Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preacher Curls...most men of the cloth have flabby arms

Guys,

I have never been a big fan of preacher curls.

One thing I noticed after my first 3 DC workouts that were "B" days.

Loved standard old fashioned st.bar BB curls. Easy to work the negative, the static, etc.

Same with Dumbell Curls, seated. Easy to pop up the positives, really work the negative, and hit the static.

Preacher Curls...for some reason...I just dont really feel it well.

Would it be ok to sub E-Z curl bar curls even though I am already doing st. bar?

Likewise...what is the general consensus on preachers and if any of you like them, share any tips?
    I train Dogg Crapp. When not training DC ... sometimes I train arms 3x to 5x per week. Sometimes I train 'modified dogg crapp' which includes an 'arms only' day.

I do preacher curls on a machine...I like squeezing at the top as the weight is still engaged....
    STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

I like preachers, but they can be hard on my elbows and forearms. In my experience, most try to use too much weight with preachers, which is asking for a biceps tear. If I cannot do controlled and complete preacher curls, it is too heavy. I also like to do preachers with semi-opened hands to take my forearms out of the movement.

If you don't like preachers, either figure out if you are doing them wrong or drop them. There are tons of good biceps movements.
      Save 5% off your entire order at TrueProtein.com by using discount code LYP800; 10% if you order 16 lbs or more!

For a protein that can be used anytime, try TeamSkip Blend

You will need a scoop if you don’t have one: Measuring Scoops

Comment

I agree with Steel.

I prefer machine preachers to BB or EZ bar preachers - mind-muscle connection on the bicep contraction is better for me, get a great squeeze at the top, can work the negative more, and is better for hammering out partials at the end.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
        2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
        2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
        2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
        2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

Originally posted by DaveEboy View Post
          Guys,

I have never been a big fan of preacher curls.

One thing I noticed after my first 3 DC workouts that were "B" days.

Loved standard old fashioned st.bar BB curls. Easy to work the negative, the static, etc.

Same with Dumbell Curls, seated. Easy to pop up the positives, really work the negative, and hit the static.

Preacher Curls...for some reason...I just dont really feel it well.

Would it be ok to sub E-Z curl bar curls even though I am already doing st. bar?

Likewise...what is the general consensus on preachers and if any of you like them, share any tips?
          Just wondering, why do you feel you need to do preacher curls? All i remember reading was to use the 3 best exercises for you, which from the sound of it, preachers arent.
          My Training Journal

Comment

There are 1,763 good biceps exercises excluding preacher curls so choose one of those instead.
            Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
            Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
            Nicki Minaj

Comment

Originally posted by moco View Post
              I agree with Steel.

I prefer machine preachers to BB or EZ bar preachers - mind-muscle connection on the bicep contraction is better for me, get a great squeeze at the top, can work the negative more, and is better for hammering out partials at the end.
              X3. For me, one thing that makes a big difference is angle. I like the anglenon the preacher station much better at my college gym than the 24hr im training at now. Something about it takes more stress off my elbows and keeps it focused on my biceps. Something to think about if you have a choice between preacher stations or switch gyms, maybe givethem another shot.

Comment

I prefer db preachers over any bar. Easier to control the angle and weight. I had great success with those and incline curls in the 20rp+ range.
                Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
                  I prefer db preachers over any bar. Easier to control the angle and weight. I had great success with those and incline curls in the 20rp+ range.
                  I actually considered posting something about DB preachers. I like them too.

Comment

I like preachers, but I do them with a close grip on the EZ curl bar as that seems to feel better for me. However, DB preachers seem to activate the Bis more, for me at least.

One thing to watch out with preachers, machine or otherwise is bouncing at the bottom or bringing the weight down to fast, which can happen if you go too heavy. If you overextend your arm you can risk a bicep tear.

Like Adam said, Incline Bench DB Curls are an awesome exercise for DC, especially if you use a higher rep range.
                    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I'm scared of dumbbell preachers.....I think it was Pheedno here who popped his biceps tendon warming up doing hammer preacher if I remember correctly. I have very sore elbows joints with tendonitis and I'm scared to death to do any preacher dumbbells.....I used to do them years ago and loved them. I'm afraid I'm gonna hear a pop and then it's all over....lol
                      STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

I am ditching my PC's
                        Replacing with standard e-z bar barbell curls
                        I train Dogg Crapp. When not training DC ... sometimes I train arms 3x to 5x per week. Sometimes I train 'modified dogg crapp' which includes an 'arms only' day.

Comment

I do preachers with an easy curl bar using straight sets only. Rarely will I do less than 8 reps. Doing a rest pause of something like 8-4-2 scares the shit out of me.

Comment

If ya don't like them, don't do em but if you are worried about injury just ...... S. L. O. W. D. O. W. N
                            Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
                            Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
                            Nicki Minaj

Comment

incline DB curls?
                              '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                              17 AAU Super Total
                              '16-AAU Hi
                              '15-USPA Metro
                              '15-USPA State
                              '15-AAU HI
                              '14-AAU HI
                              '14-USPA Metro
                              '14-WABDL Sonny's