Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save me!

Ok folks,
    To keep it short...I have fallen very bad from the gym flock. After 2 years of working 2 jobs at bagel shops, school, poor diets etc., I have found myself in a very unfamiliar place. Having gone from a skinny guy of 125 in college up to 175 and now to 152 with a 34inch WAIST (I'm 5' 6 1/2") I don't know what route to take. For the past month, I have been experimenting with a Keto diet but after my last weigh-in, I lost about 2lbs of muscle and only a 1/4lb of fat. I keep consistent track of my meals so I'm not sure if my diet choices are wrong, goal wrong or whatever. As always, you guy's honest insight is always greatly appreciated. Oh, I am currently doing my doctoral research on diet, exericise and the Classical Singer. It what be nice to be able to practice what I preach lol.

On average here is my daily meal intake: (though this diet does vary a lot sadly)
    weight: 152lbs 12%bf
    calories: 1600

Meal 1: 1serving ON whey protein with 2tbsps Olive Oil
    Meal 2: 2 whole eggs with 2oz Beef Chuck, 2 tbsps butter, 1 cup spinach
    Meal 3: 3oz Top round beef with mixed greens and 2oz ranch dressing
    Meal 4: 5 oz Beef Chuck

Suppliments Include:
    CLA 3 times Daily
    BCCAs pills @ 2 times day
    Multi
    Vit C
    Fiber Suppliments 3 times Daily
    Xenadrine Ripped 2 times daily

Workout 3 times a week.
    Thanks as always guys.
    "I will be solid, I will be bigger than anyone thought I could be" - me

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in times of comfort and convenience but at times of challenge and controversty."-Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Ok sorry, had to resize the picture. Just frontal relaxed.
    Attached Files

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in times of comfort and convenience but at times of challenge and controversty."-Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

What are you goals? If you don't know, break it down into more simple questions. Like:

1 Do I want to compete? Bodybuilding? Powerlifting? Other sports?

2. What would my ideal physique be?

3. Do I feel comfortable with my current condition? Do I feel fat? Do I feel skinny?

These are some of the questions I asked myself when I started back. I hope it helps a bit.
      1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
      2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
      2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
      2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
      2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
      2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
      Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Goal wise, while i don't want to compete, i definetly wouldn't mind having a competition worthy body.
        2. With that, ideally i want to get to a decent 170-175
        3. Definetly not happen with my current physique. It's my midsection that's making me crazy the most. Tiny arms/chest yet, for the first time in my life, actual love handles.

Comment

From the info you give, it doesn't look like you are eating enough. If your current diet has you losing muscle in significantly greater proportion than fat, it isn't taking your where you want to go. Sounds like your body thinks it's starving (survival), and is holding fat while ridding itself of that pesky highly metabolic tissue (muscle). Here are some suggestions:

Increase cals overall. Get in more protein (shoot for 6 oz. meat or 1.5-2 scoops ON per meal). You don't mention any cardio. If you aren't doing any, add in 2-3 sessions a week, even if it's just brisk walking. Give your body reason to increase the metabolism. Personally, I would find a way to allow carbs to be a greater part of the formula, but that would likely require a tweaking of your fats.

If you are working on your phd, I'd imagine you have quite a busy schedule and a steady dose of stress. Make sure to make time purely for relaxation (doing this around meals times would be great).

OT: How does the Classical Singer fit into your area of study?
          Last edited by phoenix13; 10-12-2011, 11:52 AM.
          2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
          2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
          2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
          2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
          2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
          2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

You are very low on calories ! Do you have regular refeeds ?
            True Protein 5% discount code: JVM902

What we do in life... echoes in eternity !

Comment

Originally posted by djvocal03 View Post
              Ok folks,
              To keep it short...I have fallen very bad from the gym flock. After 2 years of working 2 jobs at bagel shops, school, poor diets etc., I have found myself in a very unfamiliar place. Having gone from a skinny guy of 125 in college up to 175 and now to 152 with a 34inch WAIST (I'm 5' 6 1/2") I don't know what route to take. For the past month, I have been experimenting with a Keto diet but after my last weigh-in, I lost about 2lbs of muscle and only a 1/4lb of fat. I keep consistent track of my meals so I'm not sure if my diet choices are wrong, goal wrong or whatever. As always, you guy's honest insight is always greatly appreciated. Oh, I am currently doing my doctoral research on diet, exericise and the Classical Singer. It what be nice to be able to practice what I preach lol.

On average here is my daily meal intake: (though this diet does vary a lot sadly)
              weight: 152lbs 12%bf
              calories: 1600

Meal 1: 1serving ON whey protein with 2tbsps Olive Oil
              Meal 2: 2 whole eggs with 2oz Beef Chuck, 2 tbsps butter, 1 cup spinach
              Meal 3: 3oz Top round beef with mixed greens and 2oz ranch dressing
              Meal 4: 5 oz Beef Chuck

Suppliments Include:
              CLA 3 times Daily
              BCCAs pills @ 2 times day
              Multi
              Vit C
              Fiber Suppliments 3 times Daily
              Xenadrine Ripped 2 times daily

Workout 3 times a week.
              Thanks as always guys.
              You need to gain more muscle before dieting down or else you will remain skinny....... My advise, bulk up.... increase your intensity at the gym..... You aren't eating enough... Maybe try something like this,

M1: 5 Egg Whites, 2 Whole, 1 Cup Oatmeal
              M2: 2 Scoops Whey, 2 Tbs Olive Oil, Apple with Peanut Butter
              M3: 10 OZ Red Meat , 1 Cup Rice
              M4: 10 OZ Chicken/Turkey, 1 Cup Rice
              M5: 10 OZ Red Meat, 1 Cup Rice
              M6: 6 Egg Whites, 1/2 C Cottage Cheese

***Maybe instead of Whey supplement with a gainer shake.**** IF you can afford, maybe throw in another shake with Meal 3 or 4*****

If your only lifting 3 times a week, make sure you lift HEAVY..........
              SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: MUSCLEHOUSE

:llama:

Comment

Ok, so sorry for the lack of responses but to catch up:

I have, in fact, decided to go ahead and increase my food intake and go back to what I know i.e. eat big and lift big lol. so far I've put on a good 8lbs of mass and hoping to keep the progress going.

@Phoenix13: Well I'm also a classical singer but since a kid, I was a huge bodybuilding fan. Even though exercise is "somewhat" advocated, a lot of professionals have the "fat Lady" singing mentality so I'm working to devolop programs and provide research devoted to fitness for that particular group and subgroups.

Comment

Working...
                X