Leg pressing DC style.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leg pressing DC style.

I am due to carry out the 45° leg press tomorrow. Following DC training should one perform this exercise with a high and wide foot placement (targetting hip flexors, hamstrings and glutes more) or a lower and narrow foot placement (greater emphasis on the quads)?

I think I answered my own question yet I wanted to check with you guys.

Also I read that the working set should be 8-12 reps followed by a 20 rep finishing set for leg press and hack squats. Is this correct?

If you are using it as a quad movement and not a hamstring movement, it should be a regular placement of your feet that is comfortable for you and targets the quads. High and wide is more of a sumo press which hits the hamstrings much more....
    STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

It really depends on what you muscle you wanna bring up, or in case you do DC for strength gains, which lift you want more carriover.

For quads: Push seat all the way back, place feet low and together as you can and go really deep ( as deep as you can before your ass starts to come out of the seat). Keep the weight on your heels.

For Hamstrings/Posterior chain: Use whatever seat placement you want, place your feet low and apart ( if you want to target more hamstring over glutes and hips, keep your feet close or together, if your torso/belly or leg press allows it without making you hit your face with your knees) and go as deep as you can until you feel your hams stretch, then reverse the movement, don't lock out. I find this exercise works great on a Vertical Leg Press machine, than on a 45° LP because the plate on the Vertical LP tends to be bigger and really allows you to place your feet high and apart.

Now, if you're doing using DC simply for strength gains... if you squat close-stance do the LP that targets more the quads. If you squat/deadlift sumo, use the sumo LP setting.

Rep range is mostly individual, I think. I don't get nothing out of the leg press if I use 6-8 reps, so I keep everything in the 8-15 rep range.
      "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

WHATEVER MAKES YOU MOVE MORE WEIGHT!!!!!!!!

No but seriously, whatever makes you move more weight.

I forgot where I read it but your "strongest" feet placement is whatever feels natural when you want to test your vertical jump. Pretend you want to jump super high, look down at your feet, that's your width. Mngeh, works for me.
        Max Muscle
        5020 Katella Ave.
        Los Alamitos, CA 90720
        www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Originally posted by Muscle Demon View Post
          I am due to carry out the 45° leg press tomorrow. Following DC training should one perform this exercise with a high and wide foot placement (targetting hip flexors, hamstrings and glutes more) or a lower and narrow foot placement (greater emphasis on the quads)?

I think I answered my own question yet I wanted to check with you guys.

Also I read that the working set should be 8-12 reps followed by a 20 rep finishing set for leg press and hack squats. Is this correct?
          The other guys addressed it but the way I view it is that the foot placement makes it two separate exercises. If you go wide with a sumo style stance, then you will be able to focus on hamstrings, especially if you squeeze your glutes and drive through your heels.

Taking a narrower stance and bringing your feet lower on the platform will place more emphasis on your quads, so this would be a quad exercises.

You can do WMs with this as a quad exercise, so don't feel you need to move to another exercise to do a WM. Personally, I am really able to get into the "power groove" using leg presses for quads and can grind out reps pretty deep into a set.
          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Thank you for posting, I read all of your interesting replies.

I settled for a high and narrow stance which is were I felt most comfortable and had greater strength activation.

Comment

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
              WHATEVER MAKES YOU MOVE MORE WEIGHT!!!!!!!!

No but seriously, whatever makes you move more weight.

I forgot where I read it but your "strongest" feet placement is whatever feels natural when you want to test your vertical jump. Pretend you want to jump super high, look down at your feet, that's your width. Mngeh, works for me.
              The foot-placement for a vertical jump is something I like quite a bit, also for free squats and hack squats.

Comment

Working...
              X