5"6" 24 yrs old 147 lbs where to go from here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5"6" 24 yrs old 147 lbs where to go from here

What's going on guys! As in the topic, just looking for a bit of direction for how to proceed given my current physique. Was dieting down for a while training "purely hypertrophy", following the mountaindog training programs and now I feel sort of in a limbo. Been fooling around with some renaissance periodization stuff but find that volume way of training just flat out boring. So basically asking what I should be doing training wise and nutrition wise from here. End goal is to honestly just maximize my physique. Not necessarily ever planning to compete but love the lifestyle of it. Haven't trained for strength really but my best lift that i know of are 185 bench, 255x8 squat and 365 sumo deadlift. Thank you all for the feedback and input really appreciate it as I feel i have just been spinning my wheels due to a lack of guidance and want to just get on a path with something and nail it.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

I'm curious how old you are.

Your physique is quite balanced and you have good shape. It's too bad that you have no desire to compete because as you build more tissues, if you are able to keep this shape and balance, you might do very well on stage, in time.

If you are looking for something completely different, I have 2 options for you. Keep in mind that these 2 options aren't long-term recommendations but they could provide you a radically different stimulus for 2-4 months as a change of pace:

1. 5x5
    2. Mountain Dog and Dave Tate (elitefts) recently put together a kind of "powerbuilding" program that combines powerlifting strength training with bodybuilding movements. This could provide a stimulus that could keep you interested AND growing.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Thank you for the response Skip! \

I am 24 years old currently, as of yesterday haha just turned.

I wouldn't say I wouldn't be open to competing but for where I am at in my life currently, I don't believe I could afford all that comes with a competition (coach, all the supps, fees, travel,etc). But if someone truly thought I had enough potential I would be open to trying it. Having wrestled all my life I love a good, new, challenging, athletic endeavor. I feel though, I would definitely need more size before anything but don't we all lol.

I appreciate the response and thank you for the recommendations!

Comment

We all need more size, so I can relate. And it can certainly get expensive -- no doubt.

Keep killing it; you have plenty of time. I won't be surprised to see you do well on stage in your near future.

Skip

Originally posted by mountaindog97 View Post
        Thank you for the response Skip! \

I am 24 years old currently, as of yesterday haha just turned.

I wouldn't say I wouldn't be open to competing but for where I am at in my life currently, I don't believe I could afford all that comes with a competition (coach, all the supps, fees, travel,etc). But if someone truly thought I had enough potential I would be open to trying it. Having wrestled all my life I love a good, new, challenging, athletic endeavor. I feel though, I would definitely need more size before anything but don't we all lol.

I appreciate the response and thank you for the recommendations!

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Wow, honestly didn't really even think much of my physique so to hear that is motivating, especially coming from someone so reputable and respected.

Yes plenty of work still to do in terms of adding tissue, always the harder part for me (cursing out social media and the chronic need to be lean). But in an effort to simplify everything, believe I am just going to run program 1 from John Meadows, Pain and Suffering, nail my peri-workout nutrition and work on the rest of my days intake as that is where I struggle.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond and honestly reinvigorate/motivate me to continue on the path!

Comment

Originally posted by mountaindog97 View Post
            Wow, honestly didn't really even think much of my physique so to hear that is motivating, especially coming from someone so reputable and respected.

Yes plenty of work still to do in terms of adding tissue, always the harder part for me (cursing out social media and the chronic need to be lean). But in an effort to simplify everything, believe I am just going to run program 1 from John Meadows, Pain and Suffering, nail my peri-workout nutrition and work on the rest of my days intake as that is where I struggle.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond and honestly reinvigorate/motivate me to continue on the path!
            If you can dial in your nutrition for later in the day, you will likely progress even more. John's training programs are great. Be sure to keep us posted on how things are going.

Skip

Comment

• mountaindog97
              mountaindog97 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey Skip just posting an update as I just completed program 1 12 weeks of pain and suffering by John. Attached physique photos below. Weight is sitting in that 153-156 range so added anywhere from 6-9 lbs over these last 12 weeks and I don’t think it got too sloppy would love to hear your input on where to continue on from here!! Thanks!

Depends on your goals (where to go). I like what Skip said about 5x5. I use that all the time, and love "Powerbuilding" type training.
            (5x5 for main big lifts (Bench, SQ, DL), throw in some high-rep hypertrophy stuff after the big lifts). If you want to grow you need to eat and not diet down.
            Keep it tight, but eat a bit over-maintenance. I always did 500-1K cals over maintenance to keep it tight and grow (slowly as a natty).

If taking gear, things can/will be a bit different, but growth over time takes patience, love for training, dedication.
            Most (or many) look for the fast-path to gains, with not much regard for health. I trained from age 12 to 50 natty before jumping on TRT, so theres one thing I do have is 'love for training, caring about health, and SLOW/patient gains. (Like 30 lbs over 30 years slow (after the initial noob gains from age 13 to 18) since I wanted to keep it fairly tight).

Comment

I never understood what guys meant when they say “hypertrophy” training. If you’re not getting stronger over time you won’t grow. The biggest guys are usually the strongest guys. I’m not a fan of RP who has actually had success with their programs? Volume is not and never was the primary driver of growth. I’d honestly recommend you at your age to go over to the Dog pound and puppy pound forums and read everything you can and hop on DC and stick with it consistently for years. It’s proven and it didn’t need a ton of misinterpreted studies to back it up. You grow outside of the gym when you’re resting not by squeezing out another sub failure set trying to figure out how many reps you had in the tank avoiding failure.
              Just my thoughts

Comment

Hey Skip just posting an update as I just completed program 1 12 weeks of pain and suffering by John. Attached physique photos below. Weight is sitting in that 153-156 range so added anywhere from 6-9 lbs over these last 12 weeks and I don’t think it got too sloppy would love to hear your input on where to continue on from here!! Thanks!
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Hell yes!

Keep freakin' going! Did you stop the workout plan because gains stopped or slowed, or did you stop it because the duration of the plan was only 12 weeks?

I ask because if it is working for you (and seems to be), you might want to deload or cruise, and then continue on with it until the gains slow. Momma said you don't fix what ain't broke.

Skip

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                    Hell yes!

Keep freakin' going! Did you stop the workout plan because gains stopped or slowed, or did you stop it because the duration of the plan was only 12 weeks?

I ask because if it is working for you (and seems to be), you might want to deload or cruise, and then continue on with it until the gains slow. Momma said you don't fix what ain't broke.

Skip
                    Yeah I completed the last arm workout today!! I say wrapped up only because the plan was 12 weeks in duration. Was planning on reloading this upcoming week and then hopping on to program 2 the batterer!! But I’m totally game for another run of this program. Just wanted to keep you updated on how things were going! Will look to check back in in another 12 weeks. Will keep pursuing the size then at this point!!

Comment

Understood and be sure to keep me posted!

Skip

Comment

Working...
                      X