triceps mass builders selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• triceps mass builders selection

I have finished my 3rd blast and before I start I new one I have been researching and found a lot of tricep exercises i would like to try since I reached my max on regular skullcrushers and dips (will change them because as the weight became heavy it started to bother my shoulders)...

I already have close grip bench press and would like to try:

-smith seated half press
    -smith reverse grip bench press (I recently found a topic in which dante said these add incredible amount of mass overtime)
    -smith rack lockouts
    -decline skullcrushers (these would be my last choice due to weight progression)

I would choose seated half press over rack lockouts because they would involve shoulders more than chest (I found my chest is an easy gainer compared to other bodyparts, except for quads that seem to respond fairly easy)

opinions on those exercises and eventually rep ranges RP?

Decline skullcrushers aren't a bad choice.

Have you considered overhead/behind the head DB extensions? You can also do these with a cable/rope overhead. I prefer seated with back support. I think if there is any move that's added size to the long head of my triceps it's these. This move gets the biggest stretch on the long head from both insertions.

This move would be a new angle and you can go pretty heavy with them. My rep range for these are typically 20-25.

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
    *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
    •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
    *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

Reverse grip bench ruined my wrists for a good 2 years. I needed injections and RSI treatment. They also did the same to another friend so be careful.

I would say to me the gain was not worth the associated problems.

Skip's Incline skull crushes really advanced my triceps along.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=Jc0hrBrjKVs
      "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
      Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
      'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
      ~William Bernbach

Comment

been kinda busy lately... tried reverse grip bench press just to see how it felt and it kinda felt unconfortable plus didnt felt al all in the triceps. did seated half press in the smith and liked the overload on the triceps, probably will add this in 2 weeks when my next blast will start. for the other exercise i will try probably skip's incline skullcrushers since i would probably progress more than db overhead extensions.

question... i did the seated half press with bench set like a smith front press... anyone used incline bench or other position?? how did it felt?

Comment

What about JM Presses? It's generally used by powerlifters. Check it out on youtube. Look for videos from JM Blakely.

Comment

I think it would be difficult to make progression with a JM press. I've had them in my DC workouts before and as you begin to get close to failure there is too much room for compensation and breaking form.

*2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
            *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Collabera View Post
              I think it would be difficult to make progression with a JM press. I've had them in my DC workouts before and as you begin to get close to failure there is too much room for compensation and breaking form.
              Agreed. JM Presses are great for strength and improving bench explosiveness and lockout, but I don't think they would fit in with DC very well.
              Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
              kind of a douche

Comment

The only "pressing" movement that I felt even remotely hit the tris, is dips. With legs stuck out on something in front of me. Gotta really lean back. Dips, otherwise are almost all chest.

In my book, the absolute overall tri movement, is lying on the bench, z bar extensions. It's hard on the elbows, so don't go too heavy. Rest pause it with moderate weight, go for as much pain as you can tolerate.

Decline bench extensions are best, if you have that available.
                Last edited by doug1; 09-08-2015, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                  Agreed. JM Presses are great for strength and improving bench explosiveness and lockout, but I don't think they would fit in with DC very well.

I think they fit in just fine. It is a very powerful movement, once the setup is understood, weight will follow.

An incredible movement for both strength and size in the tricep💪🏼. It does not involve SHOULDERS, what more could u want.

Casca

The Green Machine

Comment

Pjr pullovers
                    DESTROY MY TRICEPS

My top 6 choices no particular order
                    Pjr pullovers
                    Reverse grip smythe
                    Hammer Dip machine
                    Dips with wt
                    french presses with rope (elbow health)
                    Deadstop skulls
                    I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
                    I too like to live dangerously

Comment

This conversation, or one very much like it has taken place before. Instead of just pasting the link to the thread I will quote the most important stuff from it and at to this one as of the discussion is different.

Here is a quote from LearningDC (my trainer since I was 12):

"This is VERY important. "Feeling" something isn't important at all. Again..."feeling" is NOT important. What IS important is if you can progress big time on it. How is your progress with the the skull crushers and the reverse grip benches? The biggest mass builders are usually the hardest to "feel" in a particular muscle. Where do you "feel" deadlifts? How about squats? Heavy military presses? What you concentrate on is doing better than you did the time before. Simple."

Homonunclulus had a reply to this comment later down the thread:

"---LDC's comment and the very valid one that you need to be able to progress on an exercise in DC could be the best advice for someone even who is not highly advanced b/c along the way, they will figure out the exercise, learn to recruit more muscle mass and the nature / mechanics of the movement will then dictate that the target muscle IS activated, because is simply has to be to do the exercise with the heavy loads the person is lifting. I just would not go so far as to say that progression is all that's important and that feeling the muscle is not (meaning it's never, under any circumstances, important)."

here is a comment from myself on the subject:

"The biggest mass builders you will not really feel on a particular muscle simply because so many are worked at one time in varying portions of the movement. How many guys benching 405 for reps have average triceps? Not many. They all have big ass triceps. How many guys do you see with big triceps from doing skullcrushers with 25s to 45s on the EZ bar? Not much. If they do, it wasn't from skullcrushers or pushdowns or overhead extensions. Would you tell someone to do leg extensions first if they want to build big round quads? No, you tell them to squat. "

"I am not saying you can't do these smaller movements but they should never take priority over big compound movements. Don't focus on doing the movement in a way that makes you "feel" the muscle. Do an exercise that allows you to do the heaviest weight and allows you to progress. Example, you will progress more doing close grip bench press than you will on overhead tricep extensions"

Comment

I think the key to building mass on a certain body part (tris in this case) lays not with a few special secret exercises for that body part, but how you set up the entire day.

For example:

If I'm doing...

A1
                        Flat DB Bench 12-20RP
                        Klokov Press 15-30RP
                        Dips 12-20RP
                        Pulldowns 15-30RP
                        Deadlifts...

B1
                        Incline 12-20RP
                        Upright Row 20-30RP
                        Inhuman Press 12-20RP
                        Pull-Ups 15-30RP
                        T-Bar Rows...

C1
                        Hammer Press 12-20RP
                        Smith Press 15-20RP
                        Pushdowns 15-30RP
                        MTS Pulldown 15-30RP
                        Block Pulls...

...and I wanted to bring up my tris, I'd change my exercise selection so it looked like this:

A1
                        Paused Bench Press 12-20RP
                        Behind the Neck Push Press w/ closer grip 11-15RP
                        JM Press 2x12-20 straight setted
                        DB Pullover 2x12-20 straight setted
                        Deads...

B1
                        Paused Incline 11-15RP
                        Pin Press 11-15RP
                        Inhuman Press, 15-30RP
                        Close-Grip Pulldown to sternum 12-20RP
                        Rows...

C1
                        Close-Grip Incline 12-20RP
                        Seated DB Press 15-30RP
                        PJR Pullover 15-30RP
                        Standing Cable Pullover 15-30RP
                        Block Pulls...

Notice I'd be getting triceps stimuli on every single exercise except back thickness.

I really think there are no secret exercises out there that yield more growth than others. To me an exercise's worth should be measured on two factors alone a)Does it hit the intended muscle? b) Does it hurt and can you keep doing it for x amount of time? Then variation comes in just so you don't do the same shit over and over again, and the rest is just figuring out volume, intensity and how much weight to add next time.

But then again I think like a powerlifter nowadays...
                        "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Delta is the inhuman press the elbow flared close grip smythe with ass off the bench?
                          Or something different

Also props on that blast configuration
                          That's awesome information and it def helped me to configure future blast
                          There's a lot of exercises in there that got my wheels turning :-)
                          I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
                          I too like to live dangerously

Comment

No prob man, glad to help!

While I never actually read anything about the Inhuman Press here on IM (I actually got it from a poster on TNation), it's been credit to Inhuman from this board.

It's a smith machine close-grip press. I don't exactly remember if it's done with the elbows flared or tucked, but you lay on the bench like on a regular bench press. The catch is that you are supposed to try your hardest to press the weight back instead of up, as if you wanna rack the smith bar on an invisible peg behind the smith. It works on both angled smiths and straight ones, on the angled one you don't have to try so hard to press the weight back up.

I'm on my phone atm and I'll get to my computer in a few minutes so I'll research Inhuman's posts here looking for a more accurate description.
                            "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Disclaimer:

I know I put Paused Bench Press in the model blast above, I was gonna go back and fix it, but I think we all know what exercises/movements work for our biomechanics. Flat benching is awesome for me, I've injured my chest more times on Incline/Decline/Dips/Machines than on the Flat Bench. But for those who are reading this and want to run this model of blast I wrote up above, stick to what Dante says, replace Paused Benches with Paused Incline/Decline.

Comment

Working...
                              X