New blast input appreciated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Henke_prytz View Post
    I like the use of the high incline press for delts (and chest) smart use of exercise selection. How do you feel about rest pausing the HS rows? I haven't done any rest pause for my back thickness moves due to the injury risk. But maybe I can get away with the RP the HS???
    I get a better deltoid contraction with the high incline (60 degrees).

It has something to do with pressing against a bench to get a more intense shoulder contraction.

Also, the benefit of not getting external rotation helps the rotator cuffs.

I been rotating this with barbells, dumbbells, and the smith, this blast.

Not that I am anything near contest condition but I surely am being successful with this exercise selection.

The highest incline for chest I like is 15-30 degrees or else I get too much of a deltoid workout from them, so I use the adjustable benches now. One day I'll do 15 degrees on the smith and the other day I'll do maybe 30 degrees in the squat racks. Last day I use free barbell decline (love it) dorian yates explained how it works the whole chest, and i have been using them since. It removes the shoulders much out of the pressing so it is more focused on the pecs.

And Dante said somewhere that we could rest pause a hammer strength row.. i didn't say you would be doing this for a bent over row or deadlift obviously

I assume since we are not bent over during the row it is not carrying the risks of a barbell row and we can rest pause...but it was said we could do it.

hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by andishehhank View Post
      I get a better deltoid contraction with the high incline (60 degrees).

It has something to do with pressing against a bench to get a more intense shoulder contraction.

Also, the benefit of not getting external rotation helps the rotator cuffs.

I been rotating this with barbells, dumbbells, and the smith, this blast.

Not that I am anything near contest condition but I surely am being successful with this exercise selection.

The highest incline for chest I like is 15-30 degrees or else I get too much of a deltoid workout from them, so I use the adjustable benches now. One day I'll do 15 degrees on the smith and the other day I'll do maybe 30 degrees in the squat racks. Last day I use free barbell decline (love it) dorian yates explained how it works the whole chest, and i have been using them since. It removes the shoulders much out of the pressing so it is more focused on the pecs.

And Dante said somewhere that we could rest pause a hammer strength row.. i didn't say you would be doing this for a bent over row or deadlift obviously

I assume since we are not bent over during the row it is not carrying the risks of a barbell row and we can rest pause...but it was said we could do it.

hope this helps

Ah ok! Now I get the reasoning for your chest choices. I used to do them on a high incline but have been trying to make it a bit more upright over time. So now I feel pretty good with them, but I might have to try the "old" way again for comparison. I just re-read the basic instructions for DC and I can't believe I haven't RP my hammer rows. Well this blast i'll get onto that. Thanks for bringing that up. Are you doing your rows in the 11-15 or 11-20 range?

Comment

Ah ok! Now I get the reasoning for your chest choices. I used to do them on a high incline but have been trying to make it a bit more upright over time. So now I feel pretty good with them, but I might have to try the "old" way again for comparison. I just re-read the basic instructions for DC and I can't believe I haven't RP my hammer rows. Well this blast i'll get onto that. Thanks for bringing that up. Are you doing your rows in the 11-15 or 11-20 range?
        I use a low incline and decline on my chest presses because it is easy on the rotator cuffs. With a flat bench you can easily get an internal rotation in your shoulders, so I am trying to avoid them.

i noticed that Dante usually stuck to around 15 rest paused reps, so that's what I was using too. Then I read cycles for pennies and he said the same thing that he likes ~15. (For all his rest paused exercises)

Usually once I can hit over 18-20 reps I'll add weight. But some days I'll be in the gym and I see in my log book I did 17 reps last time and I think I would be failing to get 19 this time so I would just add 5 pounds (~2.3 kg) instead. Dante mentioned he added 5 pounds to his lifts when he failed to hit a PR on the last try, as well. Usually I try to add as much weight as possible like 10-20 pounds (~4.5-9 kg) because Dante said the gains come faster with bigger weight jumps. But I make sure I am feeling REALLY good, like I got 18-20+ clean, powerful reps last workout. I try to put in my logbook if I had a good or a bad set a well (and how much weight I should remember to try to add the next time.) Else wise, I'll do a microloading. Makes sense to me.

I think overtraining is very real and we have to be careful and use what works best for ourselves at the individual basis. Dante said this many times and it's true. But personally I have more fun using a weight I can truly control and fail around 10-12 reps on my first set in the rest pause, rather than finishing at 11 reps after all 3 rest paused. It much more fun and and I feel safer as well. It is slightly easier for me mentally knowing I'll be going as high as 20 reps on some sets because if I had to add 5 pounds, I would still be getting a good number of reps. Not a big deal though. 11-20 is perfect, and I have been liking being around 15-20 usually. Hope that makes sense. and sorry for the rant, lol.

Also keep in mind that you could rest pause a seated cable row as well, HP.
        Last edited by andishehhank; 02-03-2018, 03:57 PM.

Comment

A2

• Incline bb press 11-15 rest-pause 90x8/4/3/15
          • DB OH press 20-30 rest-pause 25x 20/10/7 /37
          • EZ Dead skull crushers 20-30 rest-pause 45x 16/8/6/30
          • Wide grip pulldown 11-20 rest-pause 100x 10/7/5/22
          • BB row 4-8 9-12 150x 8 130x12

Didn't have time to post this yesterday so better late than never. Good workout and I felt like my body had more drive than previously. So I'm getting back to what things used to feel like. Looking forward what can happen this year!!!
          Last edited by Henke_prytz; 02-04-2018, 08:09 AM.

Comment

I use a low incline and decline on my chest presses because it is easy on the rotator cuffs. With a flat bench you can easily get an internal rotation in your shoulders, so I am trying to avoid them.

i noticed that Dante usually stuck to around 15 rest paused reps, so that's what I was using too. Then I read cycles for pennies and he said the same thing that he likes ~15. (For all his rest paused exercises)

Usually once I can hit over 18-20 reps I'll add weight. But some days I'll be in the gym and I see in my log book I did 17 reps last time and I think I would be failing to get 19 this time so I would just add 5 pounds (~2.3 kg) instead. Dante mentioned he added 5 pounds to his lifts when he failed to hit a PR on the last try, as well. Usually I try to add as much weight as possible like 10-20 pounds (~4.5-9 kg) because Dante said the gains come faster with bigger weight jumps. But I make sure I am feeling REALLY good, like I got 18-20+ clean, powerful reps last workout. I try to put in my logbook if I had a good or a bad set a well (and how much weight I should remember to try to add the next time.) Else wise, I'll do a microloading. Makes sense to me.

I think overtraining is very real and we have to be careful and use what works best for ourselves at the individual basis. Dante said this many times and it's true. But personally I have more fun using a weight I can truly control and fail around 10-12 reps on my first set in the rest pause, rather than finishing at 11 reps after all 3 rest paused. It much more fun and and I feel safer as well. It is slightly easier for me mentally knowing I'll be going as high as 20 reps on some sets because if I had to add 5 pounds, I would still be getting a good number of reps. Not a big deal though. 11-20 is perfect, and I have been liking being around 15-20 usually. Hope that makes sense. and sorry for the rant, lol.

Also keep in mind that you could rest pause a seated cable row as well, HP.
            Yeah, that makes a lot of sense to skip exercises like flat bench, I have never really done them before DC either so it's not like im missing them.

Yeah I read somewhere on here about using different rep ranges for different excercises so I have been sticking with 11-15 on most things and then a few I've done the 11-20 since a lot of people on here seemed to think that long term progression was better in that range. But it is true that you have to find what works for you and stick with that. I have been just feeling it out how much I can get away with adding on the bar. Usually I don't go up in weight till I have reached the top end of my rep range. If it is 20 I haven't gone up until i hit 20. Not sure that is the correct way and it might take longer to progress, don't know???

Comment

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense to skip exercises like flat bench, I have never really done them before DC either so it's not like im missing them.

Yeah I read somewhere on here about using different rep ranges for different excercises so I have been sticking with 11-15 on most things and then a few I've done the 11-20 since a lot of people on here seemed to think that long term progression was better in that range. But it is true that you have to find what works for you and stick with that. I have been just feeling it out how much I can get away with adding on the bar. Usually I don't go up in weight till I have reached the top end of my rep range. If it is 20 I haven't gone up until i hit 20. Not sure that is the correct way and it might take longer to progress, don't know???
              You have to work with what you have. If you hit 18-19 reps and are feeling aggressive as fuck next time around, you will be OK if you add more weight. You might even do 20+ reps with the added weight (happens to me, sometimes.)

But if you don't seem to believe you can get away with it, stick to the same weight and just go for more reps.

We don't have to add weight every time, this is not just about numbers to lift more. If we can still squeeze out of our current working weight for some more gains, then that's the ideal thing to do. its all about beating the log book. going from 15 RP to 30 RP is good fucking progress as well, and you are likely to avoid injuries that way. But we all have to set the line somewhere as when to add weight. But don't worry about it, if you feel like you should still use the same weight and go for 20+ reps next time, then you are still going to grow.

these are all different situations. you gotta be ready to make these decisions workout to workout.
              Last edited by andishehhank; 02-03-2018, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Alright dude, so I just hit a c/s/t/bw/bt day

and TBH I can't grip the bar on the rack pulls anymore without straps, since I use double over hand grip and dont use under/over due to my biceps' safety.

I got 4 plates x 4 reps without straps and on the fourth rep, the bar was just hanging in my fingers

So I strapped up and got 12 reps easy.

Since I extremely prefer to have some real grip strength, I decided to drop my ez bar reverse curls in my forearm rotation and do a static barbell hold (for time, and I wonder how long is good, maybe the time it would take to get 20 reps straight on a reverse curl?). This is because I will be using straps for my deadlifts now on and I want to still be able to grip heavy weights.

This will also give me my extra traps stimulation that I wanted since I wasn't really liking the barbell hack squats. I think i ultimately still prefer a deep knee bend type of lift for maximum quad stimulus, so I will go back to the hack machine for my quads rotation instead of the barbell hacks.
                Last edited by andishehhank; 02-04-2018, 01:46 AM.

Comment

You have to work with what you have. If you hit 18-19 reps and are feeling aggressive as fuck next time around, you will be OK if you add more weight. You might even do 20+ reps with the added weight (happens to me, sometimes.)

But if you don't seem to believe you can get away with it, stick to the same weight and just go for more reps.

We don't have to add weight every time, this is not just about numbers to lift more. If we can still squeeze out of our current working weight for some more gains, then that's the ideal thing to do. its all about beating the log book. going from 15 RP to 30 RP is good fucking progress as well, and you are likely to avoid injuries that way. But we all have to set the line somewhere as when to add weight. But don't worry about it, if you feel like you should still use the same weight and go for 20+ reps next time, then you are still going to grow.

these are all different situations. you gotta be ready to make these decisions workout to workout.
                  Yeah, that's true but I might be a bit more flexible with adding weight when I get close to the top of the range. Because I do have some strenght goals that I am looking to break.

Comment

Alright dude, so I just hit a c/s/t/bw/bt day

and TBH I can't grip the bar on the rack pulls anymore without straps, since I use double over hand grip and dont use under/over due to my biceps' safety.

I got 4 plates x 4 reps without straps and on the fourth rep, the bar was just hanging in my fingers

So I strapped up and got 12 reps easy.

Since I extremely prefer to have some real grip strength, I decided to drop my ez bar reverse curls in my forearm rotation and do a static barbell hold (for time, and I wonder how long is good, maybe the time it would take to get 20 reps straight on a reverse curl?). This is because I will be using straps for my deadlifts now on and I want to still be able to grip heavy weights.

This will also give me my extra traps stimulation that I wanted since I wasn't really liking the barbell hack squats. I think i ultimately still prefer a deep knee bend type of lift for maximum quad stimulus, so I will go back to the hack machine for my quads rotation instead of the barbell hacks.

I prefer the double overhand myself for the same reason. But hey 4 plates for 4 isn't bad without straps. That's a cool idea, I've read a few threads on doing static holds on here. I haven't thought much about it but if I would do them I think I'd do it that way. Set a time close to how long it woulöd take to do 20 reps and then beat that... I got a really bad grip myself so if it works please let me know cause I gotta get it stronger. I try and do all my warmups without straps for rows, deads everything that uses grip strength and then strap up for the working set.

Really what happened to the barbell hacks? Was it not a suitable exercise for DC?

Comment

I prefer the double overhand myself for the same reason. But hey 4 plates for 4 isn't bad without straps. That's a cool idea, I've read a few threads on doing static holds on here. I haven't thought much about it but if I would do them I think I'd do it that way. Set a time close to how long it woulöd take to do 20 reps and then beat that... I got a really bad grip myself so if it works please let me know cause I gotta get it stronger. I try and do all my warmups without straps for rows, deads everything that uses grip strength and then strap up for the working set.

Really what happened to the barbell hacks? Was it not a suitable exercise for DC?
                      it is suitable for D.C... but I don't think it will take me to me goals as fast as I wanted. With this exercise your hips don't even break parallel and I think that is very important for getting those really standout quads (my quads SUCK).

Comment

it is suitable for D.C... but I don't think it will take me to me goals as fast as I wanted. With this exercise your hips don't even break parallel and I think that is very important for getting those really standout quads (my quads SUCK).
                        Ah ok then I get it. Yeah maybe normal hacks are better for that purpose. Maybe even some sissy hacks like what Tom Platz used to do ?

Comment

Ah ok then I get it. Yeah maybe normal hacks are better for that purpose. Maybe even some sissy hacks like what Tom Platz used to do ?
                          I don't like sissy style at all. You can't go too heavy or you can hurt your knees. Try using the search function here to see. (Sorry I'm getting ready for something right now)

Comment

In fact, I remember Vince Gironda advocating sissy squats and stuff... and he was explaining how he didn't like those big meaty quads... and I'm not that old school, I like the big, meaty look, with big glutes and hamstrings... so I will be hitting the classic squatting movements.

I'll be doing the hack machine, front squats, back squats, and for my hamstrings I'll be doing low bar squats, SLDLs, and the sumo leg press. So my quads are getting 2 extra overlapping exercises, and I am still getting traps work from the SLDLs.

I know I sounded like a real outside thinker with the barbell hack squat theory but I am not sure if they are actually as good as a deep knee bend squat, and I already know squatting movements are very effective. I'll be working on the quads for sure, HP.

If you were liking the idea of more traps work, then you can do the barbell static hold as well. Just load up a rack pull with a good weight, and deadlift it up and hold it there for as long as possible (30-60 sec). There is your forearm workout and a secondary traps/back thickness workout.

Comment

I don't like sissy style at all. You can't go too heavy or you can hurt your knees. Try using the search function here to see. (Sorry I'm getting ready for something right now)
                              Agreed 100%.
                              I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids or any illegal drug, any information discussed is for educational purposes only.

"Every goal has a price if you are willing to pay it"

Comment

Originally posted by bigp3 View Post
                                Agreed 100%.
                                I'd just now rather say "you can't go ideally heavy" instead of "too heavy."

We never want to go too heavy.

Comment

Working...
                                X