Whey consumption problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whey consumption problem!

Recently, anytime I have a shake my stomach starts to hurt 5 minutes later. I have been drinking shakes for years with zero problems now all of a sudden, half way through a 25 pounder from TN, I am starting to have major issues. I can't even have a shake without feeling like death.

I took a week off from eating whey and then had a shake last night. Sure enough, I had the same problem still.

Anyone have a similar problem, or know what could be causing this? It's really starting to effect how much protein I can get in a day. Any help would be awesome! :llama:

Originally posted by phrozen View Post
    Recently, anytime I have a shake my stomach starts to hurt 5 minutes later. I have been drinking shakes for years with zero problems now all of a sudden, half way through a 25 pounder from TN, I am starting to have major issues. I can't even have a shake without feeling like death.

I took a week off from eating whey and then had a shake last night. Sure enough, I had the same problem still.

Anyone have a similar problem, or know what could be causing this? It's really starting to effect how much protein I can get in a day. Any help would be awesome! :llama:
    Are you mixing anything with it? It's possible there is some sort of built up intolerance issue that is going on...

I used to love bananas, but now anytime I eat one my stomach is aching like a deep dull ache for hours.
    Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
    FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
    www.316fit.com
    Email: [email protected]

Comment

I always just mix it with water.....Nothing has changed in my diet. Just one day the whey started killing my stomach. So I was hoping there might be something I could do about this to help handle the whey better.

Comment

What kind of whey?

Comment

Stop eating whey. There are plenty of protein options out there.
          Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
          Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
          Nicki Minaj

Comment

25 lbs. of whey? How'd you package it/store it? Might be a long shot but some creature might have gotten in there, hehe.
            Max Muscle
            5020 Katella Ave.
            Los Alamitos, CA 90720
            www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Honestly sounds like an intolerance.

I was having similar issues and Scott recommended I rotate my proteins every so often and since then my digestive issues have subsided significantly.

Possibly try using various protein powders and food sources of proteins for a couple of weeks and see if things shape up for you.

You can also try using some digestive enzymes or take protease enzymes.
              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
              2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
              2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

25 lbs? It sounds like you have one of the recession blends. If that's the case, don't those only come in the free food grade bag? The only reason I ask is that I always opted for protein with the plastic jug with scoop option available for concern of the bag tearing/sitting some place warm too long and becoming easily stale or denatured. That's just my speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadriceps View Post
                  What kind of whey?
                  one of the recession packages from true nutrition

Originally posted by thedunhill225 View Post
                  Stop eating whey. There are plenty of protein options out there.
                  Yes, but protein powders really help and I don't want to throw out 200$ worth of good whey lol.

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
                  25 lbs. of whey? How'd you package it/store it? Might be a long shot but some creature might have gotten in there, hehe.
                  I keep it in the food grade bag with a clip in a sealed box.

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                  Honestly sounds like an intolerance.

I was having similar issues and Scott recommended I rotate my proteins every so often and since then my digestive issues have subsided significantly.

Possibly try using various protein powders and food sources of proteins for a couple of weeks and see if things shape up for you.

You can also try using some digestive enzymes or take protease enzymes.
                  This makes a lot of sense. I might have to do that....Sucks I need to order more protein though LOL.

Originally posted by FRANK_KOVACIC View Post
                  25 lbs? It sounds like you have one of the recession blends. If that's the case, don't those only come in the free food grade bag? The only reason I ask is that I always opted for protein with the plastic jug with scoop option available for concern of the bag tearing/sitting some place warm too long and becoming easily stale or denatured. That's just my speculation.
                  Yes that's what I have, but I don't think the whey has become stale or denatured. I have only had it for a month and I keep it in a safe place.

I have no idea what this is, but it is so weird. I have never had a problem with whey and now out of no where, a two scoop shake brings me to my knees LOL.

Comment

I used to have that problem (and sometimes still do) if I had a whey shake with nothing else. I have gotten hypoglycemic more than once from downing a whey-only shake with no other food. Ever since I changed to whey + casein for MRP and always make sure to have other food with a whey-only mix, I've never had that problem.
                    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                    kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by phrozen View Post

This makes a lot of sense. I might have to do that....Sucks I need to order more protein though LOL.

Yes that's what I have, but I don't think the whey has become stale or denatured. I have only had it for a month and I keep it in a safe place.

I have no idea what this is, but it is so weird. I have never had a problem with whey and now out of no where, a two scoop shake brings me to my knees LOL.
                      As long as it's good and not contaminated, you can likely slowly mix small amounts of it back into another protein blend that you tolerate, e.g., add a half-scoop at a time and use 1.5 scoops of another blend or some other protein source that you tolerate.

(I'd also check out Sammy's info. and see if this still happens when taking the whey with fruit juice, for instance, in case it's a glycemia issue.)

-S
                      The Book Has Arrived!
                      The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                      2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                      2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
                        Are you mixing anything with it? It's possible there is some sort of built up intolerance issue that is going on...

I used to love bananas, but now anytime I eat one my stomach is aching like a deep dull ache for hours.
                        Same here, as far as bananas in their natural state are concerned. The deep, dull ache felt like a soft punch in my stomach... If I cook or bake them, or eat them dry, I don't have any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                          As long as it's good and not contaminated, you can likely slowly mix small amounts of it back into another protein blend that you tolerate, e.g., add a half-scoop at a time and use 1.5 scoops of another blend or some other protein source that you tolerate.

(I'd also check out Sammy's info. and see if this still happens when taking the whey with fruit juice, for instance, in case it's a glycemia issue.)

-S
                          Hey scott. When you have people rotate protein sources to keep from building intolerances, how long do you have them use a protein before rotating it?? Also, do you have them completely change the protein source, such as going from whey to just egg or just casein, or could it be something as subtle as changing from cfm whey to a different form of whey, or even a blend of two different forms of whey and or protein??

Comment

Originally posted by boatman View Post
                            Hey scott. When you have people rotate protein sources to keep from building intolerances, how long do you have them use a protein before rotating it?? Also, do you have them completely change the protein source, such as going from whey to just egg or just casein, or could it be something as subtle as changing from cfm whey to a different form of whey, or even a blend of two different forms of whey and or protein??
                            Since I'm sure there are some people with digestive tracks lined with iron and never have any issues requiring rotating food sources (I have several friends like this...lucky them) I'll just comment on my particular case. For me, I had issues eating Greek yogurt every day in portions exceeding 8 oz.. We switched things in and out over a couple of weeks to narrow down the source and that was it. Once I reduced my Greek yogurt consumption digestion improved.

This also happened with eating too many sweet potatoes...strange right? And honestly, I can't remember the last time I ate them.

As for protein powders, Scott knows I love experimenting with new blends, and I always have several different kinds on hand so anymore it isn't a big problem. However, before building my protein stockpile, after using one blend for about 15 or so pounds worth, I started getting a little gassy from it and now I am sure to move from one kind to another after about 10-15 pounds. For me, the changes were as simple as using a different form of whey, not necessarily going from whey to casein or egg.
                            Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                            2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                            2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I'm curious, what carb sources have you found digest the best for you.

Definitely not strange at all. Everyone has different bacteria in their gut, different digestive capacities, etc.

So far I have found out I digest the quinoa flakes much better then oats, white potatoes and white rice are good, as is brown rice pasta without the bran. Most tropical fruits like banana, kiwi, pineapple, etc are great. I am going to pull out yams and see if doing more of the other stuff makes a differenc (peeling the skin off the yams alone made a difference).

Even small things like adding grated ginger root, or just ground ginger powder helps, and spice like cayenne, curry, etc seem to help as well in meals. (and of course beating hcl caps and enzymes).

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                              Since I'm sure there are some people with digestive tracks lined with iron and never have any issues requiring rotating food sources (I have several friends like this...lucky them) I'll just comment on my particular case. For me, I had issues eating Greek yogurt every day in portions exceeding 8 oz.. We switched things in and out over a couple of weeks to narrow down the source and that was it. Once I reduced my Greek yogurt consumption digestion improved.

This also happened with eating too many sweet potatoes...strange right? And honestly, I can't remember the last time I ate them.

As for protein powders, Scott knows I love experimenting with new blends, and I always have several different kinds on hand so anymore it isn't a big problem. However, before building my protein stockpile, after using one blend for about 15 or so pounds worth, I started getting a little gassy from it and now I am sure to move from one kind to another after about 10-15 pounds. For me, the changes were as simple as using a different form of whey, not necessarily going from whey to casein or egg.
                              Last edited by boatman; 04-14-2012, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X