Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would like suggestions for quad exercises

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Would like suggestions for quad exercises

    First time posting a thread, the people on this forum seem to be pretty helpful and creative so here's what I'm looking for:
    Quad exercises, preferably unilateral free weight movements. I'm doing leg press and lunges currently. I can't do bilateral squats or bilateral variations of them.

  • #2
    First question, why? What prevents you from doing such movements?
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

    Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

    2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

    Comment


    • #3
      Lost my left leg when I was a kid. I can and actively do deadlifts, RDLs etc. But squat variations screw with my knee and back because I can't come anywhere close to equally distributing the weight when it's sitting on top of me. Form collapses after I drop about 8 inches down into the movement.

      Comment


      • #4
        Bulgarian Split Squats
        Machine Split Squats
        Step-ups
        Variations on leg press or squat machine (e.g. position yourself somewhat sideways as seen below, jump to 6:35)
        Single leg sissy squats

        [YOUTUBE]jqAzvbf_ju0[/YOUTUBE]


        2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
        2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
        2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
        2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
        2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight


        Comment


        • #5
          That helps a lot, I appreciate the suggestions.

          Comment


          • #6
            How about pistols (single leg squats) standing next to a rack for support and balance wearing a weighted vest? I actually do these once every 4 weeks or so with different foot placement to hit different parts of the quad/ham/adductor/glute with a 60lb vest for reps in the 15-20 range.

            Comment


            • #7
              Damn man.... glad you are making the most of it though. Can you do any smith variations?

              I also like leg presses laying on your side. You can use the leg press machine and do several variants of leg presses with different foot positioning.

              Moco nailed most of the things that I can think of...
              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

              Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

              2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
              2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
              2015 Beat Cancer!

              Comment


              • #8
                I used to do pistols with a barbell but I stopped because as the weight got heavier I realized one false move and my last good knee is toast and I dont have any real way of saving myself.

                As far as smith, it doesn't make much of a difference compared to the free weight variations. Just my personal bio-mechanics I guess. I'm going to rotate in the split/sissy squats. I won't be able to die happy until I can do some sort of squat with 3 plates lol.

                Any suggestion on foot placement for the outer quad? I typically only feel leg presses in my inner quad.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jmes731 View Post
                  I used to do pistols with a barbell but I stopped because as the weight got heavier I realized one false move and my last good knee is toast and I dont have any real way of saving myself.

                  As far as smith, it doesn't make much of a difference compared to the free weight variations. Just my personal bio-mechanics I guess. I'm going to rotate in the split/sissy squats. I won't be able to die happy until I can do some sort of squat with 3 plates lol.

                  Any suggestion on foot placement for the outer quad? I typically only feel leg presses in my inner quad.

                  Try shifting your leg down and towards the center of your body. That hits the sweep best for me at least
                  Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

                  Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

                  2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                  2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                  2015 Beat Cancer!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I recommend step-ups with a barbell.

                    Use a plyo box, knee height if it doesn't bother your knees.
                    "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

                    "Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

                    “Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

                    The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Do you guys think unilateral leg exercises should be straight sets? I wonder if they aren't conducive to rest pause or 20 rep widowmakers.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by calamari88 View Post
                        Do you guys think unilateral leg exercises should be straight sets? I wonder if they aren't conducive to rest pause or 20 rep widowmakers.
                        Personally, I don't do straight sets with a unilateral leg exercise. I do a rest pause and start with my weaker side and instead of going for as many as I can on my stronger side, I just match what my weaker side did so that the weak side can catch up. Balance!

                        Sometimes instead of leg extensions for a widowmaker, I do them unilateral and again start with my weak side and match it with my strong side.

                        If you have one leg like the original poster, that's not really an option but it still works for upper body.

                        True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
                        *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
                        •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
                        *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Collabera View Post
                          Personally, I don't do straight sets with a unilateral leg exercise. I do a rest pause and start with my weaker side and instead of going for as many as I can on my stronger side, I just match what my weaker side did so that the weak side can catch up. Balance!

                          Sometimes instead of leg extensions for a widowmaker, I do them unilateral and again start with my weak side and match it with my strong side.

                          If you have one leg like the original poster, that's not really an option but it still works for upper body.
                          Thanks Collabera, good tip to match the weaker side! Have you tried rest-pausing a bulgarian split squat?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by calamari88 View Post
                            Thanks Collabera, good tip to match the weaker side! Have you tried rest-pausing a bulgarian split squat?
                            I think it was Skip who told me that trick. So give him the credit. I had acl surgery and needed a way to bring up my left leg from the atrophy and that's where the idea came from.

                            Actually, I didn't even know what the name of that move was until I just looked at it on YouTube. I've only done those a few times and it was when I was a fat 8th grader. For me, doing a rest pause with those would require me to have the same bench everytime and make sure my feet are spread the same everytime I do the exercise. For example the distance my front foot is from the bench. Otherwise the variables change and it can be hard to track progress. One fall back I see is the degree of compensation to do more reps or weights. So you're not actually getting stronger but getting better at moving from point A to B.

                            With all that said, I don't know. I've never tried it for rest pause but I am going too.

                            True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
                            *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
                            •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
                            *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Collabera View Post
                              I think it was Skip who told me that trick. So give him the credit. I had acl surgery and needed a way to bring up my left leg from the atrophy and that's where the idea came from.

                              Actually, I didn't even know what the name of that move was until I just looked at it on YouTube. I've only done those a few times and it was when I was a fat 8th grader. For me, doing a rest pause with those would require me to have the same bench everytime and make sure my feet are spread the same everytime I do the exercise. For example the distance my front foot is from the bench. Otherwise the variables change and it can be hard to track progress. One fall back I see is the degree of compensation to do more reps or weights. So you're not actually getting stronger but getting better at moving from point A to B.

                              With all that said, I don't know. I've never tried it for rest pause but I am going too.
                              Oh man, I hope your surgery and recovery was a success. Good points about the consistency with bulgarian split squats. I'm not sure what to do about that.

                              For me, bulgarian split squats are fairly torturous, but I'm incorporating them because they are supposed to be good for helping with posture and hip mobility which I need.

                              From what I've heard once you get the skill of the movement down and it's not as awkward and then the poundage progression goes up pretty fast. I have a feeling straight sets are the way to go because of the awkwardness of the movement.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X