Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rep Ranges

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rep Ranges

    Hey I'm trying to get my Doggcrapp program down, I have my favorite exercises for each bodypart I'm just a bit confused on the rep ranges for the body parts. Let me show you what I have then if you could tell me if I'm right or if I need to edit it or what, thanks!

    Chest: 11-15RP
    Shoulders: 11-15RP
    Back Width: 11-15RP
    Back Thickness: Straight 10-12 on rows
    Biceps: 15-20RP, 11-15RP on Preacher Curls
    Forearms: Straight 10-12
    Hamstrings: I'm not quite sure, I've seen Straight 10-12, 20-30RP, need some help on this one lol.
    Quads: Heavy set then 20 rep widowmaker.
    Triceps: 11-15RP, 15-30RP on Extensions

  • #2
    It's not just the body part, it is the specific exercise as well that factors into the rep range. For example, for some shoulder exercises like Smith Military press you might have an 11-15 rep range but for DB presses might use a 20-30 rep range.

    This is one reason why DC is an advanced training program. You need to learn what exercises worn for you within various rep ranges so you can optimally stimulate the muscle. Make sense?
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

    Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

    2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

    Comment


    • #3
      Yeah I understand what you're saying but I'm used to following certain rep ranges and not really thinking about how it hits, you know? (ie. 3x5, 4x8-12). Cause I've been training mostly like a powerlifter so I've been doing the standard sets of 5's and triples and just hitting accessory work without thinking about the muscle really. I was just looking for a basic rep guideline so I know what to start off with and then maybe modify it to what my body will respond to best, like you said. Thank you.

      Comment


      • #4
        There is no such thing as an advanced training program, nor is there a person/group of people that need to approve of your lifting strength before you can do a program. DC relies on the most basic training principles. By saying someone isn't ready for DC is saying they aren't ready to train with basic principles, which pretty much means they shouldn't train at all. And Dante clearly wrote that following his methods is the fastest way to get from skinny to a bodybuilder's physique. I don't understand why anyone would defer someone from going the fastest way to an endpoint. Thats like trying to put a speed limit on the autobahn.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by elbandito View Post
          Yeah I understand what you're saying but I'm used to following certain rep ranges and not really thinking about how it hits, you know? (ie. 3x5, 4x8-12). Cause I've been training mostly like a powerlifter so I've been doing the standard sets of 5's and triples and just hitting accessory work without thinking about the muscle really. I was just looking for a basic rep guideline so I know what to start off with and then maybe modify it to what my body will respond to best, like you said. Thank you.
          I'm not even going to respond to fitlover's post since this has been addressed a million times before and that is just straight trolling and going to derail your thread. I will say this though, when you first learn to drive, you aren't going to start off with a Ferrari. You have to get a feel for driving and build the skills needed to drive and enjoy a Ferrari.

          You really can't give a blanket recommendation on rep ranges as these are specific to the individual. You could try out various rep ranges with exercises before you get started doing the full DC program.

          Just think about some of the exercises you'll be using...generally the more stabilization required, like with DBs, the higher the rep range. It is also wise to use a variety of rep ranges for each muscle group. Like for chest, doing two exercises in the 11-15 range and one in the 20-30.

          If you've had injuries, you may need to go a little lighter and hit a higher rep range.

          As for picking a weight, you'll have to get a feel for it, but generally I try to get 1/2 the number of reps in the 2nd RP set as the first and 1/2 as many as the second in the third. So it might be a 7+3+1 or 12+5+3....etc just make sure you reach absolute failure with each RP set.
          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

          Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

          2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
          2015 Beat Cancer!

          Comment


          • #6
            Listen to Mentalflex
            "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
            Buck Brannaman.

            "It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
            'Hanging' Judge PARKER

            "Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
            ~William Bernbach

            Comment


            • #7
              Where did I mention Ferrari? Don't add nonsense to my post and then claim that I'm trolling. Every bodybuilder is like this, in that they have found something that works for them and then insists on keepin it a secret by going on an all out effort to steer people away from their most optimal training program. DC has a bunch of trial and error kinks that need to be worked out for an individual and you really can't say that "hey bro, I think you should do a different program to get ready for this super special program". Otherwise those kinks will never be worked out. Goin to failure points is different from doing straight sets. And you'll never figure out the most optimal rep ranges on DC if you don't go out there and try it on your own.

              No disrespect, but lets be real here... It ain't a special program.
              Last edited by fitlover; 01-17-2013, 03:30 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by fitlover View Post
                Where did I mention Ferrari? Don't add nonsense to my post and then claim that I'm trolling. Every bodybuilder is like this, in that they have found something that works for them and then insists on keepin it a secret by going on an all out effort to steer people away from their most optimal training program. DC has a bunch of trial and error kinks that need to be worked out for an individual and you really can't say that "hey bro, I think you should do a different program to get ready for this super special program". Otherwise those kinks will never be worked out. Goin to failure points is different from doing straight sets. And you'll never figure out the most optimal rep ranges on DC if you don't go out there and try it on your own.

                No disrespect, but lets be real here... It ain't a special program.
                We know Mentals credentials. What are yours?
                SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

                - Success is the best revenge

                Comment


                • #9
                  Ooooh this is getting good! :pop2:
                  Wanna save $$$ on your next protein purchase? Use TES117 for 5% off your order at www.truenutrition.com.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Fitlover does speak some truth in that there is a bit trial and error.

                    Over the last year or so I developed back issues which forced me to modify my working sets for legs. I don't do the prescribed 4-6 rep range for squats anymore - I like being able to walk upright the next day I've instead upped the rep range to around 8-10 and dropped the weight down. But then again, maybe this means I'm not following DC anymore
                    2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Figure & Overall
                    2013 NPC Rhode Island - 1st Figure
                    2012 NPC Emerald Cup - 2nd Figure
                    2010 NPC Northwest Championships - 4th Figure

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                      We know Mentals credentials. What are yours?
                      since you asked...

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKYLk...W172pg&index=3

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh0SG...172pg&index=19

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWaii...W172pg&index=1

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzovD...fmkHGxnDW172pg

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        How tall are you fitlover??? nexa may have competition for shortest fe-midget here.
                        PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Your lifts are damn impressive for sure. But this is a DC thread, I don't think you are qualified to give out advice.
                          SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

                          - Success is the best revenge

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by redskull View Post
                            how tall are you fitlover??? Nexa may have competition for shortest fe-midget here.
                            5'2''

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Rco View Post
                              Fitlover does speak some truth in that there is a bit trial and error.

                              Over the last year or so I developed back issues which forced me to modify my working sets for legs. I don't do the prescribed 4-6 rep range for squats anymore - I like being able to walk upright the next day I've instead upped the rep range to around 8-10 and dropped the weight down. But then again, maybe this means I'm not following DC anymore
                              There is a bit of trial and error but you need to develop the foundation before getting into DC. You are telling me some person who just started training is going to be able to push their absolute physical limit at three failure points in RP set then be able to pick them up again and do a static hold for as long as they can?

                              DC is taxing mentally and physically and you need to be able to understand your body, know when to cruise, what exercises feel better in certain rep ranges, when you need to take a day off to extend a blast, how to lay out the program, and be able to train with pretty damn high level of intensity.

                              Dante, Homonunculus, massive G, SweatMachine, kidrock, superD, scott McDonough, bigdownunder, Dusty Hanshaw, sammich...and a host of others have all emphasized the importance of having a solid foundation and a good amount of training experience before starting DC because you won't be able to get the most out of the program as you could have, had you taken some time and gained the experience.
                              Last edited by mentalflex; 01-17-2013, 09:17 PM.
                              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

                              Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

                              2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                              2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                              2015 Beat Cancer!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X