Belt Squat Machine for DC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belt Squat Machine for DC?

My new gym has a belt squat machine. I've never used one before, so I was wondering if it could be used as a DC quad exercise. How do you get a heavy weight into position on it? Is this an exercise that you need a spotter for?

I think it would be a good movement for quads. But up to what weight does the stack goes ? I need to ask yourself if you can make big weight jumps on it long term. If you can then you should use it. If not then you have a good alternative for a quad widowmaker.
    "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

The particulars of using the machine is something I'd inquire into at the gym itself, but that's a GREAT option to have for DC training. I'd rotate that one in quite often, as it will allow you to have a non-low back stressful leg day, which will open you up for more deadlift varieties for back thickness and/or hamstrings.

-S
      The Book Has Arrived!
      The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
      2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
      2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

They also have a power squat machine. How would that do as a DC quad exercise?

Comment

Originally posted by SDMF View Post
          They also have a power squat machine. How would that do as a DC quad exercise?
          Why wouldn't it? Seems like an obvious option to include as a machine to rotate in.
          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
            Why wouldn't it? Seems like an obvious option to include as a machine to rotate in.
            You're right. I guess I was just "thinking out loud". I'm already really close to maxing out their leg press, so I was trying to decide if I should keep going on it or move on to another exercise to progress on long term. You would think that a gym that specializes in training strength athletes would have a leg press that holds more weight.

Comment

You're right. I guess I was just "thinking out loud". I'm already really close to maxing out their leg press, so I was trying to decide if I should keep going on it or move on to another exercise to progress on long term. You would think that a gym that specializes in training strength athletes would have a leg press that holds more weight.
              How deep is your ROM and how many plates are you using?...

-S
              The Book Has Arrived!
              The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                How deep is your ROM and how many plates are you using?...

-S
                This leg press has safety pins at the bottom that move into place when you flip the handles to move the pins at the top to start pressing. I feel like they are in a good place for me to have a deep ROM while having the bottom pins there to stop it when my lower back starts to rise off the pad.

I'm not trying to brag about maxing it out. It just doesn't hold very much weight. Last time I had 305 on each side for my heaviest set, and that was almost the max that it would hold.

Comment

This leg press has safety pins at the bottom that move into place when you flip the handles to move the pins at the top to start pressing. I feel like they are in a good place for me to have a deep ROM while having the bottom pins there to stop it when my lower back starts to rise off the pad.

I'm not trying to brag about maxing it out. It just doesn't hold very much weight. Last time I had 305 on each side for my heaviest set, and that was almost the max that it would hold.
                  That's bizarre for a commercial leg press, esp. in that gym (as you noted). What make and model? (Link to pics?...)

Weird.

-S
                  The Book Has Arrived!
                  The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                    That's bizarre for a commercial leg press, esp. in that gym (as you noted). What make and model? (Link to pics?...)

Weird.

-S
                    The back pad says Raptor by ProMaxima. I attached a couple pics of it here. As you can see it doesn't hold much, that's a 25 pound plate on it. You can take a bar out behind the platform to make it into a unilateral press, but leaving the bar in makes for kind of an uneven surface. I just think it's kind of crazy that a gym for strength athletes would have a leg press that holds so little.

They don't have a smith machine or a hack squat either. I guess I can see not having a smith machine because strength athletes should probably use free weights as much as possible, but I would think that a decent leg press or hack squat would be a good piece of equipment for building leg strength.

I don't want to hate on the gym here because the atmosphere is great and I do like training there. I was just a little disappointed in the lack of leg machines. However, I did use their power squat machine today and liked it. I set a couple of rubber plates underneath it to spot myself after failure. It was kind of hard not to lean forward too much on it, but maybe I had my feet too far back on the platform.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by SDMF; 08-14-2012, 05:28 PM.

Comment

One thing that worries me about these hip belt squats is the pressure that the belt wouldbe putting on my lower back. All of that weight is essentially pressing horizontally across your lower vertebrae right? I know when I was using a dip belt to load up on standing calf presses, I was getting some uncomfortable pressure on my low spine.
                      Wanna save 5% on your trueprotein orders? Use my code! CTN001

Comment

The back pad says Raptor by ProMaxima. I attached a couple pics of it here. As you can see it doesn't hold much, that's a 25 pound plate on it. You can take a bar out behind the platform to make it into a unilateral press, but leaving the bar in makes for kind of an uneven surface. I just think it's kind of crazy that a gym for strength athletes would have a leg press that holds so little.

They don't have a smith machine or a hack squat either. I guess I can see not having a smith machine because strength athletes should probably use free weights as much as possible, but I would think that a decent leg press or hack squat would be a good piece of equipment for building leg strength.

I don't want to hate on the gym here because the atmosphere is great and I do like training there. I was just a little disappointed in the lack of leg machines. However, I did use their power squat machine today and liked it. I set a couple of rubber plates underneath it to spot myself after failure. It was kind of hard not to lean forward too much on it, but maybe I had my feet too far back on the platform.
                        That machine allows for unilateral leg pressing, does it not?...

There seems to be a specific philosophy at work here in this gym relating to functional strength. Makes total sense now why they have that machine, no hack and no smith: They're training athletes who are performing dynamic movements, not fixed in planes and/or confined to strictly bilaterally pressing. (They're not interested per se, I'm betting, in the idea of gaining muscle mass with more traditional bodybuilding types of movements and then ensure this translates with other training methodologies. It may have been a financial decision in part. A nice commercial leg press is easily >$2000.)

-S
                        The Book Has Arrived!
                        The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Originally posted by chris.tan View Post
                          One thing that worries me about these hip belt squats is the pressure that the belt wouldbe putting on my lower back. All of that weight is essentially pressing horizontally across your lower vertebrae right? I know when I was using a dip belt to load up on standing calf presses, I was getting some uncomfortable pressure on my low spine.
                          I have experienced the same when doing hip belt squats with loading pin, and only attaching the weight to the front. When i used a barbell and daisy chains, and attached the weight to both the front and rear, I didnt feel any discomfort in my back. It actually gave some relief in my lower back because of the downward pulling on the hips. However that setup requires a 2x4 under heels for balance, and that caused my knees to hurt. So far I have never really found a hip belt squat setup that feelt comfortable, but I am trying to convince my gym to buy a belt squat machine, like the one made by Westsidebarbell. Unfortunatly they arent keen on the idea since it takes up alot of space, and they think I will be the only one using it. They are propably right.

Comment

power squat machine i found to be incredible for widowmaker sets. probably the best movement for widowmakers, (except for conventional squats) in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                            X