leg extention in workout!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leg extention in workout!

I want to keep leg extention in my blast untill I fail! Drop set styl or widow maker?
    Someone did this before, or now?
    Its not how good you are, but how good you want to be!
    Practise What You Preach!

Originally posted by theVirus View Post
    I want to keep leg extention in my blast untill I fail! Drop set styl or widow maker?
    I do them at the end of my quad training. I go with a drop set with partials (something I picked up watching John Meadows). I do a set of 12 till failure, then do 10-12 partials with that weight, drop the weight down do 10-12 reps and as then as many partials as I can get....and keep following this pattern until I reach the end of the stack. After doing heavy ass quad sets, this will humble you.
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

[QUOTE=mentalflex;1057573]I do them at the end of my quad training. I go with a drop set with partials (something I picked up watching John Meadows). I do a set of 12 till failure, then do 10-12 partials with that weight, drop the weight down do 10-12 reps and as then as many partials as I can get....and keep following this pattern until I reach the end of the stack. After doing heavy ass quad sets, this will humble you.[/QUOTE

The partials are from half way up tot full extention not? Pump or slow negatif and explosif up? I will give it a try.

Comment

The partials are from half way up tot full extention not? Pump or slow negatif and explosif up? I will give it a try.
        Yes, halfway up to full extension. And try pointing your toes down. Controlled explosive up slow controlled negative on the full reps, try to pause it briefly at the top. My partials are more piston like, no pause, just a smooth motion until I get to the last rep or two... I really try to force the last partial until I can budge the movement.
        Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Are you doing DC training?...

-S
          The Book Has Arrived!
          The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
          2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
          2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post

-S
            Oh geeze... when I saw drop set i assumed he wasn't talking DC...

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

-S
              Hi, for the moment I integrated some DC rules in my contest preparation training. With
              succes, the drop sets and some widow makers. Already a heavy duty training style
              trained, it was eazy to do.
              After my competition I take a 10 days break and will do DC only on mond-wednes-friday,
              with the goal gaining 5kg muscle mass in 1 year target! I know, setting my goal high, but
              this is he way I disipline myself to go and focus. When I go to the gym it is to give it
              those 3 days at all, or otherwise I stay home! I dont want to loose time and not
              progressing! After all I am 44!
              Hope I reach my goal! What do you think?
              Phil

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                Oh geeze... when I saw drop set i assumed he wasn't talking, DC...
                At the end of the compound exercice, last set, I do normaly a drop set, decraising weight,
                and for the isolation movement sometimes a pumpset tot faillure.

Comment

At the end of the compound exercice, last set, I do normaly a drop set, decraising weight,
                  and for the isolation movement sometimes a pumpset tot faillure.
                  Gotcha... so RIGHT NOW, you are not doing DC. In which case everything is still applicable. Cool.

As you've probably read, with DC, leg extensions are a poor exercise choice.

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Hi, for the moment I integrated some DC rules in my contest preparation training. With
                    succes, the drop sets and some widow makers. Already a heavy duty training style
                    trained, it was eazy to do.
                    After my competition I take a 10 days break and will do DC only on mond-wednes-friday,
                    with the goal gaining 5kg muscle mass in 1 year target! I know, setting my goal high, but
                    this is he way I disipline myself to go and focus. When I go to the gym it is to give it
                    those 3 days at all, or otherwise I stay home! I dont want to loose time and not
                    progressing! After all I am 44!
                    Hope I reach my goal! What do you think?
                    Phil
                    Mind if I move this thread out of the PuppyPound?... (It's quite confusing for folks trying to figure out how to set up a DC blast to see these sorts of things.)

-----

I think it's great to have goals. I can't really assess how legitimate those are - you're already obviously a pretty high level guys, so a 12lb increase in stage weight in 1 year would be pretty friggin' phenomenal.

-S
                    The Book Has Arrived!
                    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                      Gotcha... so RIGHT NOW, you are not doing DC. In which case everything is still applicable. Cool.

As you've probably read, with DC, leg extensions are a poor exercise choice.
                      In the stickys (DC 'rules') I have read 'If you really want to do he exercice because IT
                      works very well..'(not with the Same words). So thats way I want to keep leg extentions.
                      After net competition, sunday, I will start DC strikt!

Comment

Mind if I move this thread out of the PuppyPound?... (It's quite confusing for folks trying to figure out how to set up a DC blast to see these sorts of things.)

-----

I think it's great to have goals. I can't really assess how legitimate those are - you're already obviously a pretty high level guys, so a 12lb increase in stage weight in 1You year would be pretty friggin' phenomenal.

-S
                        You'r the boss, so if he thread belongs not here... :-) Just started he thread in this section
                        because after all I'm a DC puppy!
                        12lbs is a goal, and I always place a goal high to be shure I have to give it all!
                        Having some freaky good genetics, I give myself a good chanse!

Comment

You'r the boss, so if he thread belongs not here... :-) Just started he thread in this section
                          because after all I'm a DC puppy!
                          12lbs is a goal, and I always place a goal high to be shure I have to give it all!
                          Having some freaky good genetics, I give myself a good chanse!
                          Unless you have a very glaring weakness such that your hams and flutes are really well developed and quads are very weak, using quad isolation exercise on a DC two way (for an RP set, not talking about a widow maker on a three way split), wouldn't be the best selection for most folks.

You've got very little variety in terms of exercises in a DC two way vs. most other programs. Some of why the program likely works is overlap of training from using compound exercises.

For the same of comparison Imagine if you only did knee extensions, unilateral ham curls for thighs vs. if you did squats and stiff-legged dead lifts.

In the former, you've got no calf stimulation (be it minimal) from the isolation exercises and the glutes would not be stimulated much at all. Upper body work during leg day would be just about zilch, vs. a good deal of action with the squats and stiff-legged. (I'm not saying you should do those exercises on the same day or for every workout - this is an example simply to explain a principle.)

The more isolation exercises you do, the less secondary training you get on other stabilizer and synergistic muscles. You're not TRYING to hit the back with stiff- legged DL's, but there is some training effect there (like a deload day for the erectors, lats, etc,. on that leg day).

You can adjust how much of this overlap occurs (low back is a special one to pay attention to), but generally this does not mean picking a lot of isolation exercises, UNLESS you've really got a glaring weakness or a particular exercise (e.g., lying side laterals) is just the best damn exercise you've ever done.

DC's program is based on his observations - it's empirically derived to a large extent. The guy who get under the bar and squats his way to 500+ for reps is more likely to have monster quads than the guy who spends that time doing leg extensions. That principle would hold throughout exercise selection in general (with the above considerations in place).

-S

Note: One time when a knee extension might make good sense is if someone grows really we'll with a lot of dead lifts and is using a SLDL or romanian DL as well. In this case, a knee extension could be interspersed between deadlifting variations (for back) to prevent overdoing it on the low back. I'd not START this way, but it could be a an option for someone who's figured out this might be the best way to go after doing a YEAR or more of blasts.
                          The Book Has Arrived!
                          The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

@homonunculus, you'v got a point! Out goes leg extention, after all compounds will always give more overall muscle mass. I just have to switch mentality and aproach to this way of working out.

Comment

Working...
                            X