• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is for Doug because he likes to surf

'The shark is bigger than the helicopter'

November 15 2004 at 02:00PM

By Wendell Roelf

The woman attacked by a shark on Monday morning while swimming off Sunny Cove, near Fish Hoek, has been identified as 77-year-old Tyna Webb.

She is presumed dead.

Webb lived in the area and had been swimming at Fish Hoek beach at dawn for the past 17 years, a statement from rescue services said.

15 people who witnessed the attack
    Webb was attacked by a massive great white shark.

Rescue personnel, including seaborne and airborne services, were still trying to locate Webb's body.

About 15 people who witnessed the attack were receiving trauma counselling.

"All efforts to find the lady have been exhausted by a wide and thorough search. We are hoping that police divers will be successful in their efforts," said Darren Zimmerman, the National Sea Rescue Institute's station commander at Simon's Town.

Emergency services personnel will remain on scene to monitor the situation and law enforcement have been asked to advise people not to enter the water between Muizenberg and Simon's Town on Monday.

'The shark is bigger than the helicopter'
    A witness to the attack on the False Bay coast described how the shark circled Webb before attacking her.

"All that was left was a little red bathing cap," said False Bay Yacht Club rear commodore Paul Dennett, who witnessed the attack from his home, about 100 metres from where the bloodied water was dissipating.

Dennett said that at about 7am he saw a lot of thrashing in the water, about 20 metres off the shoreline of Fish Hoek beach.

He went outside and saw the shark attacking something, which he initially suspected was a seal.

"Then I saw somebody in the water; there was a helluva lot of blood."

Dennett said he immediately called rescue services to raise the alarm.

"I then saw the shark circle around the victim... and then in just one big mouth, and not even breaching the water, took her in," said Dennett.

Dennett said in all his life he had never seen a shark as big, estimating it to be at least six metres long.

His fiancee and her daughter, who also witnessed the attack, were traumatised.

Dennett said they screamed to other bathers enjoying their ritual early morning swim to get out of the water.

There are usually about 30 to 40 swimmers in the early morning.

NSRI spokesman Craig Lambinon said a shark had been spotted in the vicinity of Clovelly, near Fish Hoek.

The crew of a rescue helicopter saw the shark and described it as being bigger than their craft - over 20 feet long.

"The shark is bigger than the helicopter... it is huge," he said.
    IG is

@dante_trudel

Scared?
    CrossFit Champions
    Champions Combat Arts

Comment

Makes me happy that i dont have sharks anywhere near my house.

Comment

Life is what you make of it.

Comment

you are such a sally it is unreal.

please everyone refer to dante as sally or marry, trust me one of these names suit him well.

d
          TRUEPROTEIN.COM

THE HIGHEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS AT THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICE...

Comment

Originally posted by tpc
            please everyone refer to dante as sally or marry, trust me one of these names suit him well.
            LOLOL, thats was great, lol...
            "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

Originally posted by tpc
              you are such a sally it is unreal.

d

Damn wish I would have seen that before I sent the last email. LOLOL!
              Through the best and the worst
              The struggle and sacrifice.
              For the true who've remained and the new blood.
              Motivation, undying allegiance
              Striving through the hardships and affliction.
              Every drop of blood
              Every bitter tear
              Every bead of sweat
              I live for this

Comment

Working...
              X