Would love some feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would love some feedback

I asked for some feedback from a few vets on there input on my exersice selection and rep range. They recommended I post up a new thread which could be more helpful for myself.

Could post up a few pics if you guys need it. Thanks alot for the input and help out.

A1
    incline smith press (11-15rp)

military smith press (11-20rp)
    reverse grip smith press (11-20rp)
    front rack chins (15-20rp)
    deadlifts (6-8 ss) (10-12ss)

B1
    incline dumbell curls (20-30rp)
    pin wheel curls (12-20ss)
    hack calve press (10-12ss)
    lying leg curl (15-30rp)
    leg press (6-10 ss) (20 + WM)

A2
    Decline db press (20-30rp) thinking of switching this as without a spotter its really tough perhaps decline machine press (11-15rp)
    hammer shoulder press (11-20rp)
    tricep ext. pjr pullover (15-30 rp) thinking of switching these to dip machine due to rotator problems
    dante lat cable pulleys (15-30rp)
    overhand yates rows (6-9 ss) (10-15 ss) seen some rp these, not sure which way to do it. Perhaps it would be better to just switch this to rack chins.

B2
    drag curls (15-25rp)
    preacher one hand hammer curls (12-20ss)
    leg press calves (10-12ss)
    Parillo stiff legged deadlifts (15-30rp)
    hack squat (6-10ss) (20+WM)

A3
    Hammer strength incline press (11-15rp)
    Db military press (20-30rp) considering switching this to machine press, clean and press, or Poliquin Presses
    close grip smith press (11-20rp)
    wide grip pulldown (15-20rp) considering it may be better to do another rack chin variation like behind neck chins or betito chins
    tbar rows (6-9ss) (10-15ss) not sure if I should rp these

B3
    preacher machine curls (15-25rp)
    reverse cable curl (12-20ss)
    sitting calve raise (10-12ss)
    sumo leg press (15-25ss) used to do these rest paused, but not sure of the proper way
    free squat (4-8ss) (20+ WM)

I have done back thickness movements in straight sets, so t-bar rows I think would be better served as such, not r/p, as form will break down....

I have also done sumo leg press straight sets....

Do you think you're gonna be able to progress on incline dumbbell curls?

Also, do you think you're gonna be able to progress well on the Dante lat pulls? I have used these but have never really progressed a bunch in them.....

Wait for Mental to post and see what he thinks.....
    STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

sumo leg press I started out doing r/p but then found out alot of members were just straight setting it. Even though its a bitch and I needed the safety pins in case my legs gave out to prevent being crushed- I did like the sheer intensity of rest pausing the hamstrings for major burn.

for dumbell press I asked if you guys think I should switch that out for another chest and shoulder exercise just as some members seem to hate using db for rest pausing. It is really tiresome lugging those dumbells back in place just after 20 secs for another r/p set.

For the dante lat cable pulls I couldn't see how they could be bad for back width selection, but again thats why I put up this thread... to get some feedback on what members like in terms of rep range and exercise prioritization

Comment

Could someone describe Dante's lat pull? I have yet to read it and I always love learning new techniques he's come up with.

Comment

You want to pick exercises that you are gonna be able to continually progress for weeks and weeks.....that is the key. Dante has said it numerous times. If you really believe in an exercise, and can PROGRESS with it, then keep it in there....

There are some things that need to be changed per individual....if you are moving serious weight on dumbbells, a common approach is to up the rep range for r/p, and some will even just do 2 straight sets....

Don't get attached to your plan. Wait for Mental to come in here and look at it. He's working with Homon and I'm sure that he knows what to tweak for you. I know how I like to do things for me, but he will have more insight on it than I.....
          STEEL

Comment

Originally posted by Cooporilla View Post
            Could someone describe Dante's lat pull? I have yet to read it and I always love learning new techniques he's come up with.
            [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6Y7l07uVS4[/YOUTUBE]

Big Ron doing it...personally I like to do it;

1) further out so my feet is on the ground and not up on the foot plates

2) with a rope with/without lifting straps

3) bend over more so I'm facing down at the bench

4) 20 rep it.

5) Keep in mind it's a finesse move not a power one. So not much body english and just put it all in the lats.
            Max Muscle
            5020 Katella Ave.
            Los Alamitos, CA 90720
            www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

I'm in red below with my comments

Originally posted by tacoman View Post
              I asked for some feedback from a few vets on there input on my exersice selection and rep range. They recommended I post up a new thread which could be more helpful for myself.

Could post up a few pics if you guys need it. Thanks alot for the input and help out.

A1

military smith press (11-20rp) Depending on shoulder health, go with either 11-15rp or 15-20rp and same for below
              reverse grip smith press (11-20rp)

B1
              incline dumbell curls (20-30rp)I know Steel said he didn't like these, but I have found them to be very effective. The stretch at the bottom is great.
              pin wheel curls (12-20ss) Go with 15-20rp
              lying leg curl (15-30rp)Consider a more narrow rep range. My thought process is such that with a smaller rep range you'll be able to increase the weight more frequently. How would you do with 15-20rp?
              leg press (6-10 ss) (20 + WM) I like leg press WMs. Don't plan on walking much afterwards

A2
              Decline db press (20-30rp) thinking of switching this as without a spotter its really tough perhaps decline machine press (11-15rp) I do a lot of DB exercises and do not have training partner. Just grind it out. But a decline machine press is not a bad idea
              hammer shoulder press (11-20rp) Go with either 11-15rp or 15-20rp
              tricep ext. pjr pullover (15-30 rp) thinking of switching these to dip machine due to rotator problems Go with the dip machine in the 15-20rp range. Gotta love dips for mass
              dante lat cable pulleys (15-30rp) I agree with the higher rep range on this since it is a pretty unique exercise in that it involves a lot of technique rather than brute strength. I never used it personally, but as Roymccoy said, he has been WMing it. Might want to give that a shot...
              overhand yates rows (6-9 ss) (10-15 ss) seen some rp these, not sure which way to do it. Perhaps it would be better to just switch this to rack chins. Rack chins are back width exercise. Do the yates rows SS for back health.

B2
              drag curls (15-25rp) Probably handle a 20-30rp range on these
              preacher one hand hammer curls (12-20ss) Go 15-20RP
              Parillo stiff legged deadlifts (15-30rp) Do SLDL and variants last. I tried to see what the parilo version was but couldn't find a video. You can RP these if your back is healthy.

A3
              Db military press (20-30rp) considering switching this to machine press, clean and press, or Poliquin Presses DB military presses are fine, as are machine presses and Poliquin presses. If doing the machine presses or Poliquin presses go with 11-15-rp. Clean and press isn't a good DC exercise IMO because of the variables that go into each rep
              close grip smith press (11-20rp)Go with 15-20RP
              wide grip pulldown (15-20rp) considering it may be better to do another rack chin variation like behind neck chins or betito chins Try behind the neck lat pulldowns in the 15-20RP range

B3
              preacher machine curls (15-25rp) Go with 15-20rp
              reverse cable curl (12-20ss) go with 15-20rp
              sumo leg press (15-25ss) used to do these rest paused, but not sure of the proper way If you RP these, go with 15-20rp. However, considering you are doing BB squats next, you may opt for a more isolating exercise, like Glute Ham Raises in the 15-20RP range

Let me know what you think of the above.
              Last edited by mentalflex; 07-07-2012, 02:00 AM.
              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
              2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
              2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I personally don't think the Dante rows are something that you will have big progression on.....if it were me, I'd add a Hammer pull down if available that you could r/p and progress quite a bit....that being said, Dante rows are awesome and the stretch is very unique....I use them in my rotation but I'm not training DC right now.....I do 2 sets of 12-20 reps....
                STEEL

Comment

Mental, I like the way you keep alot of the rep ranges tight....that should allow for weight increases quicker like you said.....when I train DC my reps are a bit higher with more wiggle room since I'm old, but this year I want to drop the reps and really try to push the weight.....good advice there.....
                  STEEL

Comment

A1

military smith press (15-20rp) Depending on shoulder health, go with either 11-15rp or 15-20rp and same for below. since rotator problems took the higher rep range may drop down to 11-15 over time
                    reverse grip smith press (11-15rp) I have been curious why alot of users like 11-15 for this movement as oppose to a 15-20 r/p with close grip smith press. I used to love jm presses as it combined a tricep extension with a close grip bench, but you have to use a barbell. Have yet to try out barbell r/p though and not sure how that would go.

B1
                    incline dumbell curls (20-30rp)I agree, these are a great bicep exercise especially with accentuating the stretch at the bottom
                    pin wheel curls (15-20rp) Go with 15-20rp
                    lying leg curl (15-30rp)Consider a more narrow rep range. My thought process is such that with a smaller rep range you'll be able to increase the weight more frequently. How would you do with 15-20rp? I could do that if you think thats best, I usally like heavy weights for high reps especially for legs- I usally try for at least 20 rp range for hams but still have down in my log book 15-30, ill change it and try it out if you prefer the smaller rep range.
                    leg press (6-10 ss) (20 + WM) I like leg press WMs. Been doing leg press for a while with WM and I love it just because how tough it can be. Once finished a set couldn't walk for an extended time and ended up with a full blood shot right eye :suspiciou.

A2
                    Decline db press (20-30rp) I do a lot of DB exercises and do not have training partner. Just grind it out. But a decline machine press is not a bad idea. Well than I will continue on trucking with the db then.
                    hammer shoulder press (11-20rp) Go with either 11-15rp or 15-20rp. Ill go with 15-20 still iffy with rotator cuff.
                    tricep ext. pjr pullover (15-30 rp) thinking of switching these to dip machine due to rotator problems Go with the dip machine in the 15-20rp range. Gotta love dips for mass. Have never used the dip machine much due to preferring free dips. But since my shoulder getting worse free dips are out of the question from the strain on the shoulder. Love dips, so good to see you like the dip machine, will switch over to the machine dips then.
                    dante lat cable pulleys (15-30rp) I agree with the higher rep range on this since it is a pretty unique exercise in that it involves a lot of technique rather than brute strength. I never used it personally, but as Roymccoy said, he has been WMing it. Might want to give that a shot... I guess I might as well continue to use this and if progression slows ill switch out to another rack chin variation or hammer pull downs. Would still like to here more feedback on how members like these
                    overhand yates rows (6-9 ss) (10-15 ss) seen some rp these, not sure which way to do it. Perhaps it would be better to just switch this to rack chins. Rack chins are back width exercise. Do the yates rows SS for back health. My bad I meant I was thinking perhaps I should switch these out for rack DEADS not chins.

B2
                    drag curls (15-25rp) Probably handle a 20-30rp range on these. Will make the switch next times these come up
                    preacher one hand hammer curls (12-20ss) Go 15-20RP. Due to r/p these now I am thinking it may be to hard to do this with one arm per rp sets then do another r/p work set for the other arm. Maybe I should just do these as regular standing alternating hammer curls with the 15-20 rp.
                    Parillo stiff legged deadlifts (15-30rp) Do SLDL and variants last. I tried to see what the parilo version was but couldn't find a video. You can RP these if your back is healthy. This is the only hamsting exercise I have been doing after quads. I got it from dante and is shown in the jason wojo vid- Ill copy and paste dantes description down below

A3
                    Db military press (20-30rp) considering switching this to machine press, clean and press, or Poliquin Presses DB military presses are fine, as are machine presses and Poliquin presses. If doing the machine presses or Poliquin presses go with 11-15-rp. Clean and press isn't a good DC exercise IMO because of the variables that go into each rep. Since you like the db press I might as well stick with it and continue on progressing and save the poliquin presses to shock the system down the road.
                    close grip smith press (11-20rp)Go with 15-20RP. Will do, how is r/p with barbell? perhaps I should change this for jm presses.
                    wide grip pulldown (15-20rp) considering it may be better to do another rack chin variation like behind neck chins or betito chins Try behind the neck lat pulldowns in the 15-20RP range. Im am not sure about this one, have heard of many people who got rotator cuff problems from this exercise. Perhaps it may be safer to switch this if you prefer to under grip narrow pulldown,or Hammer strength iso-lateral pulldown maybe even nautilus pullover or betito rack chins

B3
                    preacher machine curls (15-25rp) Go with 15-20rp
                    reverse cable curl (12-20ss) go with 15-20rp. will do on both
                    sumo leg press (15-25ss) used to do these rest paused, but not sure of the proper way If you RP these, go with 15-20rp. However, considering you are doing BB squats next, you may opt for a more isolating exercise, like Glute Ham Raises in the 15-20RP range. Ill switch around the quad movement with putting leg press or hack on this day... or switch out the free squat for a front squat smith, regular smith squat, or v squat.

Comment

o and here is the copy and past of parillo stiff leg from dante

"Hamstrings: Now I didnt invent this (hence the title of the name of them) I REPEAT I DIDNT INVENT THIS EXERCISE OK! I have to state that because on a Canadian site they were accusing me of stealing (of all things) "broomstick stretches" because Vince Gironda I guess did them back in the 60's or something. I DONT CARE WHO ORIGINALLY DID IT, ITS A FREAKING BROOMSTICK STRETCH!!! Bottom line, does your shoulder feel better? Geez

Parillo stiff legged deadlifts (which Ron Harris talks about alot), invented BY JON PARILLO (to make that clear for my canadian friends)

Shoulders back, chest out, sternum high and back arched thru the whole movement. As you lower the bar your ass goes out and back . Stand up right now and freehand do this, with chest out and back arched and ass out. Cant go down too far can you? Your chest never flattens and your shoulders never come forward during the movement-if they start to, you raise back up. You will only be able to go down to probably knee level (if that) with the bar. If you can get any lower guess what? You probably arent doing them right. I would start light and get the form down (maybe 10 or 25lbs on each side of the bar)---and after warmups I would probably do these with a 15-30rp set (knee's slightly bent (slightly)"

Comment

TM,

Thanks for posting up this thread.

I've just got to add a few things here, just in perusing the info:

-YES - Pics would be very helpful. I'd be really interested to know yoru starting point to see if DC training is actually a choice right now.

-There's some nice info. in here about jockeying around exercise selectio and rep ranges, BUT much of this is mental masturbation at this point. You're going to have to rotate exercises at some point and chaning rep ranges from 11-15 to 15-20 can also be a way to keep things progressing.

The bottom line with setting up the exercises and rep ranges is that you go in there and, regardless of what small differences (some ARE important) that changing the ways exercises are coupled each day, you just friggin' get after the damn log book.

If you're thinking about whether you need to switch to a different rep range or trade out exercises in 6 weeks from or 6 mo. from now (IF you're doing DC training), moreso than thinking - "I don't give a rat's ass - I'm gonna rape my log book today" - then this is not the right program for you. DC is a thinking man's program outside the gym, but it's for the indominable when you're under the bar...

-S
                        The Book Has Arrived!
                        The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                        2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                        2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Ya homonunculus I know you wanted pics, was hoping I could get out of having to show them lol.

Never took pics for others to view, so really didn't know what I was doing and quality im sure wont be great from coming from my phone.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
                            [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6Y7l07uVS4[/YOUTUBE]

Big Ron doing it...personally I like to do it;

1) further out so my feet is on the ground and not up on the foot plates

2) with a rope with/without lifting straps

3) bend over more so I'm facing down at the bench

4) 20 rep it.

5) Keep in mind it's a finesse move not a power one. So not much body english and just put it all in the lats.
                            Thank you!!

Comment

As Scott said in his post, there is going to be a lot of switching things around and changes in rep ranges as you progress and eventually get beat up by your log book.

Through experience, you may find that some exercises work better in higher rep range and other better in low rep ranges, and this is personal to you. For example, you might be trying an exercise in a low rep range and after the first RP set you just hit a wall and really struggle on the next two, despite having a good first set. You may do better with a lighter weight in a higher rep range for that kind of exercise.

Also, I want to clarify and give the reasoning behind why I suggested RPing forearms. They simply tend to be a weak link for a lot of folks and RPing them will help build that up. However, this is up to you if you feel it would be beneficial. You may want to just RP two of three exercises, perhaps do the hammer curls in straight sets.

Thanks for the info on the Parillo SLDL, sound like they will work.

On B3) You already have hacks and leg presses in you rotation, so no repeating. Go with smith squats.

For A2) I like rack deads. Either the yates rows or rack deads work, but you are going to be rotating sometime down the road....keep that in mind

As for the behing the neck lat pulldowns, I have had a torn labrum and dislocated shoulder and REALLY like these. As long as you are not jerking around the weight, I see no issues. But if you experience any problems at all, swap out something like machine or hammer strength lat pulldowns. Keep the focus on exercises that allow you to use big weight and allow for constant progression.
                              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                              2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                              2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Working...
                              X