No announcement yet.

feedback on my DC routine and progress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feedback on my DC routine and progress?

This was me at around August 2013. About a month or two before i started DC. In this pic i weighed 164 at 5'5" im 27 years old.

Im doing the 3 day split schedule at 8 week blasts with 2 week cruises. Sometimes insert an ab day during one of the rest days. Usually about every other week. My cruises usually are very light higher rep single set exercises. I just experiment with different things and do about 20 reps. My blast sets start with one warm up set at about 40-50% of the working set weight im about to do. I end the working set with a TUT rep and then DC stretches. Some samples of my routine are as follows:
    Week 1
    A DAY
    db flat bench: 90's
    Hammerstrength shoulder press:105each side
    Seat tricep extensions: 140
    Lat pulldowns:160
    Back extensions:two plates in my hands

B DAY
    Machine preacher curls:80
    Fore arm curls:100 bar
    Widowmaker toe ups seated: 60
    Prone leg curl:130
    Leg press:935

A day
    Decline Hammerstrength : 275
    1 arm smith machine shrugs: 170
    Rope push downs: 72.5
    Seated cable rows: 166
    Rack pulls: 350

Week 2

B day

Decline db curls:40
    Reverse fore arm curls: 80
    Rest pause toe ups:150
    Hip abductors(couldnt think of another ham exercise) :305x10
    Squats: 230

A day
    Incline hammer press: 215
    Reverse grip push downs: 82.5
    Seated lateral raises:45
    Pull overs:205
    Deads:280

B day
    Lateral cable curls: 60
    Hammer curls:42.5
    Widowmaker toes:60
    Seated leg curl:145
    Leg extensions :125

These are all for the standard 8,4,2 rest pause set except where indicated.

Im now coming up on the end of my 2nd blast phase. Im about 166 lbs now. I only see a little difference in physique but strength gains are outstanding. More recent pic here:
    uploadfromtaptalk1399610115687.jpg

I eat about 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight. I do Leangains and do about 80-90% of my daily calories immediately following work out. With the other cals just before my workout. I combine leangains with CKD so its nearly all protein and fat. I have an 8 hour skipload on sundays where i mostly eat kids cereal but i still keep my protein up there at 1.5. My daily cals are at about 200-300 cals over maintenance so about 1850 to 1950.

Im really not seeing much size difference and most signs are pointing that my cals are not high enough. So i would like to see what you all think?

P. S. My sups are 5 grams of creatine. 10 grams of bcaa. 3000mg of fish oil. And 4000 iu of d3.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Take whatever I say with a grain of salt, but I'll give my 1/2 cent before some better help comes along:

I think most people will recommend the 2 way for you, or something like Bill Starr's 5x5 program - 166lbs is pretty light by DC standards and the 3 way program is meant for people who have progressed well on the 2-way.

The 3way isn't faster or better, it is a tool used for advanced bodybuilders who are focusing on specific body parts more than just general growth.

Again, take what I say with a grain of salt and I'm sure someone can direct you more properly.

Mods, if I am off base feel free to delete this post and I definitely won't harbour any ill feelings

Comment

Here's a few things that caught my eye:
      (btw, Ducket, it is a 2-way split he has outlined)

Originally posted by Wagz86 View Post
      [ATTACH]46883[/ATTACH]

This was me at around August 2013. About a month or two before i started DC. In this pic i weighed 164 at 5'5" im 27 years old.

Im doing the 3 day split schedule at 8 week blasts with 2 week cruises. Sometimes insert an ab day during one of the rest days. Usually about every other week. My cruises usually are very light higher rep single set exercises. I just experiment with different things and do about 20 reps. My blast sets start with one warm up set at about 40-50% of the working set weight im about to do. I end the working set with a TUT rep and then DC stretches. Some samples of my routine are as follows:
      Week 1
      A DAY
      db flat bench: 90's
      Hammerstrength shoulder press:105each side
      Seat tricep extensions: 140
      Lat pulldowns:160
      Back extensions:two plates in my hands--- Hyperextensions? If so, not a good selection

B DAY
      Machine preacher curls:80
      Fore arm curls:100 bar
      Widowmaker toe ups seated: 60---calf raises?
      Prone leg curl:130
      Leg press:935

A day
      Decline Hammerstrength : 275
      1 arm smith machine shrugs: 170
      Rope push downs: 72.5----there are better exercise choices for shoulders and triceps. Think big, compound exercises whenever possible. The more weight you can use the bigger you will get.

Seated cable rows: 166
      Rack pulls: 350

Week 2

B day

Decline db curls:40---why not Barbell curls?
      Reverse fore arm curls: 80
      Rest pause toe ups:150
      Hip abductors(couldnt think of another ham exercise) :305x10---What about stiff-leg deadlifts with DB or BB...High-wide leg press?
      Squats: 230

A day
      Incline hammer press: 215
      Reverse grip push downs: 82.5
      Seated lateral raises:45---again, look at using better exercises

Pull overs:205----???
      Deads:280

B day
      Lateral cable curls: 60----is there another bicep exercise you can work heavier on?
      Hammer curls:42.5
      Widowmaker toes:60????
      Seated leg curl:145
      Leg extensions :125---compound exercise!!!!

These are all for the standard 8,4,2 rest pause ---there is no "standard, your reps should vary from week to week. Whatever your rep range, say 11-15, you may get 8,4,2 or 10,2,1 or 6,3,2...if you are challenging yourself enough with adding weight your reps will not stay in that nice comfort zone of the same reps every time.--- set except where indicated.

Im now coming up on the end of my 2nd blast phase. Im about 166 lbs now. I only see a little difference in physique but strength gains are outstanding. More recent pic here:
      [ATTACH]46885[/ATTACH]

I eat about 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight. I do Leangains and do about 80-90% of my daily calories immediately following work out. With the other cals just before my workout. I combine leangains with CKD so its nearly all protein and fat. I have an 8 hour skipload on sundays where i mostly eat kids cereal but i still keep my protein up there at 1.5. My daily cals are at about 200-300 cals over maintenance so about 1850 to 1950.

Im really not seeing much size difference and most signs are pointing that my cals are not high enough. So i would like to see what you all think?

P. S. My sups are 5 grams of creatine. 10 grams of bcaa. 3000mg of fish oil. And 4000 iu of d3.

Just a few notes above, but basically you may want too research a bit more and revamp your routine. Too many isolation exercises, look at switching out to compounds where possible. What about leg widowmakers after your main leg exercise?
      The biggest issue I see is that no one ever got big on under 2000 calories a day ! add some carbs in there, just follow a set carb cutoff time so you don' get fat.
      That's just my 10,000 foot overview.
      -KidRok-
      "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
      5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

Good advice from both. Yeah the cals is what im thinking is the primary cause. I used be really fat and i think I have this "afraid to get fat again" syndrome. Compounds has also been something i definitely agree with. With SOME of the exercises my excuse is that i may need a spotter and i dont trust the jokers at my chain gym. I go to la fitness

Comment

KR put it down well. I would also mention that both blasts and cruises are not predetermined in length. The last thing you want to do is yank yourself from a blast that you're currently progressing in. If you're doing DC, you need to know your body well enough to know when to shut down the motors and get back to neutral. You need to be able to look at your log book, assess the stalling points, then determine the cause for the stall. Some days you might have a shitty day of lifting 4 weeks into a blast and have to cruise because all other variables were in line. You might also have a weak performance 6 weeks in but deduce that it was merely the result of diet, a tough day at work, or your girlfriends pomeranian kept you up all night.
          I personally think you would be a perfect candidate for a pure strength oriented routine, like a 5x5. Getting your base numbers up and then taking that progression to a DC routine where you would really take off. If I was in your shoes, that would be my approach if I wanted to add 50 lbs in 2-3 years.
          Either way, good luck to you on your goals and keep us posted on your progress.

Comment

Oh and the power rack is your friend. Or spotter. Or both.

Comment

If you could recommend a 5x5 routine ill certainly look into it. But i must say im very happy with DC my strength continues to increase steadily all around. I just dont see much in the way of size. Some but not much.

Comment

Strong lifts 5x5
                SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Just out of honest curiosity. Whats wrong with my lifts now? I thought my log book was looking good considering my height and weight.

Comment

In my opinion, its not that something is wrong, its that the program is not efficient for you. This may be wayyyy over simplifying it but the way I have always understood it as
                    A: Get your strength up.
                    B: Get your size up.
                    C: Get your weak spots up.

This translates to
                    A: 5x5 or the like
                    B: DC 2 way
                    C: DC 3 way

BigDownUnder posted a classic sticky http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=27376 about being ready to switch to DC.

I dont know your goals and what your trying to achieve, but if its to become the big boy on the block, this is as short a line from A to B I have found. Again, Im not trying to tell you what to do. I still think that the best workout program out there is the one you believe in 100%. And if you feel this is it, so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wagz86 View Post

In this pic i weighed 164 at 5'5" im 27 years old.

Im now coming up on the end of my 2nd blast phase. Im about 166 lbs now. I only see a little difference in physique but strength gains are outstanding.

IMHO, it doesn't matter what program you're doing, which exercises, etc., if you're 166lb, taking in <2000 kcal / day (your maintenance would probably be more like 2400 if you weren't ketogenic and adapted to this low kcal in take) and compressing all your kcal into a 3-4 hr period (aside from a weekend Skipload), it's amazing you've gained anything at all.

You've got a hypo caloric, cyclical ketogenic diet and I'd bet you don't probably get in more than 2000kcal on those Skipload days (?????), either, so you're chronically glycogen depleted. Those carbs are being used for basic energetic processes, not glycogen replenishment, on that day unless you're really eating a ton.

This is a diet issue, IMO, and I'm guessing probably a "carbophobia" and desire to stay really lean / get leaner while gaining muscle.

Where the mind goes, the body follows…and this can manifest in various ways, obvious and some not so obvious. I'd consider your long term plan / goals and see what you're willing to do (gaining weight and possibly fat along the way) and then evaluation your strategy.

-S
                      The Book Has Arrived!
                      The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                      2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                      2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

My carbs are around 2500 on slipload day. Its 2.5 boxes of cereal roughly. I eat other stuff in there too. But that's my bare minimum. Yes I agree im not eating enough. I also agree im scared to gain fat again. Im not an expert by any means. I have done a little research and from what I've read you can gain mass on CKD. What im trying to do right now since my carb intake daily and on skiploads seems fine is to increase total cals with fat. Ive been adding things like salad dressing with my chicken. Or more cheese with my ground beef. Im shooting for about 2500. Thoughts on that?

Comment

[QUOTE=Wagz86;1078074]My carbs are around 2500 on slipload day. Its 2.5 boxes of cereal roughly.[QUOTE]

grams of carbs or kcal from carbs?...

I eat other stuff in there too. But that's my bare minimum. Yes I agree im not eating enough. I also agree im scared to gain fat again. Im not an expert by any means. I have done a little research and from what I've read you can gain mass on CKD.
                          Far from optimal for most guys, especially compressing all your kcal within such a short period of time.

What im trying to do right now since my carb intake daily and on skiploads seems fine is to increase total cals with fat. Ive been adding things like salad dressing with my chicken. Or more cheese with my ground beef. Im shooting for about 2500. Thoughts on that?
                          Good luck!

-S
                          The Book Has Arrived!
                          The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                          2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                          2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Any suggestions as to a better way then?

Comment

Far from a expert but why not stay keto on off days spreading your Protien and healthy fat over 6 meals
                              Add a peri workout shake with carbs and post workout have a Protien/carb meal on training days only
                              Then skipload 4 hours on weekend

See how you respond and adjust from there...
                              At least then you'll be introducing carbs at a time when they are more likely to positively effect your physique...

Could be from liquid in your peri/intra workout shake and post in food form..

Also if I were going to increase my fats I'd use things like
                              Evoo, Mac nut oils, whole eggs, beef, bison, natural nut butters, nuts, coconut oils, avacado, and if I were going to use a cheese maybe cottage cheese... As opposed to things like salad dressing and deli type cheeses... (Jus my .02 so take this with a train of salt)

Edit: I'm not sure if you meant a vinegrette type dressing if you did my bad for being presumptuous...

On a side not how are the changes to your blast looking
                              Last edited by DC_catholic315; 05-13-2014, 04:09 PM.
                              I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
                              I too like to live dangerously

Comment

Working...
                              X