Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dc critique w/bands and chains

long time lurker first time poster

ive been lifting for about 5 to 6 years. ive always wanted to try dc and i feel like im finally ready to give it a shot. My avatar was taken about a year and half ago ive put on some more mass but im ready to really bring it up a notch. Im focoused and ready to go. My ultimate goal is in about a year to 18 months compete in the physique division.

due to time constraints over the summer I have to do the 3 way split but in 6 weeks I can transition to the 2 way once school starts and I have more time.

Im lucky enough to train at a gym with bands and chains and would like to incorporate them into the program. If you guys say otherwise their out.

A1

Incline Smith (11-15 rp)
    db shoulder press (20-30 rp)
    Dips (11-15 rp)

B1

BB Curls (11-15 rp)
    Reverse Curls (11-15 ss)
    Rack Chins (11-15 rp)
    Deadlifts W/Chains (9-12) (4-8) SS

C1
    Standing Calf Machine (11-15 ss)
    Glute Ham (11-15 rp)
    Leg Press (4-8) (Widowmaker)

A2
    Decline Smith (11-15 rp)
    Millitary Press (11-15 rp)
    Skull Crushers (20-30 rp)

B2
    Preacher Curls (20-30 rp)
    Pinwheel Curls (11-15 ss)
    HS Pulldown machine (11-15 rp)
    BB Rows (9-12) (4-8) ss

C2
    Calves on Leg Press (11-15 SS)
    Lying Leg Curls (11-15 rp)
    Squats (4-8) (widowmaker)

A3
    Incline HS Machine (11-15 rp)
    BTN Smith Press (11-15 rp)
    CGBP W/Chains (11-15 rp)

B3
    Close Grip EZ Bar (20-30 rp)
    Hammer Curls (11-15 SS)
    V-Bar Pulldowns (11-15 rp)
    Reverse Band Deadlift (9-12) (4-8)

C3
    Calves In Hack Squat (11-15 SS)
    SLDL (11-15 SS)
    Hack Squat (4-8) (WidowMaker)

Any feedback would be greatly appreicated obviosuly im a rookie but I tried my best. if you have any suggestions let me know.

Are you thinking of adding chains just because you have access to them or is there a specific purpose you hope to accomplish with doing so?
    FEAR THE FROG

Originally posted by John Broz
    If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnCaesar View Post
      Are you thinking of adding chains just because you have access to them or is there a specific purpose you hope to accomplish with doing so?
      In 6 weeks I wont have access to them anymore once Im back at school so i figured use them while I can type of thing.

But I looked at it this way in deadlifts and cgbp it adds weight as you go along and at the top of the movement is the main muscle I'm trying to hit so i figure give it a go.

Same thing with reverse band deads

Comment

Ehh...I wouldn't do it if you only have access to them for 6 weeks.

Let's say it's the 7th week, you now have to switch those exercises out and reset numbers; pretty much starting all over with those when you should still be progressing.
        Max Muscle
        5020 Katella Ave.
        Los Alamitos, CA 90720
        www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Ask yourself this question:

What is the advantage to using chains or bands?
          Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
          kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
            Ask yourself this question:

What is the advantage to using chains or bands?
            the advantage is the added restiance through the movement. It lets you use less weight at your weak points and as you get to stronger points in the movement theirs more weight on the bar?

so instead of only being able to deadlift 450 pounds because im weak off the floor. I can deadlift that same 450 off the ground but be able to lockout 500 pounds.

thats what I was always lead to belive correct me if Im wrong.

Comment

Ok, how does that translate to increased muscle mass? Since you're talking about DC Training I'm assuming your goal is to accumulate as much muscle mass as possible. How does what you just said turn into more rapid muscle gain than just using straight weight?
              kind of a douche

Comment

More questions/food for thought:

How will the addition of bands and chains add to your ability to progress and beat the logbook?

Do you really need accommodating resistance to help progress or can you just take the basic movements without any additional "extras" and progress?
                FEAR THE FROG

If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

Comment

More questions/food for thought:

How will the addition of bands and chains add to your ability to progress and beat the logbook?

Do you really need accommodating resistance to help progress or can you just take the basic movements without any additional "extras" and progress?
                  you dont need acomdating resistance at all to help you progress look at the guys on this board and how huge they've gotten without it. You can take the basics and work with just those.

I was looking at the bands and chains more as a separate exercise almost more then a tool to help me beat the log book though.

Ok, how does that translate to increased muscle mass? Since you're talking about DC Training I'm assuming your goal is to accumulate as much muscle mass as possible. How does what you just said turn into more rapid muscle gain than just using straight weight?
                  staying with the theory of dc its not initial weight that you you can lift but the progress over a period of time or "beating the logbook" its not being able to bench 300 to 350 its going from 200 for reps to 400 for reps over a period of time that puts the muscle on.

after mulling over these questions the use of bands and chains are not needed in a powerlifting sense in a dc routine. but they could be used in the dc sense as a separate/varation of a exercise that you can progress on over time. once you stalled cgbp w/chains you could switch to another exercise and come back to it eventually and beat your previous records in the logbook.

^^^ I dont know if thats what you were trying to point me to or if that's even right. I appreciate the help from both of you though making me dig deeper into why I actually wanted them their.

Comment

kind of a douche

Comment

any actual crituqes on the plan though???

Comment

Originally posted by Lifter X View Post
                        long time lurker first time poster

ive been lifting for about 5 to 6 years. ive always wanted to try dc and i feel like im finally ready to give it a shot. My avatar was taken about a year and half ago ive put on some more mass but im ready to really bring it up a notch. Im focoused and ready to go. My ultimate goal is in about a year to 18 months compete in the physique division.

due to time constraints over the summer I have to do the 3 way split but in 6 weeks I can transition to the 2 way once school starts and I have more time.

Im lucky enough to train at a gym with bands and chains and would like to incorporate them into the program. If you guys say otherwise their out.

A1

Incline Smith (11-15 rp)
                        db shoulder press (20-30 rp)
                        Dips (11-15 rp) I would personally up the rep range.

B1

BB Curls (11-15 rp)
                        Reverse Curls (11-15 ss)
                        Rack Chins (11-15 rp)
                        Deadlifts W/Chains (9-12) (4-8) SS

C1
                        Standing Calf Machine (11-15 ss)
                        Glute Ham (11-15 rp) Not a good exercise choice IMO
                        Leg Press (4-8) (Widowmaker)

A2
                        Decline Smith (11-15 rp)
                        Millitary Press (11-15 rp)
                        Skull Crushers (20-30 rp)

B2
                        Preacher Curls (20-30 rp)
                        Pinwheel Curls (11-15 ss)
                        HS Pulldown machine (11-15 rp)
                        BB Rows (9-12) (4-8) ss

C2
                        Calves on Leg Press (11-15 SS)
                        Lying Leg Curls (11-15 rp)
                        Squats (4-8) (widowmaker)

A3
                        Incline HS Machine (11-15 rp)
                        BTN Smith Press (11-15 rp)
                        CGBP W/Chains (11-15 rp)

B3
                        Close Grip EZ Bar (20-30 rp)
                        Hammer Curls (11-15 SS)
                        V-Bar Pulldowns (11-15 rp)
                        Reverse Band Deadlift (9-12) (4-8) Since you are already doing one deadlift variation, maybe consider soemthing else here

C3
                        Calves In Hack Squat (11-15 SS)
                        SLDL (11-15 SS)
                        Hack Squat (4-8) (WidowMaker)

Any feedback would be greatly appreicated obviosuly im a rookie but I tried my best. if you have any suggestions let me know.
                        Originally posted by Lifter X View Post
                        any actual crituqes on the plan though???
                        My feedback.

Now my big question is in regards to what I bolded above. Was this a mistype?
                        FEAR THE FROG

Comment

Agreed.
                          FEAR THE FROG

Comment

My feedback.

Now my big question is in regards to what I bolded above. Was this a mistype?
                            I admire guys like Mark Dugdale Dusty Skip and many of the other members on the board for their dedication and hard work to get up to the size that they are. Dorian Yates and Arnold were the reasons I was inspired to lift weights, and get in shape, but everybody has different goals that they want to reach and I respect the goals of all sorts of lifters from people who want to be 1000 pound squatters to 275 conditioned on stage monsters. Thats not my goal though I want to look like Frank Zane, Bob Paris or more recently Matt Christianer, Steve Cook or Joe Donnoley.

To reach this goal DC is the obvious choice to pack on some size and compete in the WBFF or Physique.

Comment

I would try to focus on exercises that I knew I would be able to do when I got back to school in six weeks. Why start sometbhing, get into the groove, and then have to start over again?
                              My first month of DC really felt like a walk through. I went through the first two weeks just establishing my base numbers and getting a feel for the exercise order, rest pausing, stretches, etc. You might find you want to switch out some exercises, change the workout you are doing a certain exercise, or adjust rep ranges.
                              Maybe for the next six weeks just expermiment with it. See what works for you and what doesn't. Then when you get back to school hit the 2 way hard. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X