Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live and Learn ... Guys over 40 should read this

Hey Guys,

I just started week 9 of DC this week. I turn 41 this Sunday.

Against Dante's post in another thread ... I am training 'heavy' (4 - 6 rep range) on most exercises. (in another thread, Dante say us older guys should be sticking to 8+ reps if I recall correctly)

Anyways ... After yet another successful week of upping the poundages on all my exercises (on some of them, I am talking 20 and 30 pound increases from A-1 to A-1, 2 weeks later) ... I found myself with some 'soreness' in my hips.

Well ... after warming up (and feeling that soreness) I still decided to keep pounding heavy on my leg workout even though a little voice was telling me to back off a little bit just for this week.

Long story short ... I got a severe spasm in my hips, one side real bad.

I have been on ice for extended periods of time for several days now. Lucky for me I did not do any real damage ... just feels like a major bruise.

If I am lucky ... I sill still be able to train legs this week ... but I am mentally prepared to skip it until next week if I need the time to heal.

Bottom line guys ... listen to your body. I made a stupid mistake and got lucky. I could of really damaged myself and been unable to train legs for 6 weeks or more. Just because I did not want to back off a little bit.
    I train Dogg Crapp. When not training DC ... sometimes I train arms 3x to 5x per week. Sometimes I train 'modified dogg crapp' which includes an 'arms only' day.

DaveEboy - Thanks for sharing your little lesson. This just shows that the things that have been preached by the veterans, have been preached for a reason and sooner or later they will catch up to you.

And like you said, listen to your body, because if something doesn't feel right, chances are it isn't.

Dave, maybe foam roll a bit on that? Good luck healing up.
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Thanks Mental .. I have been lightly rolling but aggressively icing and have been healing up extremely nicely and fast. Not to mention 4 grams vitamin C per day.

Guys ... I should mention....when I cramped .... I was bottomed out in hack squat machine.

Yes ... I had literally had to bail out at the bottom of the hack squat as I went down for rep #2.

Then...had the humiliation of unloading the entire machine so it was empty, then re-rack it at the top with pushing of my hands as the hip spasm left me so jacked up I could not even bring the sled out of the bottom position with NO weight. Ugh.
      I train Dogg Crapp. When not training DC ... sometimes I train arms 3x to 5x per week. Sometimes I train 'modified dogg crapp' which includes an 'arms only' day.

Comment

Menatl is very well versed for a young guy, listen, you are posting things that have been posted a million times over. I'm not sure if you're looking for attention, reassurance or.......... I don't even train DC any more but your redundant posts are becoming exhausting. The next post may be an injury, follow the program and common sense. This stuff isn't rocket surgery.
        For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

GUYS OVER 34 SHOULD READ THIS!

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=26753
          Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

Originally posted by Heckman View Post
            AWESOME, I don't turn 34 until next year! Blast Away
            For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Originally posted by DaveEboy View Post
              Hey Guys,

I just started week 9 of DC this week. I turn 41 this Sunday.

Against Dante's post in another thread ... I am training 'heavy' (4 - 6 rep range) on most exercises. (in another thread, Dante say us older guys should be sticking to 8+ reps if I recall correctly)
              What do you mean by the above actually ("most exercises")?...

-S
              The Book Has Arrived!
              The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
              2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
              2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by DCBliever View Post
                Menatl is very well versed for a young guy, listen, you are posting things that have been posted a million times over. I'm not sure if you're looking for attention, reassurance or.......... I don't even train DC any more but your redundant posts are becoming exhausting. The next post may be an injury, follow the program and common sense. This stuff isn't rocket surgery.
                LMAO! Open heart surgery on a rocket is definitely some hard shit. I heard a rumor you might know how to handle something like that...:plane:
                Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

DCBliever ... you are so 'cool' man. Your ridiculous uncalled for rant attack on my 'redundant posts' that are 'exhausting' ... very nice.

Can't believe you don't even turn 34 until next year ... you are wise beyond your years.

Now ... seriously ... if you did not notice, JackA$$ ... my post was in the pound puppy forum. I don't think sharing a personal experience for safety's sake with fellow newbie DC'ers is redundant.

Comment

homonunculus ... Since you ask ...

On biceps and triceps ... I keep the reps higher, more like 8 - 10 on the first working set.

There have only been a few times that my 'bigger' movement exercises have been 4 reps, just an enthusiastic mistake. Most often they are 6 or 7, sometimes 5.

I realize now that my original post made it seem like I was doing ALL exercises in the 4 to 6 rep range. Thanks for checking ... but no, far from that really.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveEboy View Post
                      homonunculus ... Since you ask ...

On biceps and triceps ... I keep the reps higher, more like 8 - 10 on the first working set.

There have only been a few times that my 'bigger' movement exercises have been 4 reps, just an enthusiastic mistake. Most often they are 6 or 7, sometimes 5.

I realize now that my original post made it seem like I was doing ALL exercises in the 4 to 6 rep range. Thanks for checking ... but no, far from that really.
                      For clarity, when you are using these numbers, like 8-10 or 4 to 6, are you talking about the first point of failure or first rest-pause within the the set?

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

First set in the rest\pause '3 set' series of the 'working' sets.

Bi's &n tri's 8 - 10
                        chest\back\shoulders 6 - 8 reps ( I know, I should be 8 - 10 here )
                        legs usually 8 - 10 , but on regular squats I have been going as low as 5 ( I have '4-plates' in my sights )
                        Deadlifts - 5 on the heavy
                        Rack pulls - 6 on the heavy
                        pull ups and dips - with added weight - 5 reps on the first, then I drop weight and by the time I do the 3rd and final set, I am bodyweight only

Comment

Why don't you post what your rep ranges are in total, say 20-30 r/p for biceps/tricepos movements, 15-25 on big bodypart movements, etc.....Whatever bodypart you're doing, it's the overall rep range that you are after.....
                          STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Good point Steel. On average, for bi's and tri's I am getting 18 - 22 reps per exercise per workout. (10 - 7 - 5 for example)
                            For bigger body parts ... probably 14 - 18 reps. ( 7 - 5 - 3 as an example)

minus the exceptions, like squats, hacks, smith squats where I do the heavy (5 reps on squats, 8 - 10 on the others) set and finish with the widowmaker set.
                            and other exceptions:
                            Good Mornings I usually do a 12 rep set and an 8 rep set.
                            Rack pulls a 6 rep set, and a 8 rep set
                            Deadlifts a 5 rep followed by a 10 rep lighter set

Even though Dante suggests straight sets for bent over barbell rows and t-bar rows ... I still follow the 3 set protocol. I am just a stickler for form on these so I feel confident to perform them like the other exercises. Now that thinking may change as I get heavier on exercises that are that lower back intensive.

Comment

I dont understand, why put this down as being caused by age, could have happened at any age. at 21 if you feel something off you dont continue on ,same as 61. sounds like a lesson to learn regardless of age.

Comment

Working...
                              X