Poor circulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor circulation

Ive been having problems sleeping with what i think is a side effect of more muscle mass. I sleep on my belly and therefore during the night my arms are usually under my pillow. I will wake up in the middle of the night with my arms asleep (i.e. poor circulation). It is becoming a difficult thing. Any suggestions other than sleep on my back, any thoughts comments? Anyone else experience anything similar.
    Good Lord, im getting a reading of over 40 mega-FONZIES. :

I can't sleep on my back or my stomach. When I sleep on my stomach I wake up feeling like someone's taken a baseball bat to my lower back and when I sleep on my back my arms go numb and I can't feel my hands. It's been this way for years for me though, before the lifting. Before having kids I slept on my stomach with no problems. Oh well.
    "The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." -
    Theodore Rubin

Mod @ Proactivehealthnet

Comment

ever since i have passed 210 i cannot sleep on my back.

i used to sleep as if i were dead in a coffin but now my ribs hurt when i sleep like that.

i think it is from my wife elbowing me when i snore!! no actually i am sure of it!

i have had to really pay attention to how i sleep now though. if i sleep with my arms above my head and under the pillow they will ache and my shoulders will hurt for the next day. i can only assume it is due to the extra weight.

i sleep holding a pillow or putting one under one of my legs while sleeping on my side and it seems to help greatly.

Comment

Originally posted by tarmon8r
        Ive been having problems sleeping with what i think is a side effect of more muscle mass. I sleep on my belly and therefore during the night my arms are usually under my pillow. I will wake up in the middle of the night with my arms asleep (i.e. poor circulation). It is becoming a difficult thing. Any suggestions other than sleep on my back, any thoughts comments? Anyone else experience anything similar.
        that would probably happen to me if I sleep on the stomach with hands above head, I just don't sleep on the stomach, doesn't feel to comfortable to me and not that good for my low back (lik TheLil'Missus). I remember when I woke up in the middle of the night with one hand above head (I was sleeping on my back) and it was compleetely numb, I had to use my other hand to get my hand back,... scary, lol,............. my hands just seem to go numb if they are over my head, doesn't matter if I'm on my back or stomach.
        each day is an opportunity to move you closer to your goals.

<--- Batdog needs trueprotein for his superpowers www.trueprotein.com
        for a discount use my Batdog approved discount code: EGO693

Comment

hands going numb when they are above you head could be a sign of thoracic outlet syndrome... stretching out our pec minor and scalene muscles may help with the problem - they tend to get tight in people who lift heavily... could also be nerve related - I have some disc issues in my neck and if I sleep wrong I wake up with half of my hand asleep from nerve compression... good stuff!

TrueNutrition.com discount code: AAL229 saves you 5%

Feel free to PM me with injury questions - I'll get back to you soon as I can.

Comment

Originally posted by PTAaron
            hands going numb when they are above you head could be a sign of thoracic outlet syndrome... stretching out our pec minor and scalene muscles may help with the problem - they tend to get tight in people who lift heavily... could also be nerve related - I have some disc issues in my neck and if I sleep wrong I wake up with half of my hand asleep from nerve compression... good stuff!
            Aaron, Nice post, appreciate that...
            "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

Good info. My arms fall asleep when I put them under my pillow at night, but the reason is obvious. Your head puts pressure on the pillow, your pillow is over your arm. At some point the head is such that is cuts off circulation to some vein, hence it falls asleep from lack of blood flow.
              5'8'', 215 lbs.

Raw powerlifter.

Comment

Ive done some research on thoracic outlet syndrome. I need a balance between interior and posterior shoulder muscles. Has nothing to do with my head on the pillow. The pressure of my arms above my head is restricting blood flow to my limbs.

Some recommended stretches for anyone interested.
                Doorway Modified Chest Stretch Instructions:
                Preparation

Stand at end of wall or in doorway facing perpendicular to wall. Place front of shoulder and inside of bent arm on surface of wall. Position bent elbow around the same height of shoulder. Position both feet back behind original stance.
                Execution

Lean into wall allowing shoulder to be pushed back. Turn body away from positioned arm. Hold stretch. Repeat with opposite arm.

Straight Arm Chest Stretch Instructions:
                Preparation

With arm extended, position hand on fixed structure shoulder height.
                Execution

Turn body away from positioned arm. Hold stretch. Repeat with opposite arm.

Wall Shoulder Girdle Stretch Instructions:
                Preparation

Position back against wall. Place feet away from wall, slightly bending hips and knees. Bend elbows and position back of arms against wall with elbows to sides.
                Execution

Push shoulders and arms into wall and slowly raise arms as high as possible. Still pushing shoulders and arms, slowly lower arms to starting position.

Comments
                This dynamic shoulder girdle stretch exercises the rhomboids and tapezius isometrically while stretching the pectoralis minor and major. It can be prescribed for a protracted shoulder girdle.
                Keep lower and upper back against wall. Continuously push shoulders and arms into wall throughout stretch. Although the arms move slowly throughout the stretch, the shoulders, elbows, and wrists are continuously pushing back against the wall.

Broom Stick Subscapularis Stretch Instructions:

Preparation

Grasp end of pole to side of head with other end of pole behind arm. Bring elbow forward slightly and bend wrist back. Reach around body with opposite arm and grasp lower end of pole. Place pole in middle of the back side of the upper arm. Position elbow at height of shoulder.
                Execution

Pull lower end of pole forward so shoulder is externally rotated.. Hold stretch. Repeat with opposite arm.
                See pic.
                Last edited by tarmon8r; 12-15-2004, 09:10 AM.
                Good Lord, im getting a reading of over 40 mega-FONZIES. :

Comment

i sleep on my side, similar to the fetal position, always have, no real reason tho....
                  -----------------------------------
                  TrueProtein.com
                  Discount Code: grm229
                  ------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X