Total Reps to determine progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total Reps to determine progress

Ok, so Ive been training 12 yrs, but only about 2 yrs hard again after a 2 yr hiatus due to family andhealth problems. Anywho, Im 5'11", 245 and am certaintly not a newbie to training, but def a DC newb. So, one thing I wanna clear up is how to determine when ur reps have plateud. Once you are stuck on a weight, but now trying to just beat reps each wk, so u only count the reps u get until failure on the first third of the rest pause? Im assuming u dont count the total of all the failure points bc if u fail at 8 reps 3 wks in a row, but get a total of 12 reps one wk, 13 the next and 14 the following, ur still failing at 8 the first time and technically not stronger correct?? sorry if this was stupid, I looked around but couldnt find anything addressing this specifically, just sayin beat the reps or weight but didnt get this specific...
    When a farmer plants barley, he doesnt expect wheat or corn to grow does he? So if you plant negative thoughts of failure in your mind, what would you expect to grow? Make sure you plant prosperous and positive crops!

I guess ignorance is a crime afterall in the pound puppy section... haha
    When a farmer plants barley, he doesnt expect wheat or corn to grow does he? So if you plant negative thoughts of failure in your mind, what would you expect to grow? Make sure you plant prosperous and positive crops!

Comment

Beat your total.
      Lee Salado, E.P.A.S.

Comment

Originally posted by FeHoister View Post
        I guess ignorance is a crime afterall in the pound puppy section... haha
        No, but impatience is. :runaway:
        Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
        kind of a douche

Comment

Yeah just beat your total. GRIND AWAY!!!!!!!
          Max Muscle
          5020 Katella Ave.
          Los Alamitos, CA 90720
          www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

The reason I figured beating the total wouldnt be a "true" strength increase is because of certain factors like accidently resting a little longer while doing the rest pauses one week... Thats the only reason I thought the most sure fire way to know ur strength increased is if you can beat the number of reps up until the first failure point. But I apologize and will continue to learn and grow : )

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
              No, but impatience is. :runaway:
              Your right, patience is a virtue and def a weak point for me when I get excited about something haha sorry!

Comment

Im impatient too dude when I get excited..but its a waiting game as you know.

"The reason I figured beating the total wouldnt be a "true" strength increase is because of certain factors like accidently resting a little longer while doing the rest pauses one week"

Try not to overanalyse it like this dude.

Its been said in old threads (ive read alot of old threads here to make sure I didnt miss a thing..Dantes/Skips/Shawn Future Bellon/Homon/Massive G/Inhuman/Sweat machine etc) that you dont have to rush your 10-15 deep breaths (within reason) just do them and get grinding away on the next set.
                As long as you control the negative, hit the rep ranges and increase in weight/reps each week (atleast a 2-3 rep increase or if you feel lucky another 5-10lb depending on the exercise) and go to maximal failiure and fight for reps/grind them out. Then your good.

If your really over worrying about resting and how long your having then the DC dvd will rest your mind. Also if you search through dantes threads he has a thread about a Brian Bennett somewhere and posts vids of Brian doing RP on Military press and he likes the tempo and its how we should all be grinding out on exercises.

Comment

Thanks alot Martin, I kinda figured I may be trying to complicate things more than I need to. I'm gonna just keep it simple, eat mass of amounts of clean protein, wage war against my logbook each week, do my stretches,, and push each set until the muscle is completely taxed, then rest, eat, recover and grow until the next battle with the log! Ha

Comment

Working...
                  X