NOT ALWAYS a trainingspartner for DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOT ALWAYS a trainingspartner for DC

I have a trainingspartner for DC training, but not always!
    How do I break the former records from my last DC training when he is not there!?
    Its not how good you are, but how good you want to be!
    Practise What You Preach!

If you mean he is spotting you during sets and when he is not there you are worrying about moving the weight training alone, my advive is:
    1)you are stronger than you think you are, if you think you will fail, you will. You are strong enough to lift what you do when he is with you, so you can do it without him.(if he is spotting you correctly, then you should still be doing all the work, and his hands being near the bar/dumbells, should just be a psycological factor, so when you see his hands there you think he is helping, so you ease up psycologically and bang out more reps, when in fact his hands are nothing more than a prop and are doing jack shit to assist you.
    2)simply, when he is training with you, have him not spot you, get him to stand away.

Of course if you are lifting more than you can handle and he is getting a free set of curls whilst you bench, then do step 2 and lower your weight. But im guessing from your avatar and previous pics this isnt the case.

Comment

Virus, do you mean re racking the weights after your sets?
      SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

I do BB exercises in a cage and set pins so I can go to failure... That takes care of the bb chest presses and overhead bb presses. I also to some tricep work in a cage like CG bench.

Same thing for leg exercises, just set pins and go till failure
        Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
        2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
        2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Mental gives some good advice about using the cage and setting the pins at a safe level. Along those same lines, you can use the smith too when selecting your exercises for your blast. (So, perhaps you should consider selecting exercises that would work with your schedule and having/not having a partner).

While you may not have a training partner, is there someone in the gym that could spot you? In theory, you wouldn't need their help that often (the work set portion is relatively quick)---I'm sure someone would be willing to help you, if needed.

Good luck..

-s
          slide
          Intense Set of the Month December 2009
          Last edited by slide; 12-14-2013, 12:12 PM.
          "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."

"Carry 24/7 or guess right."

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

Comment

Originally posted by martin_h View Post
            If you mean he is spotting you during sets and when he is not there you are worrying about moving the weight training alone, my advive is:
            1)you are stronger than you think you are, if you think you will fail, you will. You are strong enough to lift what you do when he is with you, so you can do it without him.(if he is spotting you correctly, then you should still be doing all the work, and his hands being near the bar/dumbells, should just be a psycological factor, so when you see his hands there you think he is helping, so you ease up psycologically and bang out more reps, when in fact his hands are nothing more than a prop and are doing jack shit to assist you.

2)simply, when he is training with you, have him not spot you, get him to stand away.

Of course if you are lifting more than you can handle and he is getting a free set of curls whilst you bench, then do step 2 and lower your weight. But im guessing from your avatar and previous pics this isnt the case.
            Not to be a dick here but I have to question if you fully understand the benefit/purpose of a spotter. There is a point where the weight you are moving can injure you badly, or literally kill your ass. Mis-groove something, blow out your pec/tricep,knee, shoulder, etc and you might have a real bad day. It is more than needing to "sack up". Especially on something like DC where you are pushing things to the brink of failure.

Some times you think you can easily get another few reps, take one more, get slightly out of the groove and it won't budge. So much can go wrong.

A good spotter is more than a guy who stands there and lays 2 fingers on the bar if it is coming to a stop. A good spotter is laser focused on what is going on, and ready to grab that shit in a split second. When I am spotting my training partner his safety is by far my main focus, well above if he gets his reps, etc.

Mental is on the money. Set up in the cage if you can't find someone you trust to spot you. Be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Imprezivr6 View Post
              Not to be a dick here but I have to question if you fully understand the benefit/purpose of a spotter. There is a point where the weight you are moving can injure you badly, or literally kill your ass. Mis-groove something, blow out your pec/tricep,knee, shoulder, etc and you might have a real bad day. It is more than needing to "sack up". Especially on something like DC where you are pushing things to the brink of failure.

Some times you think you can easily get another few reps, take one more, get slightly out of the groove and it won't budge. So much can go wrong.

A good spotter is more than a guy who stands there and lays 2 fingers on the bar if it is coming to a stop. A good spotter is laser focused on what is going on, and ready to grab that shit in a split second. When I am spotting my training partner his safety is by far my main focus, well above if he gets his reps, etc.

Mental is on the money. Set up in the cage if you can't find someone you trust to spot you. Be safe.
              I understand what a spot is for, I get it entirely. (I don't think your being a dick either btw)

I was merely coming from the point of view that, (and making an assumption) there won't be many people in the gym who know how to spot for DC and get it all wrong.

For somebody like yourself (powerlifting background) you know how to spot and importance of how to do it (safety first) properly, A LOT of people don't in most gyms. (again I am making an assumption on the type of gym he's at, which is my fault, as it could be an Elite FTS type of gym and have people who know how to spot correctly)

I also assumed he would be using a smith machine for most of his stuff, due not having a solid training partner that is always there (thought that would be planned in due to this being a regular occurence..again I shouldnt assume)
              So if he was pushing himself and got out of his groove.missed it, then it is easily racked (this being 1 of the reasons DC recommends smiths).

I was also trying to make the point, if he is worrying about a spot, then he shouldn't be, and that he will injure himself if he is going to worry about it, instead of being focused on going to failure on each rep.

As per DC training DVD, I agree with Jason Wojo; if you have a partner there with you that day, get him to stand out of the way and get used to pushing it alone(it may not be ideal for pushing yourself to absolute limits, but you will get used to your technical failiure and when you cant push another rep..having a training partner can sqew this, from the point of view of, "did he help much of those last 2 reps..."he's not here training me this week, shit will I be able to get it alone or was it just him doing the work")..Sure a training partner is completely useful (and good partners/teams are essential to maximizing gains and safety--you can still get busted with the best spotter) but if it isn't a regular occurrence, then it becomes a hindrance from a psychological point of view.

That is my opinion on THIS situation. If he was asking from a 1RM point of view and needing a spot, I wouldn't have even commented, that is something I have no business answering at this moment in time.
              martin_h
              Middleweight Member
              Last edited by martin_h; 12-14-2013, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Has nothing to do with PL vs BB. 1rm vs rep work. It has to do with using weights that are dangerous. Even 275 to the neck/face will fuck up your day..lol

I did DC training for 5+ years, I've been training in PL for a fraction of that.. My "background" is not in PL. But common sense is common sense.

Maybe I am a pussy, but I take my training partner's safety very seriously. I can recall one instance in our last training cycle where he was supposed to rest pause like 475. This is a weight he went like 8/3/1-2 on so not even close to his 1rm, but I wouldn't let him bench until I could find 2 guys to side spot because if something goes wrong, it's going to take more than me to ensure he walks out of there.

Like Mental said, do it in a cage. That clears up all your "assumptions" and putting your trust in someone who might be an idiot. We don't really think of something going wrong, until it happens.

I am talking BB movements here. Not DB, smith machine, or things of that nature, just to make myself clear.
                Imprezivr6
                Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 198lb Raw Club Total 1642
                Last edited by Imprezivr6; 12-14-2013, 05:24 PM.

Comment

I think your missing my point.

Not many people know how to spot and do it safely..most people tug the shit out of the bar. Which itself can lead to an injury and a world of problems..so I am saying instead of hoping somebody is good can spot you, learn to push yourself alone and do it in the smith machine.(like i said..this id why DC rexommends it for the most part)

The fact you went and got 2 side spots says it all; you are not a fool and can spot correctly..a lot of people cant. That is 1 of my points...the other is the mental impact of worrying about a spot when you dont have 1..which may lead to injury//not pushing yourself like DC demands eaxb and every rep etc.

Again I am commenting on this situation..better to get used to psuhing alone if you havent goylt a solid training partner..how do you know how much your pushing the set if you have different spots who may or may not be doing the work for you..how do you know what you are doing..
                  martin_h
                  Middleweight Member
                  Last edited by martin_h; 12-14-2013, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by martin_h View Post
                    I think your missing my point.

Not many people know how to spot and do it safely..most people tug the shit out of the bar. Which itself can lead to an injury and a world of problems..so I am saying instead of hoping somebody is good can spot you, learn to push yourself alone and do it in the smith machine.(like i said..this id why DC rexommends it for the most part)

Again I am commenting on this situation..better to get used to psuhing alone if you havent goylt a solid training partner..how do you know how much your pushing the set if you have different spots who may or may not be doing the work for you..how do you know what you are doing..
                    I'm not missing your point, I just don't agree with it. heh My point is, if you still want to utilize barbell movements, then do what Mental suggested. If you want to use smith machines, then this is all a non issue.

As to your second paragraph, even with the same spotter, and an experience spotter, you have no "technical" way of knowing how much they are helping you anyway. Any time someone touches the bar you are getting help to some degree, and there is no way to know how much. When someone touches the bar, it is a failed rep IMO. Count to the rep before it.

Comment

Fair enough.

Thanks for your points.

Comment

to add to the spot vs no spot discussion, i have noticed both sides of the coin:

i train PL solo and no spot mostly, so many times the work set weight is the intimidating factor even before i set up, and it psyches me out. at times i may pussy out and just mentally prepare to lift 1 rep less and sell myself short, and other times i still lift my expected reps but know my limits (sort of) and then i know i HAVE to get my last rep up or i am dead, and maybe even push for 1 more.

however, it is quite dumb unless you know your limits and have safety precautions like pins set up. on a flat or incline BB, maybe a freak tweak of a muscle will fuk u over and now the bar is on your neck. or an earthquake makes u slip and now youre dead. or some jackass runs into you while ur lifting. likely? no. possible? yes.

most of my injuries occur during warmup from nowhere (front squat 95lb and erector tweaks). can't plan for that shit.

having a spot may make you push for more reps just since he can help you partial rep and not die, but you may lose some intensity in your set since you have a fall-back plan and its not the life/death situation adrenaline rush with the no-spot lift.

Comment

Originally posted by Imprezivr6 View Post
                          Has nothing to do with PL vs BB. 1rm vs rep work. It has to do with using weights that are dangerous. Even 275 to the neck/face will fuck up your day..lol

I did DC training for 5+ years, I've been training in PL for a fraction of that.. My "background" is not in PL. But common sense is common sense.

Maybe I am a pussy, but I take my training partner's safety very seriously. I can recall one instance in our last training cycle where he was supposed to rest pause like 475. This is a weight he went like 8/3/1-2 on so not even close to his 1rm, but I wouldn't let him bench until I could find 2 guys to side spot because if something goes wrong, it's going to take more than me to ensure he walks out of there.

Like Mental said, do it in a cage. That clears up all your "assumptions" and putting your trust in someone who might be an idiot. We don't really think of something going wrong, until it happens.

I am talking BB movements here. Not DB, smith machine, or things of that nature, just to make myself clear.
                          rest pause 475 on a bb bench wtf???????? what is the fker totalling?

Comment

Originally posted by drcrappants View Post
                            rest pause 475 on a bb bench wtf???????? what is the fker totalling?
                            Might have been 465, I dunno, but it was a lot. lol Totaled just under 1900 and probably left 100lb on the table.

Comment

+1 for setting up in the cage with pins
                              #docswholift
                              PGY-1 FM
                              "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

Working...
                              X