Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deadlifts on leg day??? Or a must on back day???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadlifts on leg day??? Or a must on back day???

Guys,

Having trouble trying to find the right day to do my deadlifts.

Seems putting them into my back workout is going to thrash my hamstrings to much on the week that legs get trained twice, and putting them in my back workout the other week puts them into the same week as squats and rack pulls?

Is it ok to do dl's on leg day...i do semi sumo stance so it is a little less on the back.:croc:
    I train Dogg Crapp. When not training DC ... sometimes I train arms 3x to 5x per week. Sometimes I train 'modified dogg crapp' which includes an 'arms only' day.

What is your current split? What exercises are you using for each bodypart?
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Following DC rules to the T

The standard split

But my preferences are to do rack pulls, sumo dl's, squats, smith squats...trying to space these out far enough apart without thrashing the lower back and hamstrings

One way would be if it was ok to do the sumo dl's as a primary hamstring movement, not on the back thickness day.

That would be on a friday, i might add.
      I train Dogg Crapp. When not training DC ... sometimes I train arms 3x to 5x per week. Sometimes I train 'modified dogg crapp' which includes an 'arms only' day.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveEboy View Post
        Following DC rules to the T

The standard split

But my preferences are to do rack pulls, sumo dl's, squats, smith squats...trying to space these out far enough apart without thrashing the lower back and hamstrings

One way would be if it was ok to do the sumo dl's as a primary hamstring movement, not on the back thickness day.

That would be on a friday, i might add.
        OK, so I see SOME exercises you are doing. But what are you doing for back thickness, hamstrings and quads and on what days?

You can't correct something if you don't know what to correct.
        Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

ok here is my ham\leg\back thickness line up

Please critique...listing back thickness and hamstring\quad...trying not to thrash my lower back or hams, and want to include all of these exercises. Here is the current layout:

a1 bent over bb row (monday)

b1 squats, sldl (wed.)

a2 rack pulls (friday)

b2 sm machine squats and Good Mornings w\BB (mon.)

a3 t-bars (wed.)

b3 Hack squats, Deadlifts(semi-sumo) (Fri.)

Comment

Well for one, the only time you should be doing quads last is with Stiff legged deadlifts. Which makes me question whether you really looked into how DC should be done and if you should even be doing DC at all.

Also, why are you so set with these exercises? There are other exercises that would be better if you want to reduce the strain on your lower back. Don't be so set in one way and open up you mind a little bit to other options. You can always use any exercises you don't have in there now at another time.

SLDLs, Rack Pulls and Sumo Deadlifts are all going to be taxing on your lower back. Then add in BB Rows and Good mornings and you are really going to be pushing it.

Look at what you said you wanted to do, "not to thrash my lower back" and look at the exercises you want to do. They just don't fit.

I am below in red.

Originally posted by DaveEboy View Post
            Please critique...listing back thickness and hamstring\quad...trying not to thrash my lower back or hams, and want to include all of these exercises. Here is the current layout:

a1 bent over bb row (monday)

b1 squats, sldl (wed.) Change this to Lying leg curls and Squats

a2 rack pulls (friday)

b2 sm machine squats and Good Mornings w\BB (mon.) Change this to Smith machine squats and SLDLs

a3 t-bars (wed.)

b3 Hack squats, Deadlifts(semi-sumo) (Fri.) Youi can do Wide Sumo Deadlifts and Hack Squats here, just make sure you are really focusing on your hams

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Hey Bro,

Thanks for the reply. You are right about going with wider on the sumo for more hamstring work, that's for sure. I'll use that tip.

As to your question as to whether I should be doing DC at all ... hey Man...I won my first local 'Overall' show before you were out of 1st grade. I've been round the block and have seen plenty of hardcore heavy training in my day.

Thanks for your help again. Like I say, I am totally green on this DC training and only been reading about it for a couple of weeks.

Comment

For deadlifts, the legs are very integral in the movement and I would say get the most work. However, I've always had them as my main back exercise when planning any training programs for myself. Recently, I've switched to a double overhand grip and find it better targets my back. Might just be me, though.

Comment

Thanks for the input Frank. Ironic ... I have always used the one over, one under grip.

But seriously thinking about switching my grip to a both overhand grip.

I am small jointed, with a 'weak' grip. Almost certain I will have to strap down.

Comment

Not a direct recommendation, but just a comment from my experience.

1 question though: have you actually done a blast yet with DC?

Personally, I will only implement 1 DL or squat movement per week. I try to get it on the same days of the week as well.

i.e. DL on Monday (A1) and then SLDL on Monday (B2) It would then give you Friday (B3) to implement squats.

It gives you a full week to recover before you do another exercise that can be very demanding on your back, hams, glutes, etc.

If you do prefer to do multiple forms of DL's, then I'd make sure that you could get 2 days of rest such as the Friday then Monday to rest your back over the weekend.

No offense to MentalFlex's recommendation, but I wouldn't do Squats on Wednesday, rack pulls on Friday, and then SLDL's on Monday. I just feel that's too much work to truly recover and continuously hit it week after week during a blast.

MentalFlex, have you done something like that during a blast? Doing that many movements of that type within the 2 week swing?

Dave--If you do DC how it's devised, with the correct intensity, you won't want to start out squatting Wednesday and doing rack DL's on Friday. Maybe once you get the hang of it, but starting out I wouldn't recommend it.
                    Last edited by Time&Patience; 08-03-2012, 05:11 PM.
                    2010 NPC Northern Kentucky: Middleweight 3rd
                    2011 INBF Dayton Tri-State: Light-Heavy 3rd
                    Plans
                    2013 INBF Buckeye Classic April: Light-Heavy 1st

Comment

Originally posted by Time&Patience View Post
                      Not a direct recommendation, but just a comment from my experience.

1 question though: have you actually done a blast yet with DC?

Personally, I will only implement 1 DL or squat movement per week. I try to get it on the same days of the week as well.

i.e. DL on Monday (A1) and then SLDL on Monday (B2) It would then give you Friday (B3) to implement squats.

It gives you a full week to recover before you do another exercise that can be very demanding on your back, hams, glutes, etc.

If you do prefer to do multiple forms of DL's, then I'd make sure that you could get 2 days of rest such as the Friday then Monday to rest your back over the weekend.

No offense to MentalFlex's recommendation, but I wouldn't do Squats on Wednesday, rack pulls on Friday, and then SLDL's on Monday. I just feel that's too much work to truly recover and continuously hit it week after week during a blast.

MentalFlex, have you done something like that during a blast? Doing that many movements of that type within the 2 week swing?

Dave--If you do DC how it's devised, with the correct intensity, you won't want to start out squatting Wednesday and doing rack DL's on Friday. Maybe once you get the hang of it, but starting out I wouldn't recommend it.
                      I have not done that many movements that would strain the lower back all in one blast....BUT I was making those recommendations because he wanted to keep the same movements in there. I'm not dumb...but if you read the top post, he wanted to keep as many of his current lifts in there. Not ideal, but hey live and learn then he would see that maybe there could be better exercise selection. Sometimes it is better to let one experience it for themselves.

Ideally, you would not have so many movements taxing your lower back. But I was trying to help the OP out by providing an option to keep as many movements he wants in there.

And if you give yourself the weekend to recover, why couldn't you do SLDL's Monday?
                      Last edited by mentalflex; 08-03-2012, 05:24 PM.

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Flex,

I see what you're saying. I guess there's 2 ways we gave advice:
                        1. You can try to answer the question that is being asked
                        2. Try to give advice on another option to the question being asked.

You were right in answering his question with what he "wants" from his routine; we both agree that it is too much. I just wanted to advise him to get away from that thought process of incorporating that much work. You just gave him an alternative on how to split it up more accordingly.

I do believe that with the weekend to rest you could hit another heavier compound again, and I slid that comment in the middle of my 1st post.
                        "If you do prefer to do multiple forms of DL's, then I'd make sure that you could get 2 days of rest such as the Friday then Monday to rest your back over the weekend. "

I just took it that if you were showing him how to split it up to keep all of those movements incorporated that meant you had some experience trying it that way. I see that's not the case; I would have been more surprised if you tried it, knowing you have solid knowledge already.

Agreed. Guys just have to give it a go and they'll see what they can truly do or not do.
                        2010 NPC Northern Kentucky: Middleweight 3rd
                        2011 INBF Dayton Tri-State: Light-Heavy 3rd
                        Plans
                        2013 INBF Buckeye Classic April: Light-Heavy 1st

Comment

Yeah man, it is all good.

With DC, and I know you know this, but for others, you have to looks at it as a comprehensive program with lifts structured to fit your goals so you are working the target muscle as effectively as possible. This means that not every big bang lift needs or should be used at one time and you have to ensure that that your structure allows for progression (e.g. not using repetitive motions or equipment thus preventing excessive fatigue). The more you know the more your grow

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Working...
                          X