smith rack deads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smith rack deads

Ive been doing DC since january but my gym actually doesnt have a power rack and I really want to implement some rack deads... ive been trying to do them with the bar on the bench at knee level but doesnt feel natural so ive seen people doing them on the smith and was thinking about doing them that way. any suggestion?

I did them the other day when I couldn't get a power cage. They felt awful for me. Incredibly awkward, and I didn't feel like I was doing anything other than screwing with my spine.
    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
    kind of a douche

Comment

I'm with Sammich on this one. I've only tried it a couple of times, and they felt awful to me.
      My intro thread: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=49855

Comment

that was what i was thinking... what would be a good alternative for doing rack deads without a power rack??

Comment

Originally posted by xmaurohcx View Post
          that was what i was thinking... what would be a good alternative for doing rack deads without a power rack??
          Does your gym have any kind of boxes you could elevate the BB with?
          If not, maybe you could try deadlifting normally but just reversing the movement when you got just below your knees, like a Dimel deadlift but with more of a bent knee.
          Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
          kind of a douche

Comment

No power rack?? Leave Planet Fitness, and go to a REAL gym! ;-)
            "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

Comment

Plane of travel would feel really weird I would think. Can you just stack some 45's to rest the bb on?
              2014 KC All Star Championships 5th novice mw
              2015 KC All Star Championships 3rd open mw, 3rd masters 40+
              2016 Branch Warren 1st masters 40+, 3rd open mw

Comment

I used the Aerobic steps to build the height I needed for the rack deads
                SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

I actually like smith partial deads a good bit, but they definitely have a different feel than barbell rack deads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF0RySztb18

[YOUTUBE]dF0RySztb18[/YOUTUBE]

-S
                  The Book Has Arrived!
                  The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                  2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                  2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

I ended up using some boards people use for crossfit, they were a couple inches below the knees but felt great... the only downside was that i didnt had too much space in between the boxes but managed to do them with some fixes of the boxes.
                    honestly if i had watched homonunculus doing them in the smith before the session i would had end up doing them that way, great vid man.

also no planet fitness here in venezuela, just regular gyms haha this im in is one of the "best"... when ill be back to italy it will be another story haha

Comment

I've done them before on a smith. I simply just controlled the shit out of the negative and really focused on squeezing at the top. I prefer the barbell, but in a pinch, the smith works fine for me.
                      Its not the size of the hammer, its the size of the man holding the hammer.

Comment

I had a buddy who had awful problems with his back he really avoided deadlifts and squats but the truth was he had postural issues due to weakness
                        And he trained at a gym called atc fitness
                        He only had a squat rack (no way to put it down to do deads it was like a shrug lol)
                        I researched the rack dead thing a lot on a smythe and came across this post because I wanted to help him and train with him but didn't want to jump into floor deadlifts with him off the bat (he was hesitant)

"Sorry but I am going to disaggree with all of you, Smythe Racks are awesome and they will take your Hams out of the equation, bend your knees a bit so your shins are touching the bar, feet a tiny bit wider than shoulder width apart and make sure you have the bar about 2-3" below your knee by standing on two 2x12s or a aerobic step and lean over the bar before you begin to pull, wait til you see how much weight you have to drop since you cannot use your Hams or Legs to pull the weight up..."

From inhuman and this one ....

Since you have the bar below knee level and since the bar has no where to travel except up then you can only use your back, see too many lifters use thier Hams to get under that bar to get it up especially at the beginning of the rep and you must keep balance as well in the cage, well on the Smythe no balance is needed but to pull up that weight using your whole entire back...

My buddy actually beat these to death and strengthened his posterior chain and has little to no back pain... He attributes these to helping correct his posterior chain weakness
                        He has a desk job and had a lot of tightness and postural issues

I trained with him for 3 or 4 months cause the gym was like 15 bucks a month and he's my homeboy
                        The first time I did these I got that same recollection he's talking about about the Hams getting in and I was fucking thrashed from trap to ass

Here's the thread if anyone is interested
                        http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=12554

I also saw that video of Scott on one of those old isom threads and wanted to rack that bastard out like that!! I thought it was badass and we hit the green light on this move

If also helps if the smythe has stops instead of those ramps that auto rack the bar as some do...
                        I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
                        I too like to live dangerously

Comment

Smythe machine rack deads, from the knee, pulling to your waist with a "shrug" (Dante wrote about this) are awesome.

And yes, I wrote "Smythe", fuck y'all.
                          "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Originally posted by xmaurohcx View Post
                            Ive been doing DC since january but my gym actually doesnt have a power rack and I really want to implement some rack deads... ive been trying to do them with the bar on the bench at knee level but doesnt feel natural so ive seen people doing them on the smith and was thinking about doing them that way. any suggestion?
                            Sheet, I got a power rack on my back porch. That is the most versatile thing I bought. Any gym that doesn't have a power rack must be called into question...? But, if you're single, I understand your gym selection...:yippee:

Comment

Working...
                            X