Reducing DOMS in preparation for next training session

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reducing DOMS in preparation for next training session

Aside from the extreme stretching incorporated in to the DC routine during training sessions I wanted to also add targetted additional stretching to alleviate tight muscle bellies succeeding training.

For example, my hamstrings are very tight today and I have been stretching them lying against a wall yet to little avail.
    Is DOMS something to just put up with until the muscle fibers repairs and knits together again or are their specific movements and food items to consume to reduce it?

I actually enjoy the feeling of DOMS and the associated tightness - I feel a great mind-muscle connection at this point. Although, I aim to reduce them to prepare for my next workout so I can blast the weights with greater flexibility, less tension and less anxiety of potential injury.
    Last edited by Muscle Demon; 02-12-2013, 04:57 PM.

Have you re-evaluated your peri-workout nutrition protocol?

Stretching, foaming rolling, massaging...etc. will all help, but without adequate nutrients to facilitate the repair and growth of the muscles you've trained, you are still going to be sore.
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I'd just eat more, maybe some fish oil for inflammation, massaging the area.

I like to jam whatever muscles are tight with the pin from a pulldown stack. Saw Ronnie Coleman do it

Oh, and I'm not much of a water-drinker but once I got on point with that the soreness/DOMS dissipated. Also don't neglect the cardio to circulate blood more.
      Max Muscle
      5020 Katella Ave.
      Los Alamitos, CA 90720
      www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Epsom Salt baths for 20 minutes

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
          Have you re-evaluated your peri-workout nutrition protocol?

Stretching, foaming rolling, massaging...etc. will all help, but without adequate nutrients to facilitate the repair and growth of the muscles you've trained, you are still going to be sore.
          I totally agree with this.

Additionally, I really like glutamine for soreness. Many dismiss it as useless, but I find that it works exceptionally well for me.
          You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

Originally posted by RageBlanket View Post
            I totally agree with this.

Additionally, I really like glutamine for soreness. Many dismiss it as useless, but I find that it works exceptionally well for me.
            Amen!!!!! I use it for digestive health as well.

Glutamine is so inexpensive it is just one of those, "Why wouldn't you use it?" supplements.
            Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Tart cherry juice

Comment

i remember reading about bcaa's and their effects on limiting soreness

Comment

tart cherry juice does work...as does glutamine, i think it aids recouperation and boosts immune function
                  '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                  17 AAU Super Total
                  '16-AAU Hi
                  '15-USPA Metro
                  '15-USPA State
                  '15-AAU HI
                  '14-AAU HI
                  '14-USPA Metro
                  '14-WABDL Sonny's
                  '14-USPA State
                  '14-HI Strongman
                  '13-USPA
                  '13-WABDL Sonny's
                  '13-USPA State
                  '13-AAU HI
                  '11-USPA Metro
                  '10-NPC Stingrey
                  '09-NPC Islands
                  '09-NPC Stingrey
                  '09-ABA Islands
                  '02-ABA Islands
                  '02-ABA IronWorks
                  '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                  '01-ABA Olympia
                  '01-ABA Islands
                  '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                  '00-INBF Musclefest
                  '98-NGA Ill
                  '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
                    tart cherry juice does work...as does glutamine, i think it aids recouperation and boosts immune function
                    Trucelt - Can you talk about your experience with tart cherry juice? For example, how were you able to tell that was the factor helping recovery? How did you incorporate it?

I've read that tart cherries contain flavonoids and anthocyanins that induce strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects, so I would assume one would be able to reap the same benefits by supplementing with those compounds...

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by Islander View Post
                      Tart cherry juice
                      Ah yes, I knew a stripper by that name....the memories....
                      -KidRok-
                      "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
                      5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

On a serious note, do you have access to a hot tub or even a sauna? Just spending a bit of time in either of those, the heat will help with circulation to clear out the toxins and bring in fresh nutrients. IMO, DOMS recovery is all about increasing circulation to the area, and assuming your nutrition is up to par, you can speed recovery.
                        Last edited by Kidrok (Hop); 02-13-2013, 09:39 AM.
                        -KidRok-
                        "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
                        5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

Originally posted by KidRok View Post
                          Ah yes, I knew a stripper by that name....the memories....
                          Originally posted by KidRok View Post
                          On a serious note, do you have access to a hot tub or even a sauna? Just spending a bit of time in either of those, the heat will help with circulation to clear out the toxins and bring in fresh nutrients. IMO, DOMS recovery is all about increasing circulation to the area, and assuming your nutrition is up to par, you can speed recovery.
                          You can also increase circulation by spending time with strippers...but we can save that for another thread. :dancingna

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

@mental- actually DCB turned me on to it, I was having issuess with doms/inflamation esp after squat or DL days. I used 8oz as part of my PWN and noticed less soreness....this is all anectdotal but I saw a difference in prob 7 days

The only way I can say "oh ya it was the tart cherry", is that my dietary and supplement schedule does not have a lot of moving parts. Same with my training, the only difference st the time was the TCJ. Is it possible that it was placebo or something else I haven't considered? Yes. Will I bother to investigste that? No. I felt less sore, its packed full of anti-oxidants and tastes good....good enough for me
                            Last edited by trucelt; 02-13-2013, 11:03 AM.
                            '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                            17 AAU Super Total
                            '16-AAU Hi
                            '15-USPA Metro
                            '15-USPA State
                            '15-AAU HI
                            '14-AAU HI
                            '14-USPA Metro
                            '14-WABDL Sonny's
                            '14-USPA State
                            '14-HI Strongman
                            '13-USPA
                            '13-WABDL Sonny's
                            '13-USPA State
                            '13-AAU HI
                            '11-USPA Metro
                            '10-NPC Stingrey
                            '09-NPC Islands
                            '09-NPC Stingrey
                            '09-ABA Islands
                            '02-ABA Islands
                            '02-ABA IronWorks
                            '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                            '01-ABA Olympia
                            '01-ABA Islands
                            '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                            '00-INBF Musclefest
                            '98-NGA Ill
                            '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
                              @mental- actually DCB turned me on to it, I was having issuess with doms/inflamation esp after squat or DL days. I used 8oz as part of my PWN and noticed less soreness....this is all anectdotal but I saw a difference in prob 7 days

The only way I can say "oh ya it was the tart cherry", is that my dietary and supplement schedule does not have a lot of moving parts. Same with my training, the only difference st the time was the TCJ. Is it possible that it was placebo or something else I haven't considered? Yes. Will I bother to investigste that? No. I felt less sore, its packed full of anti-oxidants and tastes good....good enough for me
                              Yeah, knowing the properties of TCJ, that seems to make sense in terms of reducing inflammation and DOMS. And really, placebo or not, if it improves your performance and has no negative effects, then does it matter whether or not you can identify the mechanism that is creating the benefit?

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Working...
                              X