Pound Puppy Critique/Assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pound Puppy Critique/Assistance

First off, for sake of introductions let me introduce myself.

I am 23 years old, 5'11, 205 lbs, around 15% BF. I have trained since I was 15 with serious dedication, and decided to take the DC plunge when I was 19. After a year of training DC with great success, I was in a terrible car accident where my friend fell asleep behind the wheel and I was in a coma for 2 weeks. Following the accident I was required to have shoulder surgery and became addicted to pain medication. Without working out, I had nothing. I was miserable to say the least.

Fast forward a year of physical therapy, addiction, and recovery (I opted for a 6 month program to ensure I was done with pain meds for good), I have been training seriously for a year and have made a comeback (no thanks to muscle memory, eating big, lifting heavy weights, and avoiding all substances). I have never been a fan of volume training, so have been on a consistent 5x5 push/pull routine focusing on heavy lifts. I feel better, stronger, and more dedicated than ever. I believe the accident has only made me more dedicated than before.

I believe I am ready to take the DC plunge again, and although I researched it for several months prior to beginning my first blast, I decided I would revisit all my word files, stickies and bookmarks to refresh my memory. Mind you I have been incorporating most extreme stretches, DC dieting principles, and exercises into my 5x5 program for the past 6 months. Below is my blast. Please critique it for me and let me know if you have any feedback or assistance.

TL;DR: I have trained DC before with great results, was in a car accident and took a long road to recovery. I'm feeling better than ever and would like to take the DC plunge again.

Edit: Spelling

A1
    HS Incline Press 11-15 RP
    Smith Shoulder Press 15-20 RP
    Weighted Dips 15-30 RP
    Wide Grip Pull Downs 11-15 RP
    Deadlift 6-8 + 10-12 SS

B1
    Seated Barbell Curls (Short Bar) 11-20 RP
    Lying Rope Hammer Curls 10-20 SS
    Leg Press Calf Raises 10-12 DC Style
    Sumo Leg Press 15-25 SS
    Hack Squats 6-10 SS, 20-25 WM

A2
    Incline DB Presses 20-30 RP
    HS Shoulder Press 11-15 RP
    Reverse Grip Smith Press 11-15 RP
    HS High Rows 11-15 RP
    T-Bar Rows 6-9 SS + 10-15 SS

B2
    Alt. DB Curls 11-20 RP
    Reverse Grip Preacher Curls 10-20 SS
    Hoist Seated Calf Machine 10-12 DC Style
    Leg Press 6-10 SS, 20-25 WM
    RDL Ascending Sets of 6

A3
    Smith Incline Press 11-15 RP
    DB Shoulder Press 20-30 RP
    Floor Skullcrushers/PJR Pullovers 20-30 RP (Still Deciding)
    Underhand Grip Chins 11-15 RP
    Yates Rows 6-8 SS + 10-12 SS

B3
    BB Drag Curls 11-20 RP
    Pinwheel Curls 10-20 SS
    Hack Squat Calf Raises 10-12 DC Style
    Lying Leg Curls 15-30 RP
    Squat 4-8 SS, 20-25 WM

I still have a week prior to starting my blast. I will be trying various DC exercises during this week to see if I want to change anything - gotta be sure!

I am open to constructive criticism. Tried to space out RDLs/Deadlifts/Squats as much as possible to take care of the lower back - but I'm young so I think I can handle it.
    Last edited by Boddika; 01-06-2013, 11:23 PM.

Well, first let me say congratulations on kicking your addiction and kudos to you for re-dedicating yourself to training after the accident you were involved in.

I have a few questions to help start the discussion:

Has the car accident left you with any nagging injuries that need to be considered?

How did you fair the first time you did a DC routine? For example, what weights did you start with and what did you end with (or what was the highest you got before stalling)? Also, what were your phsyical changes? Do you have any pictures showing your progress?

How much strength have you gained back since your accident?

Can you post up what your current best lifts are for a few major exercises?

Do you have any current pics you can post?

You said you first started DC at 19. Do you think you were ready for DC then? What lessons did you gain from that experience? What kind of training did you do prior to DC?

Being that you have only been training hard now for about a year and I'm not quite sure at what level you are at in terms of your training history, it is difficult to say that DC is the best program for you now and you might be better off building up your strength again before jumping into DC.

Sammich made the post below in another thread (http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthr...35#post1008835) that I feel is relevant here:

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
    I'm gonna be the devil's advocate here. With full disclosure that I'm disagreeing with the official DC trainer: In my (limited) opinion, even though you definitely have the strength, given your relative lack of experience and longevity in this enterprise, I think you might be better served using other methods instead of DC Training.

Here is my reasoning: Even though you are extremely strong, you are still young and relatively inexperienced. Your body and central nervous system still have a long way to go in terms of sheer experience. It tends to take quite some time to learn one's body enough to be able to push yourself to the limit enough to get the most out of DC training. It has been my experience that being 19/20 (and the inexperience that inevitably accompanies it) always trumps the 605 deadlift and 535 squat. I honestly think you would get better gains out of some other program.

That being said, I still think DC training will be good for you, even though I suspect other training methods might be even more productive for you at this time.
    Now, the individual Sammich is referring to has spent 3 years doing some pretty hardcore training under a good coach and has taken his stength to a pretty damn good level, but just because he is strong and has worked learned effective training methodology, does not neccessarily mean he is ready to jump into DC because of the relative lack of experience with training.
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
      Well, first let me say congratulations on kicking your addiction and kudos to you for re-dedicating yourself to training after the accident you were involved in.

I have a few questions to help start the discussion:

Has the car accident left you with any nagging injuries that need to be considered? I've always had relatively weak shoulders from baseball when I was younger - but it's almost as if the surgery helped that (combine with dante's shoulder cure) So no. I've noticed a relative strength increase on my shoulder press on both the smith machine and hammer strength (in my memory I don't recall ever getting to 3 plates per side on the HS)

How did you fair the first time you did a DC routine? For example, what weights did you start with and what did you end with (or what was the highest you got before stalling)? Also, what were your phsyical changes? Do you have any pictures showing your progress?
      The last time I did DC, I was up to 220 pounds. Granted, I am only 205 now - but the strength is there without the fat. Im eating alot healthier now but keeping the calories up. I never got a chance to "stall" per say because of the accident. I only changed exercises very few times. My log indicates 5 exercise changes in that year. I can post pictures later tonight, I've had class all day but wanted to respond to your questions.

How much strength have you gained back since your accident?
      I'm hovering around 40 lbs under my 1RM's for Deadlifts (505 right now) and Squatting (375 right now). I started incorporating Widowmakers into my push/pull routine and saw and immediate jump in leg strength and size. My legs/calves have always been a shining point in my physique. Im fitting into all my old clothes again. Mind you, I was down to 172.5 my sophomore year of college and stayed there until the past year. So 32.5 pounds isnt half bad. I don't bench and haven't in several years because of DC principles.

Can you post up what your current best lifts are for a few major exercises?
      See above

Do you have any current pics you can post?

You said you first started DC at 19. Do you think you were ready for DC then? What lessons did you gain from that experience? What kind of training did you do prior to DC?
      Sure, I've grown alot since then. But my training was my main focal point like it is now, nothing else existed. I've come across many distractions and obstacles and feel I am a stronger person both mentally and physically with the increase in years.

Being that you have only been training hard now for about a year and I'm not quite sure at what level you are at in terms of your training history, it is difficult to say that DC is the best program for you now and you might be better off building up your strength again before jumping into DC.

Sammich made the post below in another thread (http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthr...35#post1008835) that I feel is relevant here:

Now, the individual Sammich is referring to has spent 3 years doing some pretty hardcore training under a good coach and has taken his stength to a pretty damn good level, but just because he is strong and has worked learned effective training methodology, does not neccessarily mean he is ready to jump into DC because of the relative lack of experience with training.
      I can see your points here and am considering them greatly, as DC takes a serious commitment. My main concern over the past 4 months has been... If I am eating DC, training with DC type exercises, incorporating Widowmakers, and lifting to failure with mostly all compound movements (no isolation exercises, literally).. Why not go the whole 9 yards? I could continue the program I am on and probably enjoy the same success I have been seeing, but I want to maximize those gains and get every last bit my body has to offer while my testosterone is still flowing strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Boddika View Post
        I can see your points here and am considering them greatly, as DC takes a serious commitment. My main concern over the past 4 months has been... If I am eating DC, training with DC type exercises, incorporating Widowmakers, and lifting to failure with mostly all compound movements (no isolation exercises, literally).. Why not go the whole 9 yards? I could continue the program I am on and probably enjoy the same success I have been seeing, but I want to maximize those gains and get every last bit my body has to offer while my testosterone is still flowing strong.

I can see both sides of the coin here. As you note above, you've been using the DC principles and are now ready to hit it full bore, but on the other hand you might be better off, and would derive the greatest benefit from DC by spending a few more months getting your strength up and ensuring your body is physically ready.

Would you make good gains given you put forth the true effort required with DC, absolutely! But might you be able to make better gains in the long run by spending a few more months learning about your body and how to once again push yourself to the limit?

I think once you post up some pics it will help make a determination as to whether it will be in your best interest to go all out with DC or take another approach for a little while.

And I know you said you are yound and feel you can handle doing SLDLs, deadlifts and squats, but the carryover you might experience from one exercise to the next might take away from the gains you could be getting if you selected a different exercise. Personally, I love rack deads for back thickness. You can really focus on the contraction without too much emphasis on your hammies and can use a good amount of weight to provide a maximum stimulus.

You can always swap an exercise in later, but it would suck to have to cut a blast short because your body is getting beat up to quick.
        Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
        2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
        2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Working...
        X