Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grip Problem with Reverse Curls

Hi guys,

Sorry, probably another stupid question - but lately I've incorporated Reverse Barbell Curls as one of my forearm exercises and I seem to be making great progress (probably because I've never really done them before).

The problem, however, is that my grip keeps failing on them before my forearms do. It's like my damn thumbs are too weak to hold the bar near the end of the set. Any ideas on a similar exercise that doesn't use so much grip? I've tried straps, and they help, but don't solve the problem (they help hold the bar, but there is still too much pressure on my thumbs).

I've been straight-setting them for 11-15 reps, and my other two forearm exercises right now are DB Hammer Curls and DB Pinwheels.

Thanks a lot for any help.

I usually just use an EZ curl bar and hold the outer grip. You can kinda just cradle the bar in the notch of your thumb, so it's a good way to keep going if your fingers fail early. Hope this helped.

Comment

What about using straps and not putting your thumbs under the bar? Kinda like suicide grip.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbatron View Post
        I usually just use an EZ curl bar and hold the outer grip. You can kinda just cradle the bar in the notch of your thumb, so it's a good way to keep going if your fingers fail early. Hope this helped.
        Thanks for the help - that's actually what I've been doing. You must have a much stronger grip than me, because my thumbs still can't hold up to the weight.

Originally posted by Quadriceps View Post
        What about using straps and not putting your thumbs under the bar? Kinda like suicide grip.
        I've not tried that - definitely worth a shot. Thanks a lot.

Has anyone tried hooks for this? I've personally never used them at all, but it seems like the extra rigidity may help with reverse curls.

Thanks again for the expert advice.

Comment

I figured someone would have mentioned this by now.

The reverse curl is also a way to train the wrist and finger flexors (gripping and curling muscles) as well as the extensors that are stressed moreso with a reverse curl.

Sounds to me like your flexors could use some strengthening, which may mean that you could use some more meat on the flexor side of the forearm (meaning training that area would make sense). Neither of your two other forearm exercises target the gripping / flexion muscles directly. A nice array for the forearms (Depending on what yours look like and if I'm on target here) would be:

1.) Brachioradialis / Brachialis: Hammer OR pinwheel curls or similar (e.g., cable with rope handle or gripping the handle on plate loaded and selectorized preacher machines in various ways)

2.) Flexors: Wrist and finger flexion exercise / curl (DB, BB, Cable)

3.) Extensors (and B.r. and brachialis, too): Reverse curl of some sort (BB, EZ bar, DB, machine)

-Scott
          The Book Has Arrived!
          The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
          2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
          2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Scott,

Thanks so much for the expert, informed advice. You are exactly right (I think) about my flexor strength (or lack thereof).

I think I will switch up to incorporate your advice asap. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by FNP90 View Post
              Scott,

Thanks so much for the expert, informed advice. You are exactly right (I think) about my flexor strength (or lack thereof).

I think I will switch up to incorporate your advice asap. Thanks again.
              No problemo!

(I'd take an honest look at your forearms, though and evaluate based on that - from the perspective of muscle or lack thereof, as the intent here is bodybuilding. )

-S
              The Book Has Arrived!
              The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
              2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
              2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Not sure if anyone have mentioned this or not but...

You can use take the cable curl and if the have the foam covered handles as opposed to the metal stirrup style handle, then put the handle on the back of your hand. This eliminates the issue of the grip. The same thing can be done with the velcro ankle strap attachments as well.
                FEAR THE FROG

Originally posted by John Broz
                If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

Comment

Working...
                X