Now I am crazy about Pull Ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now I am crazy about Pull Ups

DC has inspired me to open my mind to many new things...and to re-visit some old friends.

Pull ups. Had not done them in ages. Was shocked when I was able to get a 'whopping' 7 full clean reps last week, first set. Was also amazed how it seemed like I was actually doing them right for the first time.

Feeling the muscles thru a controlled ROM and a solid negative.

My question to all of you fellow DC'ers.

Do any of you do more than 1 type of grip on pull ups ... so you can then do some type of pull up on more than one of your "A" days???
    I train Dogg Crapp. When not training DC ... sometimes I train arms 3x to 5x per week. Sometimes I train 'modified dogg crapp' which includes an 'arms only' day.

60+ views and counting but nobody has anything to say about one of the best back builders of all time???!!!

I will update anyways ;o)

Did pull ups with palms facing each other grip. Once again, back is sore. Not to mention some deep rear delt\medial delt soreness also.

Today I added a 10 pound plate to my belt and did the first 2 sets that way.

All I need to do now is one more variation on the grio and I will be dong pull ups of some style for all 3 of my back width exercises.

Back thickness exercises, in case anybody is interested, are Rack Pulls, Bent over BB rows, and T-bar rows.

I am doing regular deadlifts on my leg day, the week that legs get trained 2x. So I think I have it all spaced out well so far.
    I train Dogg Crapp. When not training DC ... sometimes I train arms 3x to 5x per week. Sometimes I train 'modified dogg crapp' which includes an 'arms only' day.

Comment

I'll make it easy for you, people see you keep posting thread after thread on stuff beat to death already and peoplehave nothing to post and are tired of reading yours
      For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Pull ups and chins aren't ideal for DC as they offer limited progression and can be difficult to keep the load the same as body weight changes.

Better choices would be rack chin and pull down variations or machines.
        Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
          Pull ups and chins aren't ideal for DC as they offer limited progression and can be difficult to keep the load the same as body weight changes.

Better choices would be rack chin and pull down variations or machines.
          au contraire my friend. This might be true for someone who isn't too good at pull-ups but I have made continuous progress on my pull-ups. Last week I got 7+3+1 with 75lbs strapped on me. Once I complete my RP set I drop the weight down and do a static then do some negatives.

IMO, if you are growing, you can continue to make progress with pull ups and chins, you just have to be sure to keep the reps kosher.
          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Bigger guys tend to stall out much quicker in my experience with pullups than smaller guys....A guy who is 160 and can strap on 50lbs is still only moving 210lbs...But a guy who is 260 and can strap on 50lbs is now moving 310lbs....obviously this is simple math, but in reality, how many guys 250 plus have you seen doing good clean pullups for reps....Yes, there are some huge pro bb'ers who have videos doing them with good form, but they are pros....

I see guys in the gym who are 150-175lbs that can crank out pullups like they are going outta style, but can't pull more than 150 on the pulldown machine for a few reps....

I personally like pullups, but like Adam said, I stall pretty quickly, or should I say "stagnate"....I still do them cause I like how they feel, and I still add weight as well, I'm just not progressing well right now anyway....I do mine close parallel grip with a FULL bottom stretch for a second or so....
            STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

To attempt to answer this question, I would say that "yes" if you are changing your grip, hand positioning, the angle at which you pull then it would allow you to implement 3 different chin-up movements for an A workout day.

I've done 2 different types of pull-ups or chin-ups for a blast and handled it fine. I do stall quickly on pull-ups though, so I don't get those fast gains like I could on pulldowns.

You won't be given an absolute NO from these boards, unless your idea or question is so far off base.

If you only did pulldowns, you would have to change the bar attachment, use different grips, or hand placements to vary and alter the movement.

Same concept for pull-ups.
              2010 NPC Northern Kentucky: Middleweight 3rd
              2011 INBF Dayton Tri-State: Light-Heavy 3rd
              Plans
              2013 INBF Buckeye Classic April: Light-Heavy 1st

Comment

This is my first run for DC. First 'blast' as all you dogs in the pack would say.

As of right now, I am going to pound out some kind of pull up variation for each A day.

Adding some modest weight to my belt to boot, atleast of the first set.

Comment

Working...
                X