How to select reps for restpause using DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to select reps for restpause using DC

Hello, I'm new on the forums, and new to DC training.
    I have some experience with low volume training before, but not quite like DC.
    I never used rest pause before, so, I've been reading thru alot of postes today, mostly links from this thread: http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=17978

But something I couldnt find (it might be in there and I missed it, ofc)

But when I am going to build a program, how do I select rep ranges?

Especially for the Rest Pause? I see that 11-15 is the normal (and double when using dumbbells?) but i also see the guys using 15-20 in some cases. What makes you go sertain rep ranges and not? A description or link to where I can read about it would be most thankfull

Other than that, I'd like to say so far from what I read, many great posts, fun times reading

Reidar is my name
    Born: 1983
    Height: 183cm
    Current Weight: 120kg/264.55lbs

I did it by body part or even by exercises in some cases. For example, any type of leg curl was over 20 reps. I would do something like 15-7-4 for 26 reps. I didn't like the idea of something like 8-4-2 on leg curls bc of injuring myself. Same with something like barbell preacher curls. No way would I want to strain that area with a weight I could only curl for a rep or two.

When starting out I would play it safe and go higher rep ranges to see how you feel rest pausing. You can always lower it.

Good luck and welcome to IM

Comment

There is a lot of individuality when it comes to selecting rep ranges...

Think about how your body has previously responded to various rep schemes (do you feel the muscle better and get a deeper stimulus in w lower or higher range?).

For many exercises that require a lot of stabilization (like Db presses) a higher re range may be more effective, but if your chest, for example, does well in a low rep range and you can really feel the muscle, then consider going lower, like 15-20rp, but also have variety in rep ranges on your other exercises for that bodypart. At least two different rep schemes is what I tend to prefer, three is the exercise selection lends it to that.

Don't think everything is set in stone... Dante and Homon have provided the general guidelines but you need to consider individual characteristics to ensure the program is optimal.
      Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
      2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
      2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Hey whats upTO?…welcome to IM and DC training. I am not a DC expert by any means but rep ranges for RP sets can be tailored to individual response, BUT, a generic rep scheme could be something like this
        Chest movement: 11-15 RP
        Shoulders: 11-15 RP
        Triceps: 15-20 RP
        Back width: 11-15 RP
        Back thickness: try 2 straight sets of say 10-12, then 8-10. You don’t really want to be rest pausing something like a deadlift so do these heavy movements as a straight set.
        Biceps: 15-20 PR
        Forearms: 15-20 straight set
        Calves: 8-12 DC style
        Hams: 15-20 RP
        Quads: again, try 2 straight sets of say 10-12, then 8-10. You don’t really want to be rest pausing something like a Squat so do these heavy movements as a straight set.
        As stated above, this rep scheme could be a launching point for you then you can evaluate your progress and adjust the rep ranges and exercise selections to fit your needs. For instance, say your Biceps are not really growing off the 15-20 RP set up, then try a different rep scheme like 11-15 RP and reevaluate. Most of the rep ranges are (I think Dante has said this) set up for a reason including injury avoidance. That being said, use it as a guide but know when to make adjustments; this is the reason why DC is recommended for experience lifters who know how to evaluate and adjust to that kind of thing among others.
        Everything you would ever want to know about DC is in here somewhere and a lot of guys in this board know the program inside and out. Read all the stickys you can; yes it might take a few days/weeks, but it is well worth the time investment if you really want to know the program…Good luck!

Comment

Just don't do super low rep ranges with dumbells, that's asking to get hurt.
          :preach:

Comment

These are good advices guys, thanks, then I have the basic info I need to make a plan and get to work

What you think about the Widowmaker sets compared to just going heavyer on last sets on exercises like Squat?
            Last edited by TheOne; 12-09-2013, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
              These are good advices guys, thanks, then I have the basic info I need to make a plan and get to work

What you think about the Widowmaker sets compared to just going heavyer on last sets on exercises like Squat?
              IWell then you aren't doing DC.. the widowmaker is going to provide a different kind of stimulus than just a heavy set. From being under tension for so long, you are going to activate fibers you would not normally activate doing a heavy set of say 6.

The widowmaker is not something you just drop with DC training... But if you can't do a Wm with squats, you are able to use another machine or exericse for safety purposes, but the WM has to be in there.
              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

ok, I just read what jeffro said about the squats. But WM is recomended then.

In this link: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=13256&page=3
                Its said you can use WM for chest aswell. Is this also possible with for example back after thickness, you use seated rows? Or isent that DC ?

Comment

There are several factors to consider when determining what rep range to use:
                  1) your age
                  2) the exercise - bodypart trained and is it a multi-joint compound movement or single joint isolation
                  3) safety - BB, DB, machine
                  4) existing injuries

This is where the experience comes in to play, knowing your own body and capabilities.
                  -KidRok-
                  "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
                  5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                    ok, I just read what jeffro said about the squats. But WM is recomended then.

In this link: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=13256&page=3
                    Its said you can use WM for chest aswell. Is this also possible with for example back after thickness, you use seated rows? Or isent that DC ?
                    That is the three-way... only use a Wm for quads on the 2-way.

On the three-way WMs are used to bring up lagging larts

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

got it thanks.
                      I put this togther (picture), might need some tweeking here and there (feel free to suggest), went to gym and blasted workout A1 and it felt pretty good (loaded a little to light on weights so ended up with more reps than i wanted but went to failiure on all even so). Did the stretching after each exercise, except back wide, i saved stretch for after back thickness. Ill do cardio tomorrow. It cant be done in morning due to work, but after work, but thats only a minor detail in my book.

if I feel like doing RP on pendlay rows isent posing a risk of injury, could I do RP or just stick with SS? Reason for using SS is safety after all.
                      Last edited by TheOne; 12-09-2013, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Looks like you are starting to put it together. Squats, deads, rack deads, and box squats could really take a toll on the low back and the cns in general.

Comment

Here are some notes from what I see:

Chest: Looks good
                          Shoulders: You have the same exercise twice. Also, consider upping th rep range for Db shoulder presses
                          Ticeps: Triceps tend to respond better to rep ranges a little higher. Consider using 15-20rp and even 20-30RP or 20-25rp... You also have dips twice. Once for chest and once for tris... you need more variety. Possibly something like deadskulls using a 15-20rp range?
                          Back Width: Not bad, but get a feel for the chins because you may want to increase the rep range. I found I feel them better in a little high range
                          Back Thickness: Deadlifts might not be you best option here...especially if the are coming after squats.

Biceps: They are small muscle group and for most tend to respond well using a higher rep range. Consider using a high rep range for the Db curls
                          Forearms: Not bad
                          Calfs: Good
                          Hammies: I would up the rep range on GHRs. Also, RDLs come last for the day they are done to prevent low back fatigue
                          Quads: Not all heavy sets need to be 4-8, you can go a little higher in rep range if needed

General Notes: You will really struggle doing squats and deads in consecutive workouts. I would suggest dropping the deads and doing something like Smith bent rows, meadows rows, chest supported rows or T-bar rows here.

As far as the pendlay rows, you already have a lot of stress on your low back, keep the SS. Better to keep SS and keep a nice long blast than cut it short.

I probably missed some stuff...but that is what I am seeing right now.

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Biceps. General rule of thumb is 12-20 RP and even sometimes 20-30RP on certain exercises
                            Hammies. Consider doing 15-30rp on leg curls and RDL IMO should be a 15-25 Straight set, my reasoning for this, form will go shoddy for SOME people when doing a rest pause set (in other words grinding it out).
                            Forearms. Have a little variety and go for 10-20 ss. Also dont forget to extend your wrist and keep it extending doing reverse curls.

Maybe consider front squats in place of squats, if you can do them.

Comment

I forgot to add, consider straight setting RDLs...

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Working...
                              X