Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calves

Hey Guys,

Does anyone have any alternative calf exercises?

I have a knee injury that is aggravated if I lock my knees during typical calf exercises and my gym doesn't have a seated machine.

Any ideas on exercises that don't require the knees to be locked out?

Cheers

Originally posted by Juppy View Post
    Hey Guys,

Does anyone have any alternative calf exercises?

I have a knee injury that is aggravated if I lock my knees during typical calf exercises and my gym doesn't have a seated machine.

Any ideas on exercises that don't require the knees to be locked out?

Cheers
    OK, gonna call it as I see it here...

You shouldn't be ***locking out* your knees entirely when doing any exercise for the most part.

If you are, then I'd just not do that. However, if you have an injury that serious, you're probably not going to be able to do DC training safely (wrt. that knee).

Heck, if you're experienced enough to do DC training, you should know not to be locking out your knees. Also, your gym is likely no equipped well enough for doing DC if you don't have a seated calf machine.

On the other hand, if you're experienced enough for DC training, you should know your way around the gym to be able to come up with an alternative way to do seated calf training (I can think of three off-hand).

Sorry for being a party-pooper, but that's what I'm seeing here...

-S
    The Book Has Arrived!
    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Try body weight only calf raises for about 100 reps or more, rest pausing for a few moments if you need to. If you are doing these off a platform, don't lower your feet below an imaginary floor as that would probably cause you to lock your knees.

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
        OK, gonna call it as I see it here...

You shouldn't be ***locking out* your knees entirely when doing any exercise for the most part.

If you are, then I'd just not do that. However, if you have an injury that serious, you're probably not going to be able to do DC training safely (wrt. that knee).

Heck, if you're experienced enough to do DC training, you should know not to be locking out your knees. Also, your gym is likely no equipped well enough for doing DC if you don't have a seated calf machine.

On the other hand, if you're experienced enough for DC training, you should know your way around the gym to be able to come up with an alternative way to do seated calf training (I can think of three off-hand).

Sorry for being a party-pooper, but that's what I'm seeing here...

-S
        Ok, some fair questions are in there.
        Perhaps locking out is the wrong way to describe the typical position you would be in for calf raises/ toes presses on the leg press etc. but let's be honest you need your legs pretty straight, but maybe that's just me?

the knee injury isn't too bad, I can squat to full, ass to the ground depth.
        The gym is OK, the seated calf is about the only thing missing, which of course there are a number of different seated alternatives. Eg barbell or EZ bar across the top of the legs or even just some plates. I will admit that I'm a little rusty on exercise knowledge as I have had a long layoff and when your used to having different machines you forget these things.
        I wasn't looking for just seated options. It was a question to see if there was something different out there that people are doing.
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Juppy View Post
          Ok, some fair questions are in there.
          Perhaps locking out is the wrong way to describe the typical position you would be in for calf raises/ toes presses on the leg press etc. but let's be honest you need your legs pretty straight, but maybe that's just me?
          I dunno, but if you can't hold the weight needed for calf training with an extended knee d/t the injury, it sounds pretty bad.

the knee injury isn't too bad, I can squat to full, ass to the ground depth.
          With how much weight?...

The gym is OK, the seated calf is about the only thing missing, which of course there are a number of different seated alternatives.
          Seated alternatives or alternatives to seated?...

Eg barbell or EZ bar across the top of the legs or even just some plates.
          Yep.

I will admit that I'm a little rusty on exercise knowledge as I have had a long layoff and when your used to having different machines you forget these things.
          I wasn't looking for just seated options. It was a question to see if there was something different out there that people are doing.
          Thanks
          You're looking for bent knee options which will likely be seated, I think, when it comes to calf presses...

DC training isn't meant to be done with injuries - it really isn't. If you've got some tendonitis or what have you and you can still training with a normal exercise selection, that's one thing. When you have a joint that's injured in the way you're describing, you're asking for trouble if you're really going to do DC training.

(Of course, and I'm not pointing this at you, Juppy, as I don't know your training history - a lot of folks are reading this thread - I get the sense that many people doing DC these days really aren't pushing the limits in the way for which the program was originally designed.)

-S
          The Book Has Arrived!
          The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

I get the sense that many people doing DC these days really aren't pushing the limits in the way for which the program was originally designed.)

-S
            Let me ask you a question Scott (and this is a little off topic in this thread). I do understand that DC is VERY intense and you should be pushing the limits every single lift of EVERY single workout. But if you were able to progress in weight and reps, "Beating the Log Book", but not necessarily going to complete failure every set, would this be acceptable progression for DC style training? I'm sure I know the answer already. I'm only asking, because I too notice this in some logs that I frequent.

BTW, I am still doing the push / pull / legs routine as you recommended. I am not traning DC.
            2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Originally posted by TLopez View Post
              Let me ask you a question Scott (and this is a little off topic in this thread). I do understand that DC is VERY intense and you should be pushing the limits every single lift of EVERY single workout. But if you were able to progress in weight and reps, "Beating the Log Book", but not necessarily going to complete failure every set, would this be acceptable progression for DC style training? I'm sure I know the answer already. I'm only asking, because I too notice this in some logs that I frequent.
              Acceptable is a relative term, but that wouldn't be DC training.

The work sets of DC training are taken to failure (straight sets, RP sets, widowmakers), so if you're holding a rep or two in the tank, my guess is that there's a reason for that, which I'll leave for another thread.

BTW, I am still doing the push / pull / legs routine as you recommended. I am not traning DC.
              -S
              The Book Has Arrived!
              The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

The work sets of DC training are taken to failure (straight sets, RP sets, widowmakers), so if you're holding a rep or two in the tank, my guess is that there's a reason for that, which I'll leave for another thread.

-S
                Exactly what I thought.

I've been noticing guys going up in both weight and reps week after week, which leads me to believe that they are either not going heavy enough or not going to failure on reps, or both. It just seems almost impossible to progress so quickly if you are in fact going to complete failure every single time.

Sorry to derail this thread. Please delete if you deem necessary.
                2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

It just seems almost impossible to progress so quickly if you are in fact going to complete failure every single time.
                  I refute your claim and present myself as evidence!

Srs, it might just be because I'm a mutant or something, but when the weights goes up, I can 90% of the times get more reps, or at least beat the same RP as the past week.

And this is comming from a guy who squats until he has to drop the bar on the pins.
                  "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

-S
                    Just call him a pussy, Scott!
                    Max Muscle
                    5020 Katella Ave.
                    Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                    www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Exactly what I thought.

I've been noticing guys going up in both weight and reps week after week, which leads me to believe that they are either not going heavy enough or not going to failure on reps, or both. It just seems almost impossible to progress so quickly if you are in fact going to complete failure every single time.

Sorry to derail this thread. Please delete if you deem necessary.
                      Originally posted by 0001Delta View Post
                      I refute your claim and present myself as evidence!

Srs, it might just be because I'm a mutant or something, but when the weights goes up, I can 90% of the times get more reps, or at least beat the same RP as the past week.

And this is comming from a guy who squats until he has to drop the bar on the pins.

T-Lo, I am with Delta on this one. Yeah, I might not be jumping up 20 pounds and then crushing my rep ranges every time, but for most exercises over the past few weeks I have progressed in both weights and reps. I have rarely stayed at one weight for more than two training sessions for that bodypart and for a few exercises I keep bumping up the weight and still blowing my rep ranges out of the water. My disclaimer is with shoulders...I have always had difficulty making huge jumps with some shoulder presses.

Delta might agree with me on this, but I think it just comes down to getting into the right mental state where you realize nothing is going to stop for from hitting your numbers. Once you start that set, it is time for war and you better fight to the death.
                      Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                      2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                      2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                        T-Lo, I am with Delta on this one. Yeah, I might not be jumping up 20 pounds and then crushing my rep ranges every time, but for most exercises over the past few weeks I have progressed in both weights and reps. I have rarely stayed at one weight for more than two training sessions for that bodypart and for a few exercises I keep bumping up the weight and still blowing my rep ranges out of the water. My disclaimer is with shoulders...I have always had difficulty making huge jumps with some shoulder presses.

Delta might agree with me on this, but I think it just comes down to getting into the right mental state where you realize nothing is going to stop for from hitting your numbers. Once you start that set, it is time for war and you better fight to the death.
                        Yep, taken the words right out of my head.

When I'm able to make big weight jumps I work myself into a mental state where I'm actually seeing everything in tunnel vision. I have this thing where I tell myself I live to do what other people say is "impossible". So if I'm doing 100 pound db presses and I decide I'm gonna do 120 next time, I damn right gonna do it.

I really think people work agaisnt themselves when it comes to mental state. Most people like to go after "realistical" progress, a concept that actually sets of underachieving ( who the hell has a say in what's realistical or not ).

I think taking sets to absolute failure is also influenced by your mental state. I believe that, when you reach failure, you're actually thinking you did it while you actually have one or two more reps in the tank. Maybe it's an instinct of self-preservation, or maybe is just fear, reason why I only the sets after I have to drop the bar on the pins or safety catches.
                        "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Working...
                        X