Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to journal work outs?

Hello
    Can people please give suggestions and advice on how to write up/journal the workouts. 2 day split will suffice.

I've give this some thought, and see David Henry with his A6 joural book, and thought "yep, that looks like the way to do it". Looked everywhere in the UK, online, and no-where had them. Then was in a cheapo store "wilkinsons", and come across them. So bought a bundle. But still unsure how to journal this stuff due to the many different workouts, 6 different workouts.

Thanks in advance.

I don't do a two way split but a three. Maybe what I do will still work for you.

On paper my workout will look like this:

Incline Barbell Press (11-15) (8,3,[email protected]) 9,4,[email protected]
    Pec dec ([email protected]). [email protected]
    (Stretch)

HS Shoulder P. (15-20)(9,5,[email protected]). 10,5,[email protected]
    Standing Side Laterals ([email protected]). [email protected]
    (Stretch)

Tricep Pushdowns (20-25) (13,7,[email protected]). 12,7,[email protected]
    (Stretch)

That's exactly how mine looks on paper for Pressing Day (A). I put the first numbers in parenthesis every time I write it down to show what I did last time I did that day and the numbers outside of parenthesis are what I did on that workout. I put down what I did last time on every workout so I can clearly see what I have to beat without flipping pages in a basic spiral notebook.

I leave room on each page for all 3 of my pressing day workouts (A,B,C) and then flip the page to write down the same 3 workouts. I buy notebooks with different sections so I split up my Pressing, my Pulling, and my Leg days.

Does that help? When I get home tonight I can post pics.

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
    *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
    •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
    *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

Collabera

If you could post a picture, that'd be great. I think i've understood from your description, but a picture will make it easier to understand fully. Thanks for describing, appreciate it.

Comment

When I set up a blast I will write it out so I know what I'm doing up front
        And make sure I'm not overlapping shit and my moves are working with exercises that are bringing up my body with what it needs, stuff I enjoy and am good at doing, and things that don't fuck me up lol

I jus use the notepad on my iPhone (more on why shortly)
        Because most people got there's with there music on anyway

I simply will write the workout for the day

Like this

Incline smythe
        255 7-4-2 + static

Pec stretch on pec dec 90 sec at 120

Dumbbell overhead press
        70 11-6-3

Cable stretch for shoulder 50 lbs 75 sec

Dip machine 2pps + 25
        15-8-6 + static

Overhead stretch with cable 40 lbs 60 sec

Rack chins
        Bw + 50 lbs 10-5-5 + 17 partials

Rack deads
        505 6 and 405 11

Hanging stretch 70 sec

I put that in my phone on my notepad
        I do it that way the first time on any of my bodyparts for every rotation
        Then I can Have a note page for each set of my blast (one page for chest rotation, one page for back, one page for legs)
        I pull that page up when the cycle repeats and I think about what I want to accomplish
        I ask myself these questions
        1.How hard or easy was the set last time?
        2. How do I feel today
        3. Based on the first 2 questions should I increase wt? Or go for more reps?
        4. Based on number 3 I will put a projected work set wt down
        5. I kill the set with all this info and log it like this

Incline smythe press
        LT 255 7-4-2
        TT 255 8-4-3

Stretch on pec dec 60 sec at 130

Dumbbell over head press
        Lt 70 11-6-3
        TT 70 12-6-4

Shoulder stretch with cable 60 sec at 50 lbs

Hammer Dip machine
        LT 2pps+ 25 15-8-6 + static
        TT 3 pps 12-7-5 + static

Overhead Stretch with rope 70 seconds at 40 lbs

Rack chins
        LT Bw + 50 lbs 10-5-5 + 17 partials
        TT BW + 50 lbs 11-6-4 + 14 partials

Rack deadlift
        LT 505 6 and 405 for 11
        TT 505 8 and 405 for 13

Hanging stretch 75 seconds

Now I have a running list on my phone to copy paste to journals, email myself to organize in folders and dates on my blast, and I can have a list of what happened with the blast to formulate new ones that are more efficient

It gives u data that let's u learn
        1. Did I progress well in strength on this movement
        2. Did my size increase

These two will tell u things like did I see great gains when I used say, a reverse grip bench press a skull krusher and a dip in size...but when I Did my next blast I removed dips for pushdowns and went stale on my size gains...

As well as did I get strong as hell on barbell curls, standing dumbbell curls and drag curls in the smythe rack but my biceps didn't increase much... So u drop one and add maybe a preacher curl with a straight bar and boom u start growing a little... Stuff like that will tell u man maybe I should try 2 bicep ecercises that focus on the stretch position and take my shoulders more out of the movement... So say the next blast u keep dummbell alternates and preacher curls and add incline curls and your biceps take off...
        DC_catholic315
        Light-heavyweight Member
        Last edited by DC_catholic315; 09-12-2015, 05:58 AM.
        I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
        I too like to live dangerously

Comment

This is the first page of my journal. The next page will show the same A, B, and C workouts in the same order except it will show in parenthesis what I did the page before on those movements.

You will notice some things are modified for myself and not true DC.
          Attached Files

*2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
          *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Collabera View Post
            This is the first page of my journal. The next page will show the same A, B, and C workouts in the same order except it will show in parenthesis what I did the page before on those movements.

You will notice some things are modified for myself and not true DC.
            There is no date in your journal? Don't you archive your logs?

Comment

Originally posted by Rampage View Post
              There is no date in your journal? Don't you archive your logs?
              Date is on the left side of page written vertically. Just can't see it in the pic. Realistically though I don't care about the date. I just care about progress and watching the numbers change.

Comment

Collabera

Thanks for the picture, I haven't got to try to imagine how you described.

DC Catholic

Thank you for such a detailed post. I haven't read it properly yet. Just thought I'd say thank you.

Comment

Collabera

I've just studied the picture and thought "there's some missing, the previous in brackets".
                  Any chance you'd upload a picture of the following workout sheet showing with the numbers in brackets please.

Thanks

Comment

Dc Catholic

Right, just managed to take in your post, had a large coffee.
                    Great post, oviously a very clever way to do it digitally. Gone give me something to think about. I really don't do anything much with my smart phone. I'll have to play around with my phone to figure out the nuances of making that work. The fact that you said you can email the note across, and then digitally file it, is clever.

I think I'd have to start with something like Collaberas version with the good ol pen and paper, until I know what I'm doing and got it down. Then maybe switch to digital.
                    Cool post, thanks for the time it took.

Comment

Hey man I understand!!
                      I started out with a small hard cover notebook as well....

I jus got tired of getting sweat all over it and it smearing the numbers and such

And my hand writing is prolly worse than my 2 year olds lol

I would def do it the way callobera describes if I were to do a log book again

I jus did one per page and it was a lot of flipping back and forth lol
                      DC_catholic315
                      Light-heavyweight Member
                      Last edited by DC_catholic315; 09-12-2015, 11:08 AM.
                      I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
                      I too like to live dangerously

Comment

I know writing this stuff up aint rocket science, but I thought I'd ask. The description you just gave with the not quite got it right, the flipping of pages etc...the fact that there's 6 different workouts within an A/B protocol, upon giving it some thought, it was baffling me.

Luckily, you guys give me some good advice.

Comment

DC Catholic

Please could you unravel the mystery I can't figure out. The abbreviations you used. LT and TT the prefixes you use before the numbers.

Ta.

Comment

Originally posted by ChubChub View Post
                            DC Catholic

Please could you unravel the mystery I can't figure out. The abbreviations you used. LT and TT the prefixes you use before the numbers.

Ta.
                            Last time

This time

Comment

Kag

Cheers. buggered if I could figure it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X