Intro to DC Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intro to DC Training

I'll give a little insight on my stats for everyone. I have been lurking around the boards, reading and trying to get as much info on DC before I start asking stupid questions.
    I am 28 years old, been working out since I was 14 doing the typical bench, presses, and curls routine but got into lifting seriously in high school. Well, went to college and fell in love with the weights. I always stuck with the typical bodybuilding split, monday through friday hitting 1 bodypart a day type thing. Seemed to work good, but at the time I had all the time to lay around and not do shit. Got out of college, got married, had a baby, etc. High volume routines do not look good to me anymore : ) Well, back in april I tore my right pec doing decline bench. That shit was no fun being cooped up not being able to work out for 6 months. It did not require surgery, muscle didnt tear off humerus bone. So I was lucky with that at least. The thing is, I went from 232 from a decent bodyfat down to 220 in those months just resting. Well, when I was able to train again, this time I was doing low volume 6 sets per bodypart 3 days a week... boom, I passed 232 no problem. This leads me to believe, that i was wasting my time doing all the volume.
    I have been reading DC for a while, I am ready to give this a go now. I have no time to be in the gym all night long doing set after set and not seeing any progress for months at a time.
    Looking for encouragement on this site since my other gym buddies do not agree on the low volume workouts.
    Thanks..
    Oh by the way, sorry for the long post but I figured I needed to show a little about myself before everybody started saying "you are not ready for DC" well... My lifts are
    Squat 415 for 4 reps. ass to ground
    bench 315 for 8 reps. gotta be careful now days. Elbows tucked to sides
    Deads 405 for anywhere from 5 -8 depends on straps or not
    So I think I have a good enough strenght base
    Please let me know what everyone thinks.. Looking for some heads up on the program if I get stuck anywhere

oh by the way, the pec tear was april 2011.. just to clarify

Comment

Don't listen to ur gym buddies. just go out there and attack it with everything you've got and prove them wrong. Good luck!

Comment

It sounds like you are ready. Only you know your body, and if DC/low volume works best, then go for it!

I used volume for years and never experienced the results I have with DC training. The low volume and intensity fits my workout style and prevents me from overtraining. When I was doing volume I would bring great intensity but burn out quickly because I was trying to do every exercise like that day in and day out.

I just love the mindset you go into the gym with DC. You stare at the logbook and think, "WTF! I have to beat THAT!?"...."Bring that shit on!" One set, that's it, you one chance to put in everything you have or go the hell home.

Here is great thread for a template to use to set up your promgam.

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=31602
        Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
        2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
        2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I'm a DC noob, but come from a similar base as you, only 100 pounds heavier bodyweight, ha. I had a moderate left pec strain from decline bench and dips, it happened somewhere between the two movements. I followed the powerlifting routines, making progress here and there, got competitive, did decent, but always burned out. I finished my last meet in Feb, and decided it was time to switch gears. Instead of 3 sets of 8, 5x5, etc etc, I started on DC. I've made progress in half the time, and don't feel as beat down. I like having the ability to look at my log, get amped, throw everything I've got in to that set, and then sit there catching my breath, or trying to walk again after a set of leg presses or squats.

If you think you're ready, go all in. If your buddies are laughing saying it's a waste, find new buddies in the gym. This sport isn't at all about what anyone else thinks, it's about what you want, and what your body and mind need. Hell, your buddies should be reading here and encouraging you to bust ass in the gym instead of naysaying.
          …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

preciate the input fellas.. I have been reading about DC and everything that is said makes sense to me. I have finally dropped the mentality that more sets equals more growth. Yeah I dont' give a shit what the guys at the gym say.. I work out by myself anyways, but it's always good to have someone who has the same type mentality so you can discuss things.. Hence, thats why I'm joining this forum. I hope to bring a log to this board, maybe it'll get some following from yall and maybe a few hints here and there will be of great thanks

Comment

People at my gym thought I was off the wall doing what I was doing...now there is freaking cult.

I may not have become "massive" but I did gain a good amount of weight and have actually gotten leaner (good diet and coach of course) and people are constantly asking me what I am doing.

Results speak...
              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by CmCMack View Post
                preciate the input fellas.. I have been reading about DC and everything that is said makes sense to me. I have finally dropped the mentality that more sets equals more growth. Yeah I dont' give a shit what the guys at the gym say.. I work out by myself anyways, but it's always good to have someone who has the same type mentality so you can discuss things.. Hence, thats why I'm joining this forum. I hope to bring a log to this board, maybe it'll get some following from yall and maybe a few hints here and there will be of great thanks
                Start the journal, it's a great way to get input and tips from folks who are more well versed in DC. The link that MF posted has a good template in it, I started using it when I first started.
                …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

good deal. I am excited to start. I will start up Monday.
                  When yall first start up, do you need to start a little lower on poundages and increase as you go so you don't stall out as fast. Say for instance, I could Hammer Strenght 4 plates for 10 rp 4 + 3 right now.. Should I do my first day a little lighter 3 plates and a 25 and do the same rest pauses and progress from there? Strenght wise I usually get strong fast so either way i'm down to do whatever

Comment

Originally posted by CmCMack View Post
                    good deal. I am excited to start. I will start up Monday.
                    When yall first start up, do you need to start a little lower on poundages and increase as you go so you don't stall out as fast. Say for instance, I could Hammer Strenght 4 plates for 10 rp 4 + 3 right now.. Should I do my first day a little lighter 3 plates and a 25 and do the same rest pauses and progress from there? Strenght wise I usually get strong fast so either way i'm down to do whatever
                    Start with a weight that you can progress from, don't take it easy IMO. If you need to, use the first two weeks to get your baseline for heavy training.

FOr example, if your rep range for the HS chest press is 11-15 and you can already do 17RP reps with 4 plates, you should go heavier than 4 plates, perhaps 4 plates plus a 10. I like to start in the lower end of the rep range and work my way to the top and then up the weight.

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Makes sense.. Thanks for yalls input

Comment

Alright guys, Getting ready to start this sunday night my blast for DC. Let me know if the exercises fit the bill...

chest- Incline Smith Machine, Flat HS Chest Press, DB Incline Bench. DB for pec and shoulder purposes... I will keep the rep range 15 to 20 on these. Sound Okay?

Shoulders - Smith Press, DB Press, Behind Neck Smith Press

Triceps - Close Grip Bench, Dips, skullcrushers. Quick question - my gym has a pushdown that allows max poundages.. would v-bar pushdowns be okay. Sometimes skullcrushers bug my elbows, so I may swap out skullcrushers just in case. Any thoughts?

Back Width - Pullups, Rack Chins, Pulldowns
                        Thickness - Dead Lift, Hammer Rows, Rack Deads or Tbar.. Not sure on that yet

Biceps - Standing EZ curl, Incline DB Curl, Preacher Curl
                        Forearms - Pinwheel, Reverse Curls, Hammer Curls.. Are these all done SS or RP?

Quads - Squat, V-Squat Machine, Leg Press
                        Hamstrings - Lying Leg curls, Stiff Leg Deads, Standing Leg Curls
                        Calves - Standing, Seated, Sled Toe Press

Also, Including Neck Harness.. Front, sides, back on the cable pulleys.. same DC fashion.. all straight sets though

any comments welcome

Comment

Can you show how it looks with the reps ranges and in the A1), B1), A2), B2), A3), B3) layout?

It would be easier for anyone to make suggestions because we can see how certain exercises can work together.

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Sure thing

a1) Sunday

Comment

sorry didnt mean to send that. delete post please

Comment

Working...
                              X