Ankle weights for mass gain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ankle weights for mass gain?

Buddy of mine told me that when he played football their coach had them wear wrist and ankle weights on their "off" days. He swears that the added limb weight while doing mundane life stuff all day helped him grow and made him feel faster.

Is there anything to this? I wear 5 lbs ankle weights on my morning walks but not all day and never on my wrists.

Just wondering if anyone else had heard of anything like this.

Thanks

Sounds like your buddy's football S&C coach is a doofus. Just freakin train.
    You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

Originally posted by RageBlanket View Post
      Sounds like your buddy's football S&C coach is a doofus. Just freakin train.
      Fair enough. Just trying to make conversation about a different idea.

Comment

I saw a chap walking with a couple of house bricks the other day. Wasn't sure if it was to put somebodys windows in or if there were his training aid.

5lb ankle weights aren't going to do anything, nor would 20lb for that matter in terms of mass. Maybe you MAY gain a small amount (really small) of mass..but what the heck happened to lifting heavy and eating large amounts of food. for adding mass.

Comment

Originally posted by martin_h View Post
          I saw a chap walking with a couple of house bricks the other day. Wasn't sure if it was to put somebodys windows in or if there were his training aid.

5lb ankle weights aren't going to do anything, nor would 20lb for that matter in terms of mass. Maybe you MAY gain a small amount (really small) of mass..but what the heck happened to lifting heavy and eating large amounts of food. for adding mass.
          I was only refering to off days. I was in no way implying that a walk with ankle weights is going to get you ripped.

I am having a very successful time with DC so far. Put on 27 pounds in the past two months. Loving it.

This thread had nothing to do with training days and was posted more out of curiousity about a potential edge to add.

That is all.

Comment

I wear wrist weights all day and I can chop carrots like a freaking iron chef. Lightning.

I tried hanging kettlebells from my dong, but that didn't work out so well.
            Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
            2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
            2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Seems like a good weight to damage your joints.
              My log: http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=47064

Comment

haha guess ill just pass on asking questions on this forum.
                Sorry for wasting your time. Wont waste mine again.

Comment

Know your audience, dude. You asked about ankle weights on a forum full of dudes who deadlift 2x (or more) their BW.

Or be butthurt. WTFE.

Comment

This is one thing I love about IM, brutal honesty. After all the years I've been here I still love it .

To the OP, I think what everyone is trying to say is: Don't think this far out of the box. Ankle Weights have their place, I should know, I train many 60+ women who like them for side leg lifts, etc...but definitely not designed to gain mass. POSSIBLY there could be a correlation with explosive strength, say if you were doing jump squats, but I would think that would be the extent of it.

Just my opinion.
                    2013 NPC Heartland Classic OKC - 1st Men's Lightheavyweight Novice/Overall

Comment

Lesson learned. Sorry for getting pissy. Long ass day with a very grumpy wife.
                      Im just trying to get my cardio sorted out. My training days are spot on but I feel lacking in the cardio area.

Friend told me about this so I thought id run it by the only knowledgeable group I know.

Anyways, my bad for the stupid question.

Comment

What do you currently do for cardio? Right now I'm utilizing intervals 3x/week and its going well. I freaking hate cardio. There are lots of proponents of both LISS and HIIT cardio on here. I'm sure you'll get varying opinions. I like HIIT myself.

P.S. A grumpy woman in general always sucks. Good luck.
                        2013 NPC Heartland Classic OKC - 1st Men's Lightheavyweight Novice/Overall

Comment

Originally posted by Burner7v7 View Post
                          Put on 27 pounds in the past two months. Loving it.
                          I'd say fuck the ankle and wrist weights and change NOTHING until you stall.
                          Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

I walk an hour every morning. On Tues and Thurs I do about 20 or 30 minutes on the heavy bag in the afternoon (I boxed for 7 years, old habits) and I try to walk again at night when scedule allows.
                            I also do abs on off days at night and I try to throw in some Mt climbers and such.

Made the huge mistake of trying to jog with my wife the other day. My shins are not used to my newly acquired weight it seems. Hurt for days after.

Thats about it.

I havent experienced any real fat gain since I upped my diet. But I dont feel as...tight I guess is a way to say it. SO Im just looking for new ideas.

The real problem is cardio is boring as hell.

And thanks, She's a full flung Italian with a temper to match! haha

Comment

Find yourself a prowler (or similar plate-loaded sled), some huge implement tires, and never run or be bored with cardio again.

A prowler will change your life, guaranteed.

Comment

Working...
                              X