First time doing DC.. here's what I came up with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time doing DC.. here's what I came up with

5'10, 205lbs, 10% bodyfat. 19 years old (soon to be 20). 3 years training seriously for powerlifting (trained by Josh Bryant), this will be my first time on a pure bodybuilding routine, but I've done high rep accessory work in the past.

Best lifts:
    Deadlift: 675x1 w/ reverse bands, 605x1, 585x2, 495x9
    Squat: 535x1, 475x3, 455x6
    Bench: 345x1, 275x6
    Incline: 225x10
    OHP: 185x5, 205x3
    DB bench: 120sx8
    Leg press: 9ppsx20 reps
    One arm DB row: 140x12 each side

Here's what I came up for with my DC split:

Day A1:
    Incline DB Press 20-30RP
    BTN Press 15-20RP
    PJR Pullover 20-30RP
    Neutral-grip Pulldowns 15-30RP
    Meadows Rows 1 heavy set of 8-12 reps; 1 even heavier set of 6-8 reps. Straight sets.

Day B1:
    DB Curls 20-30RP
    Pinwheel Curls 11-20SS ( straight set )
    Standing Calf Machine 11-12SS
    Standing Ham Curl 15-30RP
    Back Squat 1 "moderate" set 10-12 reps; 1 "heavy" set 6-8 reps; 1 "heavier" set 4-6 reps, 1 widowmaker 20-25 reps.

Day A2:
    Incline Barbell Press 11-15RP
    DB shoulder press 20-30RP
    Reverse Grip Bench Press in Smith Machine 12-20RP (push against machine)
    Rack Chins 15-20RP
    Rack Pull w/ Shrug, 1 "heavy" set 8-12 reps; 1 heavier set 4-8 reps.

Day B2:
    Preacher Curls 20-30RP
    Reverse Cable Curls 11-20SS
    Leg Press Calf Raises 11-12SS
    Front Squats 1 "moderate" set 10-12 reps; 1 "heavy" set 6-8 reps; 1 "heavier" set 4-6 reps ( widows are done in a different machine for safety )
    Hack Squat widowmaker 20-30 reps
    RDLs ascending sets of 6

Day A3:
    Flat DB bench 11-20RP
    Hammer Strength Shoulder Press 15-20RP
    Weighted Dips 15-30RP
    Wide Grip Pulldowns 20-30RP
    Deadlifts 1 heavy set 4-8 reps; 1 heavier set 8-12 reps

Day B3:
    Incline Curl 20-30RP
    Lying Rope Hammer Curl 11-20SS
    Hammer strength calf raise 11-12SS
    Lying Ham Curl 15-30RP
    SSB Squat 1x8-12SS; 1x6-8SS; 1x4-8SS
    leg press 1xwidowmaker 20-30 reps (different leg press)
    Attached Files
    OmegaWolf
    Last edited by OmegaWolf; 01-04-2013, 11:09 PM.

Welcome!

You sound like a beast, post some vids. NEED SOME MOTIVATION, BABY!
    Max Muscle
    5020 Katella Ave.
    Los Alamitos, CA 90720
    www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
      Welcome!

You sound like a beast, post some vids. NEED SOME MOTIVATION, BABY!
      Thanks bro. Though I don't really see myself as a beast, you should see the guys I lift with lol.

I'll try to get some videos up. Usually have my training partners take them because I use my phone as an MP3 player.

Any changes I should make to this split, or is it GTG? Thanks in advance

Comment

pretty beast @ 20 and that weight. whats your background?

Comment

Omega, it looks like you did your homework brother I went back through some old posts of yours and saw it looks like you've watched a few DC training DVDs, correct?

I would really like to hear what Homonunculus has to say, because for your age you certainly have some impressive numbers and are pretty advanced. He is the one to go to when trying to decide whether or not DC is the right training style...so it would be interesting to hear what he has to say.

From what I can see, the only issue you might run into is the RDLs in B2 and deadlifts in A3. The ascending set technique will destroy your hammies and is pretty taxing on your lower back too. I mean, seriously, it feels like someone took an axe to the back of your legs when you get done with them lol (they are one of my favorite things about DC ). So decide on how you want to switch or swap exercises there but with everything else, from what I can see, it looks good man.
          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by OmegaWolf View Post
            5'10, 205lbs, 10% bodyfat. 19 years old (soon to be 20). 3 years training seriously for powerlifting (trained by Josh Bryant), this will be my first time on a pure bodybuilding routine, but I've done high rep accessory work in the past.

Best lifts:
            Deadlift: 675x1 w/ reverse bands, 605x1, 585x2, 495x9
            Squat: 535x1, 475x3, 455x6
            Bench: 345x1, 275x6
            Incline: 225x10
            OHP: 185x5, 205x3
            DB bench: 120sx8
            Leg press: 9ppsx20 reps
            One arm DB row: 140x12 each side
            Originally posted by mentalflex View Post

I would really like to hear what Homonunculus has to say, because for your age you certainly have some impressive numbers and are pretty advanced. He is the one to go to when trying to decide whether or not DC is the right training style...so it would be interesting to hear what he has to say.
            Sounds to me, given those lifts and that OW's been training for 3 years (and training with Josh is serious stuff from what I understand), that he'd have my go ahead to be able to give DC a good run, for sure.

OW, I'd be interested to hear a couple things, actually.

Were you able to notice any growth when incorporating the high rep accessory work?... (Did you get the impression you gained size in doing so?...)

Josh B. works with JOJ and Branch on occasion and they do high rep stuff (at least according to the videos that are out there, which may not reflect the real deal entirely)... Why not use Josh's approach for BB'ing?...

Two ways to think about this at this point, IMO, when selecting a program:

-DC is much more aking to PL'ing that a high volume program, so the transition will be simple and if you can tell that this approach will likely work, go for it...

-Given you've never done an "pure" BB'ing oriented program before, a high volume approach, being so different and thus novel for you (aside from the high vol. accessory lifts) might work really well. (See question above.)

So, OW, my take is that you'll be able to give DC a hell of a go for sure, but if your training history / experiences suggests that a high volume approach might work, then I'd not ignore that. Like Stan Efferding (and JOJ) - they seem to have some reason for switching training styles when training for different goals, although I don't how much that's based on their own experiences / intuitions vs. what they got into the habit of doing or were told was the way to go about it. (I vaguely recall an interview with Stan where he was praising Flex Wheeler for helping him to break away from his PL'ing mentality when training for BB'ing, which helped him get is Pro Card...)

-S
            The Book Has Arrived!
            The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
            2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
            2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Looking good. I was about the same age, weight, and height when I started my first DC routine. If you put in the time, stay persistent, and focus on your goals, age will not limit you from achieving your goals.

Comment

Damn strong... I'm same height and weight currently ~12% BF. It would seem with those numbers you would be way larger than I. Curious of your measurements. IE ARMS/CHEST/SHOULDER/THIGH/CALVES/WAIST etc...

I would say w/ that strength you are def ready for a mass building routine. I'm looking to start DC sometime 4th quarter 2013 as I'm still making progress w/ a low volume 5x5 atm.
                13B-T
                Intense Muscle Competitor
                Last edited by 13B-T; 01-06-2013, 07:38 PM.

Comment

I'm gonna be the devil's advocate here. With full disclosure that I'm disagreeing with the official DC trainer: In my (limited) opinion, even though you definitely have the strength, given your relative lack of experience and longevity in this enterprise, I think you might be better served using other methods instead of DC Training.

Here is my reasoning: Even though you are extremely strong, you are still young and relatively inexperienced. Your body and central nervous system still have a long way to go in terms of sheer experience. It tends to take quite some time to learn one's body enough to be able to push yourself to the limit enough to get the most out of DC training. It has been my experience that being 19/20 (and the inexperience that inevitably accompanies it) always trumps the 605 deadlift and 535 squat. I honestly think you would get better gains out of some other program.

That being said, I still think DC training will be good for you, even though I suspect other training methods might be even more productive for you at this time.
                  Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                  kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                    I'm gonna be the devil's advocate here. With full disclosure that I'm disagreeing with the official DC trainer: In my (limited) opinion, even though you definitely have the strength, given your relative lack of experience and longevity in this enterprise, I think you might be better served using other methods instead of DC Training.

Here is my reasoning: Even though you are extremely strong, you are still young and relatively inexperienced. Your body and central nervous system still have a long way to go in terms of sheer experience. It tends to take quite some time to learn one's body enough to be able to push yourself to the limit enough to get the most out of DC training. It has been my experience that being 19/20 (and the inexperience that inevitably accompanies it) always trumps the 605 deadlift and 535 squat. I honestly think you would get better gains out of some other program.

That being said, I still think DC training will be good for you, even though I suspect other training methods might be even more productive for you at this time.
                    Sammy,

Sounds to me like we don't disagree at all. I think he'll be able to give DC a good go (like you, I think), but have some questions that would need answering before knowing if that be his best option... Were he my client, we'd be talking a bit more... :-)

-S
                    The Book Has Arrived!
                    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                      Omega, it looks like you did your homework brother I went back through some old posts of yours and saw it looks like you've watched a few DC training DVDs, correct?

From what I can see, the only issue you might run into is the RDLs in B2 and deadlifts in A3. The ascending set technique will destroy your hammies and is pretty taxing on your lower back too. I mean, seriously, it feels like someone took an axe to the back of your legs when you get done with them lol (they are one of my favorite things about DC ). So decide on how you want to switch or swap exercises there but with everything else, from what I can see, it looks good man.
                      Yep, I have Jason Wojo's DVD, and Justin Harris's Project Superheavyweight. The latter probably being my favorite BBing training DVD. Still need to pick up David Henry's DVD..

And you're right, good catch. I think I may just save those for a later blast, can't find an ideal place to put them inbetween squats, deads, and rack deads (which also stress my hams a lot). My hamstrings are one of my strong points anyhow from powerlifting. I'll probably switch it up to weighted GHRs. Thanks for the help

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                      Sounds to me, given those lifts and that OW's been training for 3 years (and training with Josh is serious stuff from what I understand), that he'd have my go ahead to be able to give DC a good run, for sure.

OW, I'd be interested to hear a couple things, actually.

Were you able to notice any growth when incorporating the high rep accessory work?... (Did you get the impression you gained size in doing so?...)

Josh B. works with JOJ and Branch on occasion and they do high rep stuff (at least according to the videos that are out there, which may not reflect the real deal entirely)... Why not use Josh's approach for BB'ing?...

Two ways to think about this at this point, IMO, when selecting a program:

-DC is much more aking to PL'ing that a high volume program, so the transition will be simple and if you can tell that this approach will likely work, go for it...

-Given you've never done an "pure" BB'ing oriented program before, a high volume approach, being so different and thus novel for you (aside from the high vol. accessory lifts) might work really well. (See question above.)

So, OW, my take is that you'll be able to give DC a hell of a go for sure, but if your training history / experiences suggests that a high volume approach might work, then I'd not ignore that. Like Stan Efferding (and JOJ) - they seem to have some reason for switching training styles when training for different goals, although I don't how much that's based on their own experiences / intuitions vs. what they got into the habit of doing or were told was the way to go about it. (I vaguely recall an interview with Stan where he was praising Flex Wheeler for helping him to break away from his PL'ing mentality when training for BB'ing, which helped him get is Pro Card...)

-S
                      Thanks for taking time to reply.
                      When I've incorporated high rep accessory work, I did see some progress (especially rear delts), but after doing a lot of thinking, I think I've only been able to grow when I use really heavy weights. I remember there was a 2-3 month period where I put powerlifting on the back-burner to focus on school and working a hard labor job 70hours, I lifted with more high-reps and made no progress. I lost weight actually. Then I decided to get back into powerlifting and got on one of Josh's programs again, I gained a lot of mass from all the heavy squats, deads, benching.
                      I've also looked better than ever when I was in school the past few months, but I think that had to do with the cardio of walking everywhere around campus. I still hit the main lifts hard and heavy, and did some volume stuff after, but I think the progress came from getting stronger rather than volume. A typical routine was like this:

DB bench: work up to a heavy set of 6-8
                      CG Floor press: 3x6
                      Dips: 3xfailure
                      Rear delts on pec deck: 3x25
                      CG lat pulldowns: 3x8
                      Rope pushdowns: 3x12

And that being said, I enjoy training really heavy over training with lighter weights for volume. That's why I ended up powerlifting rather than on a basic BBing routine. I still feel like I can milk some size out of just strength training, which has given me results in the past. I've also been trying out the rest-pause method on some smaller muscles like biceps, and over the past few weeks I have stretch marks on my biceps, so I think I might respond to that method.

As for Josh's approach to BBing, I considered it, but I can't afford to hire him right now again. If I do another PL meet I will though, he was a great trainer. I just need a change of pace from his routines, and DC is something I've been interested in for a long time. But if you think I'd make better progress on another routine I am definitely going to listen to your advice.

That's a good point on JOJ and Stan Efferding. I know JOJ does really good on Josh Bryant's PLing routines, which are very high volume. I've had success with the same, so maybe the way JOJ trains for BBing might better suit me. But one of the things that attracted me greatly to DC is that the muscle is getting hit twice in 8 days, which I can see will lead to more growth than just once a week. I'm just looking for the most effective plan

Originally posted by 13B-T View Post
                      Damn strong... I'm same height and weight currently ~12% BF. It would seem with those numbers you would be way larger than I. Curious of your measurements. IE ARMS/CHEST/SHOULDER/THIGH/CALVES/WAIST etc...

I would say w/ that strength you are def ready for a mass building routine. I'm looking to start DC sometime 4th quarter 2013 as I'm still making progress w/ a low volume 5x5 atm.
                      Thanks bro. And I've never measured so I can't tell you honestly. I think the last time I measured my arms were 17.5 and they're definitely bigger now

Originally posted by Sammich View Post

Thanks for your reply, Sammich. I agree with you, this is something I've taken into account (my experience level, etc.). There's no way just being strong can make up for the experience decades under the barbell bring. With that said, I don't think I'm a slouch in the intensity department (though every 19/20 year old says that). Before Josh's programming maybe. But he had be constantly pushing my mental and physical limits. Some workouts he would have me do 12 singles, with 30 seconds rest, with 85-90% of my deadlift max, and after than I had to pull a PR on block deadlifts, and then do speed deads, heavy rows, weighted pullups, and abs. And I almost failed to get these weights the last week and the poundages are upped by 10-20. It took a lot of mental toughness. I've also done 20 rep squats before, and hit 315x20, and have done 3 sets of 9pps on the leg press for 20reps.
                      I think one of my problems is that I can push myself extremely hard, and this causes me to frequently overtrain. I've bumped down my volume in the past few weeks after continually getting sick and burnt out, and I feel much better and have been hitting some new PRs. So I feel a lower volume, high intensity approach might benefit me. But then again I responded well to Josh Bryant's high volume, high intensity routines

Thanks again for taking the time to help me guys, I'll definitely listen to all the advice given. I always listen to those who are more experienced than I am, which is part of the reason I've come this far

Comment

hey man first off great lifting numbers. I'm 19 too, you are more advanced than me, but if I may throw out a suggestion anyway, take a look at John Meadow's Mountain Dog Training.

He has a lot of great ideas on sequence of exercises, tweaks to form, intensity techniques, etc. I trained for about 6 months using a lot of his principles and I liked it, saw some good gains.

Some of his stuff is a bit advanced but IMO you are ready for it, plus he has written articles on Intermediate Mountain Dog training, its slightly lower volume and less intensity techniques and rotation of exercises, so you could maybe start with that and see how you like it.

Just an idea, maybe others will chime in

Comment

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26XcXk8GAgo[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

having said that I think your definitely strong enough for DC...

Comment

Hey man, thanks for the suggestion. I have an e-book that I bought from Elitefts, "44 programs that work II", that has a 12 week Mountain Dog training program in it, but I haven't looked into it too much. I know a few guys who have had great results from his programs, though. I do like his Meadows Rows,though, Josh Bryant showed me those. Probably my favorite rowing variation.
                              If the more advanced guys here (homonunculus, Sammich, etc.) think I'd be better suited for a traditional BBing program than DC, than I'd likely give it a shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X