Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unintentionally Eating Low Carb on this DC Diet Plan

Guys,

With the 70 grams protein per meal basic protocol...I find I basically have NO room in my gut for carbs.

Meals go two to three protein items until I have reached 70 grams.

Along with non-starchy veggies, and healthy fats (avocados, nuts, yolks, etc).

I basically eat like 1 meal per day with starchy carbs.

Then on the weekend, thanks to footlong subs, pizza, etc, I 'load up'.

Anybody else experience this while trying to ram down all this protein???
    I train Dogg Crapp. When not training DC ... sometimes I train arms 3x to 5x per week. Sometimes I train 'modified dogg crapp' which includes an 'arms only' day.

What do you mean by "the 70 grams protein per meal basic protocol"? There is no where, that I know of that you are required to eat 70 grams of protein per meal. How much do you weigh?
    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
    Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by DaveEboy View Post
      Guys,

With the 70 grams protein per meal basic protocol...I find I basically have NO room in my gut for carbs.

How much do you weigh, Dave?... BF% Estimate?...

What does you daily diet (not weekends) usually end up looking like?...

Are you gaining with what you're currently doing?...

-S
      The Book Has Arrived!
      The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
      2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
      2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Guys,

Now let me ask you....Do you think that this way of doing things is gonna help you hit your goals? The answer is probably no. So use some common sense, drop you protein down to a reasonable level for YOU, so you can get other foods in there as well.....Most people are gonna GROW better with some good old starchy carbs in there. They are non essential, as there are no essential carbs, BUT, have you seen alot of people who can grow at a good pace eating simply protein and fats?....I haven't....

Diet is not cookie cutter stuff. You hafta tailor the diet to fit YOUR needs. Yes, on DC the emphasis is on protein. But if you're 175lbs, you certainly don't need 500g of protein....Figure out where you're at regarding lean weight, just an estimate, and go for 1.5-2g per lb of lean weight....that's more than enough, in fact, some say it's way too much....So if you're 200lbs and need to lose 30lbs, then just figure 170lbs x2g per lb....340g. Divided by 7 meals thats a hair less than 50g per meal....now you can hit some carbs too

Edit: Answer Homon's questions and use his response, as mine was just generic....lol
        STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Didn't you come in and ask us yesterday about the protein question? You said you weighed 200 pounds, so if you followed the 1.5 g/lb recommendation, that's 300 grams. Spread that out over 6-7 smaller meals during the day, and you're at 40-50 grams per meal, which isn't hard to do.
          Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

Originally posted by dakoose View Post
            Didn't you come in and ask us yesterday about the protein question? You said you weighed 200 pounds, so if you followed the 1.5 g/lb recommendation, that's 300 grams. Spread that out over 6-7 smaller meals during the day, and you're at 40-50 grams per meal, which isn't hard to do.
            The actual recommendation iv seen is 2g/lb for dc trainees. Not 1.5

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Thanks guys for all the great responses. My main question on this post was really about the lack of carbohydrates my diet has had lately. Not about eating 'how much' or 'too much' protein.

At this point I would have to say it just may be in my best interest to drop the protein a little and start adding in some oats, green peas, limas, etc.

At 40 years old and on a 'bulk' while doing my first DC blast ... not interested in getting much fatter. I also readily accept the fact that some extra 'blubber' is bound to come on in order to get the gains i want.
              I train Dogg Crapp. When not training DC ... sometimes I train arms 3x to 5x per week. Sometimes I train 'modified dogg crapp' which includes an 'arms only' day.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the great responses. My main question on this post was really about the lack of carbohydrates my diet has had lately. Not about eating 'how much' or 'too much' protein.

At this point I would have to say it just may be in my best interest to drop the protein a little and start adding in some oats, green peas, limas, etc.

At 40 years old and on a 'bulk' while doing my first DC blast ... not interested in getting much fatter. I also readily accept the fact that some extra 'blubber' is bound to come on in order to get the gains i want.
                Here, I just found this can of worms...

But no. Do not accept the fact that some extra "blubber" is bound to come, it's b/s. Tons of people, great and poor metabolisms alike, can get by without gaining much, if hardly any, extra body fat. The difference is that it's hard and takes extra work. Do cardio. Don't be retarded about what you eat. Make adjustments.

Also, I think others are talking about "too much protein" vs "not enough carbs" because they're directly proportionate. Most assume you're getting too many calories from protein, whereas you could re-partition a number of those calories for carbohydrates, which will translate over to everything better. Carbs won't bite, I promise. I highly respect DC philosophies and the high protein lifestyle but, as mentioned above, there is no cookie-cutter template. Just because something is recommended doesn't mean it will translate well for you. When I ate 2x bodyweight in protein, I stayed fatter, had less energy, and had digestion issues. Now, I'm somewhere around 1.5x, if not less, and I've never had more success doing this than I have now.

Just out of curiosity, what's with the carb sources? Why no get some Ezekiel Bread, brown/jasmine/white rice, fruits, etc?

...imo, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by moparfreak360 View Post
                  The actual recommendation iv seen is 2g/lb for dc trainees. Not 1.5

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
                  There's no requirement. This guys isn't so big where he needs more than 300 grams or protein (from protein sources) daily. In the other thread we suggested 1.5 grams from protein sources (not ancillary sources), which would be plenty. if he gets that much "real protein," he'll be fine. And then if not, he should then bump it up higher.
                  Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

Thanks guys.

Going to go ahead with adding oatmeal and ezekial.

Comment

One of my favorite meals offseason was when I would roast a lean roast beef or turkey breast, slice it thin, make sandwiches on all natural whole wheat bread, with a bit of canola oil mayo, lettuce, tomato, and red onion, and a little salt....Two of these babies would have me at 70g protein, 75g carbs, and about 15g fat from the mayo.....I would add in a piece of fruit and a natural granola bar and get my carbs up to 125g....perfect 900 calorie or so meal....lol
                      STEEL

Comment

Not giving advice, just a question..

Is the DC recommended protein amount over exaggerated, kind of like how the "6-8 second" negative got over exaggerated?

I just can't see how anyone can get that much protein (400+g) on a daily basis who is 200 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by SkinnyMike42 View Post

Is the DC recommended protein amount over exaggerated, kind of like how the "6-8 second" negative got over exaggerated?

I just can't see how anyone can get that much protein (400+g) on a daily basis who is 200 lbs.
                          I don't know if it's exaggerated....I just think maybe it was put out there so guys know they hafta eat a shitload of protein....I'm at 390g of protein right now in prep, 455g on training days....I've gone as high as 420-490g in a day, depending on how many meals I get in, 6 or 7.....I certainly wouldn't think that a 200lb guy needs 400g of protein to grow....I've seen plenty of guys grow just fine on 250-300g of protein at 200lbs or so....that being said, the emphasis on protein with DC Training is there for a reason. Maybe one could see spectacular growth going up to 500g....Dante's also talked about the thermic effect of food, and that protein is by far better for this than carbs and fats....
                          STEEL

Comment

I have followed it before for 6 months at a 225 BW getting in close to 500 grams of protein a day. It wasnt that hard when eating 7-8 times a day. My last two meals of the day accounted to 200 grams of protein in total. The rest i got relatively easy during the day.

I did have lots of digestion issues and bad gas. I have dropped the protein now to 0.8-1.0 grams per BW and have less uncomfortable issues.
                            My Training Journal

Comment

I dont think its that hard to get 400+ g of protein...break it down to 7 meals @ 60-ish per meal and youre there. You could do that with 3 shakes and 4 meals. Now whether or not that is needed is another story.

At the end of this prep..I will be give/take 200lbs and will be right around that amount of protein. I will preface that by saying my first meal of the day is btwn 0330/0400 and my last meal is around 2000...so, getting in those meals, in that amount of time is pretty easy (again, for me).

-slide
                              "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."

"Carry 24/7 or guess right."

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

Comment

Working...
                              X