Limited summer workout time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limited summer workout time

My kids are spending a majority of the summer with me this year and it is really going to limit the available time I can hit the gym. I have been working out for around three years and have been doing DC for about the last six months. I'll keep this short... Basically, I am going to have tuesday, wednesday and thursday to get to the gym for the next nine weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as a program? I'm not naive enough to think I can continue they types of gains I have been getting (M,W,F split), but I definitely don't want to lose anything...

Tuesday- Chest, shoulders, tris

Wednesday- Bi's. Forearms, Quads

Thursday- Back, Hams, Calves

**not an expert** Just something I would Do with that schedule. Obviously more volume than usual, but hitting every muscle.

EDIT: If I am out of line to post in this thread, Mods please delete my response.
    Last edited by TLopez; 05-25-2012, 01:39 PM.
    2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

When I am on limited gym time in the summer (I travel a lot, and coach my daughter's softball team). I do a bastardized version of the 3 way split.
      A. Chest/Tris/Shoulders
      B. Legs
      C. Bis/Back
      I put A,B, and C, instead of the days of the week, as it really doesn't matter what day it is as long as I get all three of these in for the week. They are still trained "DC style" with stretches and Rest Pause, etc..., except you don't get back to "A" (Chest/Tris/Shoulders in this example) all the time. Good luck. You can still progress and beat the log book this way. You might even be surprised with your gains having the extra recovery built in, especially if you are old like me! ;-)
      "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

Comment

I would basically do this BUT I would do chest, delta and tris on wed to keep at least one day between back and legs. I would also squat one week with no lower back work on back day (no deads, racks or .maybe even no bent rows) and the next week I would do deads or racks on back day and nothing that works the lower back on leg day (no squats, front squats, smith squats and maybe not even any hacks). I see no reason why you can't gain on that schedule...days off between workouts are ideal and IMHO provide for better recovery but you van still make progress.

Peace.

Originally posted by TLopez View Post
        Tuesday- Chest, shoulders, tris

Wednesday- Bi's. Forearms, Quads

Thursday- Back, Hams, Calves

**not an expert** Just something I would Do with that schedule. Obviously more volume than usual, but hitting every muscle.

EDIT: If I am out of line to post in this thread, Mods please delete my response.
        Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
        Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
        Nicki Minaj

Comment

Get up earlier when they are sleeping and save more time to hang out with them. They are only with you for 9 weeks this summer, make it a good one.
          Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
          FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
          www.316fit.com
          Email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
            Get up earlier when they are sleeping and save more time to hang out with them. They are only with you for 9 weeks this summer, make it a good one.
            I would like you to ignore my previous post and listen to fade. Best advice given so far.
            Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
            Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
            Nicki Minaj

Comment

I agree... I don't have them weds, thurs and friday during the day. They are too young to leave alone, even while sleeping and I don't want to miss time with them sending them 2 a sitter so I can work out on the other days.

Thanks everyone for the abbreviated workout schedule advice. All input is appreciated!!

Comment

^^^^^^^^This.....if not, just do the two way split, but only hit it Tues and Thurs......basically upper, rest, then bis and legs.....I have trained similar to this before, only hitting the gym twice a week and had decent results....if nothing else you get a ton of recovery time. Over 9 weeks, I doubt the lack if frequency is gonna KILL ya.....
                STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Steel, in sticking with a DC template, would you still do a 3 exercise rotation, or would you modify that in any way?

Comment

Originally posted by pearlharbor1207 View Post
                    Steel, in sticking with a DC template, would you still do a 3 exercise rotation, or would you modify that in any way?
                    I can really only tell you what I would do.....yea, I would stick with the 3 exercise rotation, cause you have 9 weeks, so you would hit each movement 3 times....that's enough frequency to see if you beat the logbook consistently ....I think you may be surprised in your progress with the added recovery....I don't know your age or level, but for me at my age, I certainly think twice a week would be enough to maintain, and possibly even grow some.....if your nutrition is there, you may be able to grow also....obviously it's not the way Dante intended to run it, but lack of time has gotta factor in here, and you're already doing the 2way with success....I'd just look at the 9 weeks as some added recovery, cruise for a couple weeks at the end, and then set it up properly and blast the shit out if it....

I'm very curious for Homon to chime in here. I'm sure he's worked with clients in the past who have had time issues like you.....
                    STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

I only lift 4 days a week, but could cut it to 3 if needed. FWIW, I follow 5/3/1 BBB template.
                      2005 HOA Natural Classic
                      2006 OCB Midwest
                      2007 ABA Natural Illinois
                      2008 HOA Natural Classic
                      NPC Mid-Illinois
                      NPC Midwest Open
                      NPC Natural Grand Prix
                      2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
                      USPA Illinois State
                      NGA Heart of America
                      NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
                        I can really only tell you what I would do.....yea, I would stick with the 3 exercise rotation, cause you have 9 weeks, so you would hit each movement 3 times....that's enough frequency to see if you beat the logbook consistently ....I think you may be surprised in your progress with the added recovery....I don't know your age or level, but for me at my age, I certainly think twice a week would be enough to maintain, and possibly even grow some.....if your nutrition is there, you may be able to grow also....obviously it's not the way Dante intended to run it, but lack of time has gotta factor in here, and you're already doing the 2way with success....I'd just look at the 9 weeks as some added recovery, cruise for a couple weeks at the end, and then set it up properly and blast the shit out if it....

I'm very curious for Homon to chime in here. I'm sure he's worked with clients in the past who have had time issues like you.....
                        Thanks for the reply... I'm 37 and hardly in competitive shape, but I'm making great gains. The part about recovery really makes sense, especially at my age. I'm actually pretty excited to see what kind of results I can get following your suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                        X