrings look good as well.

I'd say work on back/trap thickness, bring out your quad sweep to match rest of legs more and pound out that chest..

I'm no expert I've only been lifting for 2.5 years but I'd also say a lot can be changed with posing to bring out those lats more on your FDB. Like arching lower back and pushing glutes out behind you and losing the crunch down on abs and go for more of a vacuum pose imo! Also maybe try widening out your rear and front poses down low to get that X shape like in my avatar, it almost seems like your other leg that is straight down seems in actually making your waste look wider.

Also that angle of the camera does not do any justice either.
                              All great points 13-bt! Appreciate the constructive criticism and am going to make some changes to the training and play around with my posing.

So far y'all have been very helpful. Thanks to all who have provided feedback

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Working...
                              X