Beer and Bodybuilding...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
    He asked about beer and bodybuilding. Beer is practically required for powerlifting.
    PL should be using booze mixed with TeanSkip as PWO!
    You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

Originally posted by RageBlanket View Post
      PL should be using booze mixed with TeanSkip as PWO!
      Pretty sure Anadrol, whiskey, and whey is the secret to squatting 1000.
      Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
      kind of a douche

Comment

Maybe a bit off the bodybuilding subject, but a friend of mine got to work out once with "Kaz" and they drank beer throughout the workout... True story, and I'm told that is typically part of his workout regimen. New meaning to pre-intra-post...

Comment

Originally posted by pearlharbor1207 View Post
          Maybe a bit off the bodybuilding subject, but a friend of mine got to work out once with "Kaz" and they drank beer throughout the workout... True story, and I'm told that is typically part of his workout regimen. New meaning to pre-intra-post...
          I heard that one too. Supposedly all oldschool strongmen drank a shitload. Reason was most of them was injuried beyond repair and the booze allowed them to train/compete pain free for a while.
          "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

I'm going to start doing my cardio drunk.....or maybe drunk crossfit.
            2005 HOA Natural Classic
            2006 OCB Midwest
            2007 ABA Natural Illinois
            2008 HOA Natural Classic
            NPC Mid-Illinois
            NPC Midwest Open
            NPC Natural Grand Prix
            2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
            USPA Illinois State
            NGA Heart of America
            NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

Originally posted by breck View Post
              I'm going to start doing my cardio drunk.....or maybe drunk crossfit.
              BUTbutbubutbutbut it's not PAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOO

(I have no idea if it is but I doubt it is)

Comment

Originally posted by youngbb View Post
                BUTbutbubutbutbut it's not PAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOO

(I have no idea if it is but I doubt it is)

My paleo friends drink on their cheat days.

I know because they announce it on facespace and IRL.
                #docswholift
                PGY-1 FM
                "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

a glass of wine during my 1 weekly cheat meal ...thats it results are more improtant to me then booze or going out wasting time at a club, bar, or lounge

out all night- catabolic
                  drinking- catabolic
                  spending money that can be better spent on food or "supps"

Comment

Originally posted by Sflex View Post
                    a glass of wine during my 1 weekly cheat meal ...thats it results are more improtant to me then booze or going out wasting time at a club, bar, or lounge

out all night- catabolic
                    drinking- catabolic
                    spending money that can be better spent on food or "supps"
                    Stressing about what's catabolic- catabolic

Comment

Insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-1 and IGF-binding protein-1 concentrations in serum of normal subjects after alcohol ingestion: evidence for decreased IGF-1 bioavailability.
                      Röjdmark S, Rydvald Y, Aquilonius A, Brismar K.
                      Source
                      Department of Medicine, Endocrinology Section, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm Söder Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden.
                      Abstract
                      OBJECTIVE:
                      Both insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-1 and insulin-like growth factor-binding protein (IGFBP)-1 are synthesized by the liver. It is well known that chronic alcohol abuse impairs liver function, but less is known about how an acute intake of moderate quantities of alcohol affects hepatic production of IGF-1 and IGFBP-1. The objective of the present investigation was to study this issue by measuring serum levels of IGF-1 and IGFBP-1 in normal subjects before, during and after ingestion of a moderate dose of ethanol.
                      SUBJECTS AND DESIGN:
                      Eight healthy subjects were tested on two occasions. On one occasion (experiment A), three 150-ml doses of ordinary drinking-water were given at 08.00, 09.30, and 11.00 h. On another occasion (experiment B), three 150-ml drinks of diluted ethanol were given instead of water. Each drink contained 0.45 g ethanol/kg b.w. Experiments A and B were performed in random order, 1 week apart. Blood samples were collected before, during and after the drinks over a period of 7 h (08.00-15.00 h). One blood sample was also drawn at 08.00 h the following day.
                      MEASUREMENTS:
                      Blood glucose and serum concentrations of ethanol, insulin, growth hormone (GH), IGF-1 and IGFBP-1 were determined.
                      RESULTS:
                      When alcohol had been ingested, the serum ethanol concentration rose to a peak value of 28.6 +/- 0.9 mmol/l (mean +/- SEM). The serum IGF-1 level declined significantly toward the end of the 7-h period. The serum IGFBP-1 level increased promptly in response to ethanol, and reached a maximum 2.7 times above basal as the ethanol level peaked. Neither IGF-1, nor IGFBP-1 levels changed significantly after water intake. The IGF-1 : IGFBP-1 ratio declined markedly after ethanol (from 15.7 +/- 3.9 to 3.9 +/- 0.6; P < 0.01), but not after water intake. The blood glucose and serum levels of insulin and GH were unaffected by both ethanol and water.
                      CONCLUSIONS:
                      Ingestion of moderate amounts of alcohol by healthy individuals results in an acute and profound increase in the serum IGFBP-1 level and a protracted and less powerful decline in the IGF-1 level. The mechanism behind the IGFBP-1 increase is probably a direct effect on the liver, since neither insulin, nor glucose or GH concentrations changed significantly in response to the ethanol challenge.
                      PMID: 10718829 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
                      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10718829
                      Last edited by garciaJJ; 08-17-2012, 06:24 PM.

Comment

I'm going to drink some beer tonight just to spite all of you.

I don't think there is an issue with 1 or 2 beers throughout the day, but the calories (if you're a fatty like me) could be allocated more appropriately..
                        Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
                        FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
                        www.316fit.com
                        Email: jared@316fit.com

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
                          I'm going to drink some beer tonight just to spite all of you.

I don't think there is an issue with 1 or 2 beers throughout the day, but the calories (if you're a fatty like me) could be allocated more appropriately..
                          You won't be spitting this fatty; I had a glass of wine with my steak.
                          You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

God people... Well some people... There is a big difference between something "not helping" and something "hindering". A beer MIGHT not help....but it also ain't gonna hurt.have any of you guys ever been to a big club when there is a big show going on? Some huge guys will be in there just wasting away from their night out...lol.

BTW. Some might be surprised by some research showing alcoholic can increase testosterone....
                            Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
                            Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
                            Nicki Minaj

Comment

Originally posted by thedunhill225 View Post
                              God people... Well some people... There is a big difference between something "not helping" and something "hindering". A beer MIGHT not help....but it also ain't gonna hurt.have any of you guys ever been to a big club when there is a big show going on? Some huge guys will be in there just wasting away from their night out...lol.

BTW. Some might be surprised by some research showing alcoholic can increase testosterone....
                              Can you post a link to that research? I only ask because everything I have read indicates alcohol to be more likely to increase conversion of testosterone into estrogen.
                              Lee Salado, E.P.A.S.

Comment

Originally posted by thedunhill225 View Post
                                Some might be surprised by some research showing alcoholic can increase testosterone....
                                Sweeeeet... Get the beers on ice ASAP!
                                Originally posted by thsfootball
                                Stressing about what's catabolic- catabolic

Comment

Working...
                                X