Spotting in DC Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotting in DC Training

I have a dedicated training partner who has spotted me for a long while. Ive always done routines that require/suggest a spotter. I've watched videos on DC training and never see a spotter helping the lifter to failure on, for example the last 2 reps. Should I have my partner spot me on the rest-pause movements to achieve failure or go until I can't get another rep by myself and take my rest? Thank you for the help and I apologize if this has been asked before, I just couldn't find it when I searched.

This is how I approach it, and Vets and Experts, please correct me if I am off-base.

In each of the rest-pause sets go until YOU fail (can no longer get another rep without breaking form). Log all of your clean reps in each of the RP sets. So if you get 8 clean reps on your first RP set and your spotter helps you with ninth, then you only log those 8 clean reps. You stop your RP set when you reach failure. If in the example I provided you struggled for your life on that 8th rep, then you know you are not going to be getting another one, so rack it at that time and take your breaths.

Once I complete your RP sets and move to a static hold I like to count in my head or look at a clock to see how long I can hold it on my own and log that time and then have a spotter lift the weight back back to the top of the rep and I perform a slow negative and have the spotter help lift it back up.

Hopefully that clarifies a little for you.

-Kris
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I use a spotter for safety purposes only. If they touch it or help me keep it moving, I don't count it.
      Max Muscle
      5020 Katella Ave.
      Los Alamitos, CA 90720
      www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

I agree with mental and roy both. I have a spotter, but if they help that rep doesn't count.

Use my discount code JHR112 and get 5% off at TrueProtein.com

"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weight!"-Ronnie Coleman

GET THE DAMN WEIGHT UP AND BEAT THE LOGBOOK WITH BIG WEIGHT JUMPS-Dante

Comment

same here. I like having a spotter because it helps push me through that extra rep knowing if it comes crashing down i have someone there to catch it. I like doing machines but i prefer free weights whenever possible. If my buddy touches the weight its a non rep.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I'll incorporate it into my training.

Comment

By no means dc expert but I also wouldn't do forced reps (you mentioned a spotter helping your last few reps) any time other than the final RP miniset. It's impossible to control how much your spotter helps from session to session so it would make progress that much more difficult to accurately assess. Analogous to not doing "cheat reps" on sets one and two

Comment

I have trained with and without a partner, and honestly, I usually would never even get a spot unless I was in a jam....I think most guys kinda know where they are gonna be rep wise, just from going off of their last rotation...I know that I base everything off of this, whether it be increase in reps or weight, I'm getting the number of reps I shoot for...Yes, there have been times when I just simply didn't "have it", for whatever reason on any given day.....There have also been times when my brother has just "tapped" the bar with his two fingers, and that was enough to get me to push it through. I'm counting that fucker! lol...Lately, since changing my routine up a bit, I have been going past failure on big movements (other than legs), where I need a spot on the last rep just to complete it...I will go till I can JUST get my final rep, then do another with a spot, kinda forced rep I guess....

When I was doing the DC two way split, I never had help on any reps unless I got a bit overzealous on my last r/p, kinda like YoungBB said, getting a hand with that final rep......
                STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

To go with part of what steel said... You kinda get a real good knack of controlling failure with experience. I can be doing a set... Be able to tell that I can get one more pretty easily but would fail if I tried 2 more... On that rep I will often slow the rep down (usually with a real slow negative) further so I can only barely finish the last rep. I am sure some of the guys that have been training a long time will know what I mean
                  Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
                  Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
                  Nicki Minaj

Comment

If you have a power rack available, what exercises really need a spotter anyway? Seems most people use it as an excuse so they can pretend they are stronger than they are.
                    PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

This is getting fucking ridiculous.

You are 100% unqualified to answer DC questions.

If you ever give advice in a DC thread again I will permanently ban you. STOP GIVING ADVICE AND INPUT THAT YOU ARE NOT QUALIFIED TO GIVE.

Originally posted by thedunhill225 View Post
                      To go with part of what steel said... You kinda get a real good knack of controlling failure with experience. I can be doing a set... Be able to tell that I can get one more pretty easily but would fail if I tried 2 more... On that rep I will often slow the rep down (usually with a real slow negative) further so I can only barely finish the last rep. I am sure some of the guys that have been training a long time will know what I mean
                      Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                      kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
                        I have trained with and without a partner, and honestly, I usually would never even get a spot unless I was in a jam....I think most guys kinda know where they are gonna be rep wise, just from going off of their last rotation...I know that I base everything off of this, whether it be increase in reps or weight, I'm getting the number of reps I shoot for...Yes, there have been times when I just simply didn't "have it", for whatever reason on any given day.....There have also been times when my brother has just "tapped" the bar with his two fingers, and that was enough to get me to push it through. I'm counting that fucker! lol...Lately, since changing my routine up a bit, I have been going past failure on big movements (other than legs), where I need a spot on the last rep just to complete it...I will go till I can JUST get my final rep, then do another with a spot, kinda forced rep I guess....

When I was doing the DC two way split, I never had help on any reps unless I got a bit overzealous on my last r/p, kinda like YoungBB said, getting a hand with that final rep......
                        That makes sense. Today was my first dc session and after doing it and seeing how it was (btw I loved it) I now understand a spotter isn't really needed except for safety reasons when I'm not in the power rack. Thanks for the input. I've always done blood and guts training and just decided to try a volume workout the past 3 months or so and am glad I'm back to the low volume, heavier weight.

Comment

Working...
                        X