Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dedicated Grip Work

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dedicated Grip Work

    Hey everyone. I'm new to this site and have never really followed DC training although I've read everything out there. I have a question for everyone... I have been working on grip work recently. The idea is to close the number 3 COC gripper, bend nails and horseshoes...that kind of stuff. Anyway, would adding this kind of training, would it be a good idea to replace the forearm work with my grip training or have it on a different day altogether or something different?

    Also,and forgive my ignorance, but I read somewhere that it has been suggested that while doing DC and training alone, that one should do the normal DC "set" followed by reducing the weight to around 50% and doing another rest/pause set. Anyone ever hear of this?

  • #2
    To answer the first question, if it was me, I would choose one or the other. Meaning either DC forearm work or the other thing you are doing. I would be worried about doing too much forearm work and end up with wrist and elbow issues related to carpel tunnel or something. But this is just me. Right now I personally don't do any direct forearm work. I just rely as little as possible on wraps or straps or hooks and my forearms are torched on my back days.


    I have not heard of the second thing. I train mostly alone because of how quick I can get my DC workout done which is part of the point. Only thing I have heard of and most know this is to rely on the smith machine or hammer strength equipment when training alone because of the safety. I would never reduce the weight.

    True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
    *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
    •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
    *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

    Comment


    • #3
      My forearms are pretty good, I've done tons of direct work. Did I need to? Probably not. As far as the top goes, do plenty of hammer curls, and/or alternate dumbell curls with the bottom and middle, in a hammer position.
      As far as the bottom of the forearm, I've done tons of direct work also, I use straps for back work. Do plenty of straight bar curls and I think you will cover this. The back will NEVER be hit as hard as it could without wrist straps. That's my input, do with it what you will...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by doug1 View Post
        My forearms are pretty good, I've done tons of direct work. Did I need to? Probably not. As far as the top goes, do plenty of hammer curls, and/or alternate dumbell curls with the bottom and middle, in a hammer position.
        As far as the bottom of the forearm, I've done tons of direct work also, I use straps for back work. Do plenty of straight bar curls and I think you will cover this. The back will NEVER be hit as hard as it could without wrist straps. That's my input, do with it what you will...
        Agreed but I utilize the grip assistance like straps or versa grips when I get further along in my blast and struggle to beat my log book. There is something to be said about the muscle activation that takes place when holding a weight with your hands versus grip assistance when it comes to the working muscle.

        True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
        *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
        •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
        *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Collabera View Post
          Agreed but I utilize the grip assistance like straps or versa grips when I get further along in my blast and struggle to beat my log book. There is something to be said about the muscle activation that takes place when holding a weight with your hands versus grip assistance when it comes to the working muscle.
          True brother, depends where you are in the journey. Straps came way late in my days.

          Good post.

          Comment


          • #6
            any good suggestions for like finger grip strength without straps and all that? heard just doing farmers walks for as long as possible helps

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by frowsley View Post
              any good suggestions for like finger grip strength without straps and all that? heard just doing farmers walks for as long as possible helps
              After your final working sets on back width and back thickness, use whatever weight you have it set on and just do a static hold to failure (without straps). Try to beat the logbook on time/weight just like you would on reps/weight for a normal exercise, but don't go under 60 seconds of holding.
              Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
              kind of a douche

              Comment


              • #8
                I've had an old guy tell me to wrap a towel around a pull up bar, and just hang from it target for a minute.

                The towel has enough give you have to really squeeze to stay up there. Normal, mixed, or hook grip. Whichever you want to work on. Hang from a smith machine with assistance to start with if needed. NO monkey grip, just hanging from your fingers avoided at all costs.

                Suppose you could work it in between sets of calves or abs. Or other ancillary sets.

                Comment


                • #9
                  meadows talked about a grip tool that you have to actively squeeze on the bar to keep it on there so its probably more beneficial than the fat gripz and such

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X