Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to DC - Few Questions

Hey guys,

Good to be here. Was sent here by Scott and I'm glad to have read up on a lot of info already.

I'm looking to get started with DC. I gave it a really random shot my last 2 workouts and I'm extremely satisfied with the way I respond to the amount of volume, but especially the rest-pauses and stretches. The stretching absolutely destroys you, but I love it.

Anyway, I'm not going to pester you with too many details. I've been modelling for a few good years now but it's time to start looking like a small vagina and start putting on some mass and definitely strength. I put together this workout:

Sunday – Chest 1, Shoulders 1, Triceps 1, Back Width 1, Back Thickness 1
    Incline Smith Press (11-15 reps)
    Barbell Military Presses (11-20 reps)
    Weighted Dips (11-20 reps)
    Rack Chins (11-20 reps)
    Floor Deadlifts (6-9 reps) + (9-12 reps) – Straight set

Tuesday – Biceps 1, Forearms 1, Calves 1, Hamstrings 1, Quads 1
    Preacher Curls (11-20 reps)
    Pinwheel Curls (10-20 reps) – Straight set
    Leg Press Calf Raises (10-20 reps) – Straight set – 5 sec negative, 10-15 sec stretch
    Seated Leg Curls (15-30 reps)
    Squats (6-10 reps) – Straight set – 3-5 min rest – 20 reps

Thursday – Chest 2, Shoulders 2, Triceps 2, Back Width 2, Back Thickness 2
    Hammer Strength Chest Press (11-15 reps)
    Hammer Strength Shoulder Presses (11-15 reps)
    Close-grip Bench Press (11-20 reps)
    Close-grip Pulldowns (11-15 reps)
    T-bar Rows (10-12 reps) – Straight set

Sunday – Biceps 2, Forearms 2, Calves 2, Hamstrings 2, Quads 2
    Barbell Drag Curls (11-20 reps)
    Hammer Curls (10-20 reps) – Straight set
    Standing Calf Raises (10-20 reps) – Straight set – 5 sec negative, 10-15 sec stretch
    Stiff-legged Deadlift (10-20 reps)
    Leg Press (6-10 reps) – Straight set – 3-5 min rest – 20 reps

Tuesday – Chest 3, Shoulders 3, Triceps 3, Back Width 3, Back Thickness 3
    Barbell Bench Press (11-15 reps)
    Upright Rows (11-20 reps)
    Skull Crushers (15-30 reps)
    Front Pulldowns (11-15 reps)
    Rack Deadlifts (6-9 reps) + (9-12 reps) – Straight set

Thursday – Biceps 3, Forearms 3, Calves 3, Hamstrings 3, Quads 3
    Dumbbell Curls (11-20 reps)
    Reverse-grip Barbell Curls (10-20 reps) – Straight set
    Seated Calf Raises (10-12 reps) – Straight set – 5 sec negative, 10-15 sec stretch
    Sumo Leg Press (15-25 reps) – Straight set
    Leg Extension (6-10 reps) – Straight set – 3-5 min rest – 20 reps

Not too worried about that as it's probably alright. I do however have a few diet questions:

- The amount of protein DC advocates. I mean, is there any real advantage to eating that much protein? Don't studies show that more than 1-1.5g/lbs doesn't really give you any more of an advantage? I could see why people up the amount when cutting, especially for satiety. I'm here to learn, so please let me know why this is advocated.

- Why are protein/carbs and protein/fats meals the only option? Why are fats/carbs separated? You don't get fat quicker by eating carbs/fat together. Studies have been done on this. Again, here to learn about the DC methodology, just trying to shed some light on the matter.

Right now I'm a ~167 lbs skinny bitch, about 6-7% BF (see avatar). 5'9

I'm on an IF eating pattern, cause I can't stand preparing food and cleaning the kitchen is even worse. Daily macros are approx:

200g P
    250g CHO
    50g F

I've been cutting down, so obviously I'll increase all of the above when I've finalized the whole DC thing.

Thanks in advance!

Read, search and read some more. Lots of excellent stickied threads on here covering all your questions. At the end of he day you may still go about things however you want.... Studies or no studies the choice is yours and yours alone.
    SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

The only things I would suggest changing with your training are dropping the leg extensions and not doing upright rows and rack deadlifts on the same days.

As for the nutrition questions, well there is no "DC Diet." There are just general guidelines laid out here. Coaches like Dante and Scott take a very personal approach to designing diets and simply laying out a diet as a "DC Diet" would not take into consideration individual differences.

Some things can't be explained until you experience them. I would never be able to find a study that would support the amount of protein that I consume, but you know what, it works... And I never would have thought that the timing of nutrients mattered all that much until I used it. Keep in mind, you also are not going to find any studies where individuals pushed their bodies to the physical extremes and intensity required with DC.
      Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
      2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
      2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
        The only things I would suggest changing with your training are dropping the leg extensions and not doing upright rows and rack deadlifts on the same days.

As for the nutrition questions, well there is no "DC Diet." There are just general guidelines laid out here. Coaches like Dante and Scott take a very personal approach to designing diets and simply laying out a diet as a "DC Diet" would not take into consideration individual differences.

Some things can't be explained until you experience them. I would never be able to find a study that would support the amount of protein that I consume, but you know what, it works... And I never would have thought that the timing of nutrients mattered all that much until I used it. Keep in mind, you also are not going to find any studies where individuals pushed their bodies to the physical extremes and intensity required with DC.
        Thanks for that mentalflex.

I'll have to swap the leg extensions for something else then though right? Dante suggested hack squats, but we don't have a hack squat machine at our gym, so I figured extensions would be alright. Obviously not as 'good', but a quad exercise nonetheless. Would Barbell Lunges work better? I can't stand Lunges, pretty sure most people hate them, but I can't really think of another good quad builder that's decent for progressive tension overload.

About the other point, I'd have to swap Upright Rows with Hammer Strength Shoulder Presses, correct?

Got you on the diet part

Comment

There's one thing I don't understand about widowmakers.

In the general outline Dante set up I see them for quad exercises and deadlifts. However there's quite a few topics on widowmakers for chest, calves, etc.

Is that for advanced people only or are you supposed to add some sort of widowmaker exercise for most muscle groups?

When I ask the question, the answer seems slightly obvious (just follow the general outline), but I always like to make sure.

Same thing goes for statics really. Do you do them on every exercise? And specifically with bench press movements, do you hold the bar at the top or bottom of the movement? Bottom seems dangerous (which is why I doubt you do them at the bottom) but that does sound more effective somehow.

Thanks again
          (yes, still reading tons in the meantime )
          Last edited by takeshi; 08-10-2012, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by takeshi View Post
            Thanks for that mentalflex.

I'll have to swap the leg extensions for something else then though right? Dante suggested hack squats, but we don't have a hack squat machine at our gym, so I figured extensions would be alright. Obviously not as 'good', but a quad exercise nonetheless. Would Barbell Lunges work better? I can't stand Lunges, pretty sure most people hate them, but I can't really think of another good quad builder that's decent for progressive tension overload.

About the other point, I'd have to swap Upright Rows with Hammer Strength Shoulder Presses, correct?

Got you on the diet part
            For quads, what about smith squats? You can also do BB Hack squats with the bar behind your back like you are doing a deadlift but behind your legs. If you out 5lb or 10lb plates behind your heels the quads seem to get activated better.

Sissy squats could also work, even if you don't have a sissy squat pad, just hold on to a bar/rack/role and use your other arm to hold a weight on your chest.

You can also do trap bar squats or DB squats and use straps so your grip doesn't give out. Here is an example http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...s/TBSquat.html

Hammer strength Shoulder presses would work well in place of the upright rows.

Then about the WM questions, just do them for quads on the two way split. When you pack on slabs of muscle and glaring weaknesses become evident, then it is time to add WMs for other bodyparts.

Regarding the statics, if you can execute them after your RP sets on your exercises safely, then do them. If you can get someone to spot you, then for thing like BB presses, you can do them safely. I try to hold the static at a midpoint of the ROM on the rep.
            Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

For quads, what about smith squats? You can also do BB Hack squats with the bar behind your back like you are doing a deadlift but behind your legs. If you out 5lb or 10lb plates behind your heels the quads seem to get activated better.

Sissy squats could also work, even if you don't have a sissy squat pad, just hold on to a bar/rack/role and use your other arm to hold a weight on your chest.

You can also do trap bar squats or DB squats and use straps so your grip doesn't give out. Here is an example http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...s/TBSquat.html

Hammer strength Shoulder presses would work well in place of the upright rows.

Then about the WM questions, just do them for quads on the two way split. When you pack on slabs of muscle and glaring weaknesses become evident, then it is time to add WMs for other bodyparts.

Regarding the statics, if you can execute them after your RP sets on your exercises safely, then do them. If you can get someone to spot you, then for thing like BB presses, you can do them safely. I try to hold the static at a midpoint of the ROM on the rep.
              Thanks for the help man! First workout is on Sunday. I've never looked forward to a workout this much in my life.

The whole DC concept has given new life to my training, everything got a little stale. I was on Lyle's bulking routine for a pretty long time.

Talk to you when I reach your physique in 150 years.

Comment

One of the most beneficial things I learned from the DC program was pushing past what I did during the workout 2 weeks prior to my current day.

It's engrained into my mind that I have to push past the 95's for 12 reps on DB bench. I try to get myself amped up to get to 1-2 reps extra, if not more.

It's imperative to increase the reps or the weight. You have to use your own judgement at when to up the weight.

Also, just like the individual differences that everyone has you may change the rep range of your working sets.

For arms I like to be at 10 reps or more for the first portion of my Rest-pause set. I may finish the set with 17 reps or more by the end of the set.

For chest, I have no problem getting 6-7 reps for the first portion of the rest-pause set. I may finish the set with 12 reps total.

If you have the mental fortitude for DC training, you will truly love it.
                2010 NPC Northern Kentucky: Middleweight 3rd
                2011 INBF Dayton Tri-State: Light-Heavy 3rd
                Plans
                2013 INBF Buckeye Classic April: Light-Heavy 1st

Comment

Could you maybe elaborate on the last remark as to why? Thanks in advance.
                  My Training Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Time&Patience View Post
                    One of the most beneficial things I learned from the DC program was pushing past what I did during the workout 2 weeks prior to my current day.

It's engrained into my mind that I have to push past the 95's for 12 reps on DB bench. I try to get myself amped up to get to 1-2 reps extra, if not more.

It's imperative to increase the reps or the weight. You have to use your own judgement at when to up the weight.

Also, just like the individual differences that everyone has you may change the rep range of your working sets.

For arms I like to be at 10 reps or more for the first portion of my Rest-pause set. I may finish the set with 17 reps or more by the end of the set.

For chest, I have no problem getting 6-7 reps for the first portion of the rest-pause set. I may finish the set with 12 reps total.

If you have the mental fortitude for DC training, you will truly love it.
                    I'm pretty aware of what muscle group handles what amount of reps well. Luckily I've been fighting my logbook for a long time already, so the feeling of having to beat that is well engrained aswell.

The things that just really got to me were the RP sets and the stretches. The stretches were so painful but I loved em, I'm already looking forward to them again

I'll have to see how I feel about widowmakers on quads though. I handle high-volume extremely badly, but I'm starting beta alanine on Sunday, maybe that's going to add some value to the high-rep sets.

*EDIT* I do feel that I need to start off without any 'personal preference' for reps though and just do the program as described first. If, even on DC, I will still handle high-reps really bad, I will have to drop them down. I've had some medical issues in the past, way, way back but it still has an impact if I stress my body too much. However, the 3 day program will be great for recovery.
                    Last edited by takeshi; 08-10-2012, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LuNa23 View Post
                      I'm not 100% sure, but I think he said that cause both can pretty much hammer your traps.

Comment

Originally posted by LuNa23 View Post
                        The upright row motion and rack deadlift motion seem quite redundant. You will develop big traps by doing heavy deads and rack pulls. IMO, keeping your traps fresh for heavy rack pulls would yield better results.

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

What height should the bar ideally be at the starting point of rack deads?

Comment

Originally posted by takeshi View Post
                            What height should the bar ideally be at the starting point of rack deads?
                            I don't think there's one single "best" place. It depends on both your individual body and your goals. For example if you needed to hit more lower back, you would start them lower than if you wanted to target your upper back/traps. That being said, mid-shin or a little higher is a good place to start. Experiment and see what works for you.
                            Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                            kind of a douche

Comment

I haven't done barbell bench presses in some time and never as part of DC due to the increased chance of injury. Am I off base here? That was the only thing that jumped out at me as far as exercise selection that hasn't already been mentioned...

Comment

Working...
                              X