Please critique my back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please critique my back

Been lifting for a while now and I'm just looking for an honest opinion on my back.

Age 23
    Height: 5'10"
    weight:171
    Bench: 285
    Squat: 400
    DL: 465
    Attached Files
    "Where the mind goes the body follows." -Arnold

Looks good. Plenty of room for potential with it. Definitely need to keep pounding the weight for more and more size.
    Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
    FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
    www.316fit.com
    Email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
      Looks good. Plenty of room for potential with it. Definitely need to keep pounding the weight for more and more size.
      Yeah you got good upper back, lower back smallish but it'll come with time. Just pound away ad see what'll happen in 20 pounds.

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate the responses

Comment

In line with what Fade said, the potential is there. Your insertions seem pretty good, enabling you to make a nice taper. Overall back thickness seems a little lacking (heavy rows) and Pull-ups and chins will help bring out that width. With solid, heavy training and some more weight to your frame you'll be on the way.
          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I'm actually cutting right now and have been for 9 weeks. The last 2 weeks I've been doing DC training for the first time and have already progressed in weight and reps. I just bought DAA, APE test booster, PES erase, PES alpha t2, and Geonomyx DCP. My plan was to get down to 7-8% bf before my bulk, but It would be nice to have this stack help me build some more muscle while the DCP and AT2 keeps fat away than be in a deficit and lose weight. Based on these pics would you say I'm in an ideal position to start a gaining phase? I could send some more pics if needed. I've never had a good gaining phase and it seems most of my years of serious training(1 1/2 now) have been aimed at losing weight. Do you think I could start now at bringing up my muscle mass or wait till I get a little leaner?

Comment

What is your BF%? Feel free to post up some additional pics showing your complete physique.

This is just my opinion, but I tend to think that if one is on the fence as to whether they should continue to lean out or start a mass phase, they should first get lean then add the size. My reasoning is that I think that once you ate lean your body starts to optimize the use of nutrients from being in a deficit and it also builds confidence that you know how to diet and get lean again.

On the other side of the coin, adding muscle now may make it easier to lose weight down the road because your overall increase in muscle mass will give you a higher BMR, so you'll be burning more kcals throughout the day.

You just have to decide which approach fits you best.
              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
              2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
              2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Thanks man. Last time I got my bf checked it was 2 weeks ago ( free bf check every tues at my gym)and the calipers read 9.2%( although I think I look like I'm around 12%). I used to be fat and have a lot of stretch marks and what seems to be loose skin, so maybe that's why. I'll think it over today and tonight as to if I want to go into a building phase or not. I've had to make these decisions before and it always takes me a little while to finally set my mind on one or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by j9899 View Post
                  Been lifting for a while now and I'm just looking for an honest opinion on my back.

Age 23
                  Height: 5'10"
                  weight:171
                  Bench: 285
                  Squat: 400
                  DL: 465
                  those are some really good numbers, especially DL at 170lbs body weight....

Comment

Thanks. I've always seemed to do well in the strength department for my size. I'd like to try going on a bulk along with a powerlifting routine such as 5/3/1 or westside barbell one day to see what I can get my numbers up to.

Comment

If you used to be heavy it makes sense that you want to stay lean. I personally like being larger but I'm one of those permanent bulkers. Either way you just need some time to fill in the gaps and you seem to be on your way.

Comment

Here are some more pics. If I could get some opinions on my bf% it would be greatly appreciated. I seem to have a very hard time losing the fat and was very fat about 7 years ago(wide hips, narrow shoulder-endo build). I've been dieting for a while(12 weeks) and it's starting to get exhausting. I'm wanting to put on some more mass as I think I'm certainly lacking at 5'10" and now 168. I actually remember looking leaner at 180 lbs and 5 weeks into this cut(abs starting to show). I switched over to a ckd diet and started losing more weight, but definition doesn't seem near as good as 10 lbs ago. Calories have been cycled with surplus days and large deficit days. I really want to go on a building phase, but not if my bf% isn't ideal. Would you continue to diet a little longer or start a clean building phase using DC? What do you think my bf% is?

Thanks
                        Attached Files

Comment

from your back photo I was guessing 12% ...but after seeing your abs.. 15-17% is more realistic....as a general rule..at 10% ,,,,most people have a solid set of abs..12% would give a 4 pack ...with some loose change ..8% is really solid abs and intercostals ( at most local shows..not very many BB get to 8% ...4-6% ,,you should be able to pinch waist back of hand ...and thigh ..all will be the same ..
                          A girl walks up to me and says" My God you're good looking!"
                          ME " I know"
                          Her"WHAT!"
                          Me " I know I am good looking"
                          Her" You're also and asshole"
                          ME " I know that too!"

Comment

They are being nice and respectful and I can appreciate that but the truth is that you don't need to get any leaner, you need to add muscle while not adding a lot of fat and that is relatively easy to do if you can stay consistent and know what you are doing with your diet and training.

I, too, can understand that you want to be lean or maybe even "ripped" after being heavy in the past BUT ... you don't have the muscle, yet, to do that and without added muscle, you won't get the look that you are likely chasing. There just isn't enough muscle, yet, so even if you COULD get super lean you wouldn't look like you wanted to look, I would almost BET you.

Go into your gaining phase and keep control of your cals and slowly and consistently grow muscle and if you can keep your body fat controlled, you will actually appear leaner as you gain more muscle.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                            Instagram: @intensemuscle
                            YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                            TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Thanks for all the responses . I'm going to postpone this cut and go into a controlled gaining phase using DC. I'll be eating clean with about a 200-300 surplus and I just bought some green tea and some Geonomyx DCP to help control bf just in case.

Comment

Working...
                              X