Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Higher rep ranges (15-30)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Higher rep ranges (15-30)

    In a 11- to 15-rep range with three failure points I could distribute the reps something like this: 8+4+2. But when a rep range is 15-30 for i.e. leg curls, do you guys have any good examples of how to distribute those reps with the higher rep ranges? (i.e. 15+7+3?). I will assume it will depend on the exercise but I would appreciate some examples!

  • #2
    You don't "distribute" the reps...you reach failure. Saying you distribute the reps makes it sounds like you just stop... Every RP set needs to be taken to your physical and neurological limit

    My personal goal is to get half of what I did going from RP set to RP set. Doing 20-30RP might look like 13+6+3 or 14+7+4 or something similar. Going 15-20RP might be something like 11+5+2 or 10+4+2 or something along those lines....

    If your reps are almost the same going from RP set to RP set, you are either resting too long or not pushing hard enough.

    If you are ready for DC and doing it properly, the reps should fall into place. In the end, don't worry about what the breakout is, just worry about beating your total reps and/or weight in the logbook.
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

    Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

    2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks mentalflex. I used "distribute" because of a lack of a better term (English is not my mother tongue). I am hitting three failure points during the rep range, with 20 second rest between.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by YoManYo View Post
        Thanks mentalflex. I used "distribute" because of a lack of a better term (English is not my mother tongue). I am hitting three failure points during the rep range, with 20 second rest between.
        No problem.... I'm just looking out for other people that come into the thread and see that and think otherwise. Sounds like you are doing the right thing...

        All the best brother and enjoy your blast...
        Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

        Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

        2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
        2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
        2015 Beat Cancer!

        Comment


        • #5
          From what I have read you just reach failure where ever and then fall into the rep range at the completion of the rest pause

          Comment


          • #6
            What if...

            I was wondering-not for any particular reason, just an FYI for myself; what happens if we increase the rest time on DC training; not by much, just 5 - 10 secs.? What happens if we decrease the rest time by say 5 - 10 secs? Thanks and take care. :ear:

            Life; a helluva thing to happen to someone.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by small&puny View Post
              I was wondering-not for any particular reason, just an FYI for myself; what happens if we increase the rest time on DC training; not by much, just 5 - 10 secs.? What happens if we decrease the rest time by say 5 - 10 secs? Thanks and take care. :ear:
              Well the easy answer is its not dc if you change it. What would happen though? in my opinion it wouldnt make much of a difference. Personally though I think it's more important to be consistent with your rest time so you accurately tell if your progressing on the lift.
              6/22/13 - 2013 NPC VICTORY CLASSIC
              1st - Novice Men's Lightheavy & Novice overall

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by small&puny View Post
                I was wondering-not for any particular reason, just an FYI for myself; what happens if we increase the rest time on DC training; not by much, just 5 - 10 secs.? What happens if we decrease the rest time by say 5 - 10 secs? Thanks and take care. :ear:
                Originally posted by LKQSJH View Post
                Well the easy answer is its not dc if you change it. What would happen though? in my opinion it wouldnt make much of a difference. Personally though I think it's more important to be consistent with your rest time so you accurately tell if your progressing on the lift.
                Yeah if you increased then obviously you'll get an extra rep or two, decreased then lose a rep or two. 15 breaths is just a good "sweet spot" and keeps it consistent where you have enough O2 to grind out more reps, but not so much rest time that you lose intensity/it feels like just another set.

                As LKQSJH stated, it really won't matter as long as it's consistent. For example for back width I don't stay strapped in. I take my breaths then strap up. The act of strapping up adds 5-10 seconds but I'm consistently strapping up anyway so, yeah.
                Max Muscle
                5020 Katella Ave.
                Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  You're right! Consistency. Thanks a million.

                  Life; a helluva thing to happen to someone.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    You might be thinking to much and over complicating things just keep at it:-)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                      You don't "distribute" the reps...you reach failure. Saying you distribute the reps makes it sounds like you just stop... Every RP set needs to be taken to your physical and neurological limit

                      My personal goal is to get half of what I did going from RP set to RP set. Doing 20-30RP might look like 13+6+3 or 14+7+4 or something similar. Going 15-20RP might be something like 11+5+2 or 10+4+2 or something along those lines....

                      If your reps are almost the same going from RP set to RP set, you are either resting too long or not pushing hard enough.

                      If you are ready for DC and doing it properly, the reps should fall into place. In the end, don't worry about what the breakout is, just worry about beating your total reps and/or weight in the logbook.
                      BOLD above. When I was on DC that was also my goal. This really depended on the lift. Example: On weighted pull ups I couldn't get max/half/half. It was more like 11/6/2. I found on the exercises where it was difficult to "cheat" I could not do it. On the movements that allowed for some "body English" I could. Strict Military=nope. Lat pulldowns=Yes.
                      Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X