Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to DC, First Blast - Thoughts?

Cheers, all.

I'm a Forty-Something, many years in the gym.

My first run with DC and am looking for any input I can get on the structure of my first blast. Thanks in advance, here goes...

Muscle 1 Chest Incline Bench Press (15-30rp)
    Muscle 2 Shoulders Military Presses (15-30rp)
    Muscle 3 Triceps Incline Skullcrushers (20-30 rp)
    Muscle 4 BackWidth Under-Hand Grip Chins (15-30rp)
    Muscle 5 BackThickness Trapbar Deadlifts ss (10-15 reps) + (10-15 reps)

Muscle 1 Biceps Preacher BB Curls (15-30rp)
    Muscle 2 Forearms Pinwheel Curls (ss 15-30 reps)
    Muscle 3 Calves Leg Press Toe Press (10-12 reps); 15sec.holds
    Muscle 4 Hamstrings Lying Leg Curls (15-30rp)
    Muscle 5 Quads Free Squats (10-15 rep ss) 3-5 min. rest , (20 rep WM)

Muscle 1 Chest Hammer Strength Decline Press (15-30rp)
    Muscle 2 Shoulders Nautilus Military Press (15-30rp)
    Muscle 3 Triceps Nautilus Dipping Station (15-30rp)
    Muscle 4 BackWidth Wide Grip Pull-Down (15-30rp)
    Muscle 5 BackThickness Nautilus Supported Row (15-30rp)

Muscle 1 Biceps EZ Bar Drag Curls (15-30rp)
    Muscle 2 Forearms Reverse Grip Preacher Curls (ss 15-30 reps)
    Muscle 3 Calves Standing Calves (ss 10-12); 15sec.holds
    Muscle 4 Hamstrings Straight Legged Dead Lifts (15-20 ss)
    Muscle 5 Quads Trapbar Deadlifts ss (10-15 reps) + (10-15 reps)

Muscle 1 Chest Incline DB Presses (15-30rp)
    Muscle 2 Shoulders Leverage Upright Rows (15-30rp)
    Muscle 3 Triceps Close Grip Flat Bench: (15-30 rp)
    Muscle 4 BackWidth Neutral-Grip Chins (11-15rp)
    Muscle 5 BackThickness Rack Deadlifts ss (10-15reps) + (15-30reps)

Muscle 1 Biceps Nautilus Curls (15-30rp)
    Muscle 2 Forearms Reverse Grip Nautilus Curls (ss 15-30)
    Muscle 3 Calves Seated Calf Raises (10-12 reps); 15sec.holds
    Muscle 4 Hamstrings Seated Leg Curls (15-30rp)
    Muscle 5 Quads Leg Press (10-15 rep ss) 3-5min rest, then 20 rep WM

I really like your plan and it looks like you put some time into it. I have a few suggestions that I think may enhance your blast...

I know it is said to use a higher range in DCers that are a little more "seasoned" but if your joints are healthy, feel free to use a variety of rep ranges. A good array of rep ranges will provide several different stimuli.

Stiff legged deads always come last in DC and I would not have them on the ame day as trap bar deads. Too much repetition...

Do you really think your quads will get the most out of trap bar deads? How much you can hold may be severely limiting...

Also, having SLDLs, trap bar deads and then the next session rack deads is a lot of deadlifting and a lot fo low back stress. You may fatigue quite fast during the blast. It has happened to the best of us. Just another reason why you may want to consider swapping another exercise for trap bar deads

You may want to reconsider doing BB incline and BB military press back to back since your front delts may fatigue and be a limiting factor. Maybe swap the nautilus machine press with the military press?

This should give you a few things to think about... and hopefully make your blast more productive
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Cheers, Mentalflex! Greatly appreciate the feedback!

I'll do some tinkering and get things sorted with the SLDL sequence. I would simply then do them ahead of my quad-dominant exercise, yea?

Feel you on TB Deads after SLDLs - lots of strain on the low back there. I'll look to break those two up. I enjoy TB Deads as I can do them for high reps without concern over a breakdown in form, and (for me) they do hit my quads squarely. That said, you are spot-on that the gating factor is how much I can hold. I'll give some thought to replacing them entirely. Tough to do, like saying 'good bye' to an old friend but I take your point.

Good tip on the BB incline and BB military press back to back. I can def look to swap the BB military press out for a machine-based shoulder pressing motion.

Cheers!

- Savage

Comment

I arranged 1 of my blasts long ago the same as that with SLDs and trap bar squat in the same workout - didnt work out! my lower back would be that pumped and fatigued i never made any real progress on the Trap bar deads (which as a quad movement i absolutely love by the way!). My low rep set would be fine but it came to my 20repper id never get past about 12 reps due to my lower back!!

Stew
        Some people are so afraid of dying they never actually start living.

Comment

I am in red

Originally posted by NbleSavage View Post
          Cheers, Mentalflex! Greatly appreciate the feedback!

I'll do some tinkering and get things sorted with the SLDL sequence. I would simply then do them ahead of my quad-dominant exercise, yea?

Bingo! and dropping the TB deads would solve some of the other issues. Learn from the exerpeince of anabolic... you may love the exericse, but it just may not lend itself to being a great DC option. Hey, run your blat and then tale few weeks break from DC and do some volume or what have you and get your jollies off on your TB deads there lol

Feel you on TB Deads after SLDLs - lots of strain on the low back there. I'll look to break those two up. I enjoy TB Deads as I can do them for high reps without concern over a breakdown in form, and (for me) they do hit my quads squarely. That said, you are spot-on that the gating factor is how much I can hold. I'll give some thought to replacing them entirely. Tough to do, like saying 'good bye' to an old friend but I take your point.

Yeah, like i said above, some exercises are great but you need to look at how they fit in the overall program. It needs to all work as a unit

Good tip on the BB incline and BB military press back to back. I can def look to swap the BB military press out for a machine-based shoulder pressing motion.

Yeah, all you would do is take the BB military and swap it with you nautilus machine press and put the BB military where the nautilus press is. IMO, you should have better progress like that

Cheers!

- Savage
          Keep the question coming! and beat that damn logbook!
          mentalflex
          ISOM Winner February 2012
          Last edited by mentalflex; 02-19-2014, 07:36 AM.
          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
            I am in red

Keep the question coming! and beat that damn logbook!
            Thanks, Mate! I'm really liking the competitive side of this program! The log book is my nemesis

Comment

Originally posted by anabolic2k View Post
              I arranged 1 of my blasts long ago the same as that with SLDs and trap bar squat in the same workout - didnt work out! my lower back would be that pumped and fatigued i never made any real progress on the Trap bar deads (which as a quad movement i absolutely love by the way!). My low rep set would be fine but it came to my 20repper id never get past about 12 reps due to my lower back!!

Stew
              Great share, Mate! I'm leaning towards doing as MentalFlex suggested and just repping-out in between blasts to get my jollies and replacing TB Deads with another less back-taxing quad dominant exercise. Am leaning towards a hack squat but am open to suggestions! Leg extensions seems a bit of a cop-out, and I'm already squatting and working the leg press. Thoughts?

Comment

Great share, Mate! I'm leaning towards doing as MentalFlex suggested and just repping-out in between blasts to get my jollies and replacing TB Deads with another less back-taxing quad dominant exercise. Am leaning towards a hack squat but am open to suggestions! Leg extensions seems a bit of a cop-out, and I'm already squatting and working the leg press. Thoughts?
                You answered your own question... you know leg extensions are not optimal...hacks are great. You can also do smith squats, smith front squats, v-squats (if you have one of these machines), the funky power squat machines, hip belt squats, smith sissy hack squats (homununculus's invention)... just let your mind wander. When you are on a cruise, experiment with anything that has potential

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                  You answered your own question... you know leg extensions are not optimal...hacks are great. You can also do smith squats, smith front squats, v-squats (if you have one of these machines), the funky power squat machines, hip belt squats, smith sissy hack squats (homununculus's invention)... just let your mind wander. When you are on a cruise, experiment with anything that has potential
                  We'll go with Hacks for this blast. I like the chance to try some new things with this program! The variety will definitely keep it fresh. My gym does have a Smith machine, so all the Smith variations are available. I've always wanted to try hip-belt squats, may have to invest in a hip belt someday.

Cheers, Mate!!

Comment

Back with another daft question. Looking at my Back Thickness option for my first workout this week and I'd still set TB deads as my exercise.

Am wondering if conventional deads would be preferred as a superior back thickening tool? Or perhaps bent BB rows?

Cheers

- Savage

Comment

Double Post

Comment

Nevermind - I found where MentalFlex had already weighed-in on this exact question a couple of years back. I'm instead going to go with conventional deadlifts.

Here's from MentalFlex: "Trap bar deadlifts put your body in more of a squatting position than straight bar deadlifts and put more of an emphasis on your quads. IMO, they would not be a very effective back thickness exercise."
                        NbleSavage
                        Last edited by NbleSavage; 02-23-2014, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Nevermind - I found where MentalFlex had already weighed-in on this exact question a couple of years back. I'm instead going to go with conventional deadlifts.

Here's from MentalFlex: "Trap bar deadlifts put your body in more of a squatting position than straight bar deadlifts and put more of an emphasis on your quads. IMO, they would not be a very effective back thickness exercise."
                          Hold up my brother!!!! It looks like you will then be doing conventional deads in one session then back squats in the next, is this correct?

As of 7:48Pm EST, I see trap bar deads twice? Once for back thickness and once for quads... I would not have these in there before back squats... You will reduce your likelihood of progression on quads.

Also, doing conventional deads before sqauts will really put a hurting on your low back. Even a young spring chicken would have hard time with low back recovery doing that. I would suggest doing smith or BB rows or a chest supported rows.

You need to look at DC as a comprehensive program. Ask what exercises, when combined together, will lead to the greatest strength and size progression? Having all big bang exercise, squats, deads, SLDLs, rack deads... etc, although awesome exercises, when you do all of them together you have too much fatigue and you can get the most out of them. When you look at your exercises, don't just look at them in isolation, look at them as how they fit into the big picture and ensure you choose a grouping that together you get the most of them to get you to your goal... and you can ALWAYS swap in exercises later. Same something fun for down the road

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Cheers, Flex - great timing as I'm fixin' to go grip the steel proper before my shift today.

You had interpreted my change correct, however I take your point - yes I'd have been doing deads in the workout just ahead of squats. I should have seen how that would be bad juju.

I've added the new proposed blast here, and as opposed to deads I'm now going to focus on BB Bent Rows for back thickness this blast in hope to save me back a bit. Sound ok?

Much appreciate the feedback!

Current proposed blast then:

Muscle 1 Chest Incline Bench Press (15-30rp)
                            Muscle 2 Shoulders Nautilus Military Presses (15-30rp)
                            Muscle 3 Triceps Incline Skullcrushers (20-30 rp)
                            Muscle 4 BackWidth Under-Hand Grip Chins (15-30rp)
                            Muscle 5 BackThickness BB Bent Rows ss (10-15 reps) + (6-8 reps)

Muscle 1 Biceps Preacher BB Curls (15-30rp)
                            Muscle 2 Forearms Pinwheel Curls (ss 15-30 reps)
                            Muscle 3 Calves Leg Press Toe Press (10-12 reps); 15sec.holds
                            Muscle 4 Hamstrings Lying Leg Curls (15-30rp)
                            Muscle 5 Quads Free Squats (10-15 rep ss) 3-5 min. rest , (20 rep WM)

Muscle 1 Chest Hammer Strength Decline Press (15-30rp)
                            Muscle 2 Shoulders Military Press (15-30rp)
                            Muscle 3 Triceps Nautilus Dipping Station (15-30rp)
                            Muscle 4 BackWidth Wide Grip Pull-Down (15-30rp)
                            Muscle 5 BackThickness Nautilus Supported Row (15-30rp)

Muscle 1 Biceps EZ Bar Drag Curls (15-30rp)
                            Muscle 2 Forearms Reverse Grip Preacher Curls (ss 15-30 reps)
                            Muscle 3 Calves Standing Calves (ss 10-12); 15sec.holds
                            Muscle 4 Quads Hack Squats ss (10-15 reps) + (6-10 reps) + WM (20 reps)
                            Muscle 5 Hamstrings Straight Legged Dead Lifts (15-20 reps) + (8-10 reps)

Muscle 1 Chest Incline DB Presses (15-30rp)
                            Muscle 2 Shoulders Leverage Upright Rows (15-30rp)
                            Muscle 3 Triceps Close Grip Flat Bench: (15-30 rp)
                            Muscle 4 BackWidth Neutral-Grip Chins (11-15rp)
                            Muscle 5 BackThickness Rack Deadlifts ss (10-15reps) + (15-30reps)

Muscle 1 Biceps Nautilus Curls (15-30rp)
                            Muscle 2 Forearms Reverse Grip Nautilus Curls (ss 15-30)
                            Muscle 3 Calves Seated Calf Raises (10-12 reps); 15sec.holds
                            Muscle 4 Hamstrings Seated Leg Curls (15-30rp)
                            Muscle 5 Quads Leg Press (10-15 rep ss) + (6-10 rep ss) + 20 rep WM

Comment

Looks great! I think you are set up for a good blast savage! Keep beating that logbook!

*and take note of how each exercise feels. If you aren't getting a good feel for the contraction with a given exercise, either look at how you are executing the lift or swap in something new. Also, as you go through, you may fine that some exercises feel good and you can perform them safely in lower rep ranges, adjust to what is most effective for you. Not everyone is going to respond the same to the same rep ranges, which is why there is no one-size-fits-all DC program.

I'll be looking forward to seeing the results of you DC training down the road savage!

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Working...
                              X